How to get closer to God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Do not expect anything. Everything we do for God is the bare minimum. For he is the perfect friend. When there is no one else, he will always be at your side, even if you don't realize it.

There was a time, when I was distraught. I was homeless, bloody and broken. Sobbing in the heavy rain. As I looked up, I saw lights all around, and with the tears and rain, they formed themselves into crosses, and in that moment, I realized that in truth, God was all around me. Having my back, like. So knelt down in prayer. In the while I was there, I didn't really ask for anything, I thanked, and revered the lord. I talked about what was going on, like you would a friend. Then in silence, I started suddenly having a clear mind, and thinking of solutions to the problem, as they came, I did not ask to make these things happen, but stated how I will work to make them happen.

Then I made my request, and it was only that God will stand by my side as I make these changes, and as I got up, I wished God to have a goodnight, and got up, with the realization that perhaps these challenges were not given to me as some curse, or punishment, or that the world or God was completely unfair, but perhaps I was entrusted, to receive the challenge, to harden my spirit, and rise above it. A while after that, I started going to church, and reading the bible.

So I guess my suggestion would be, when you speak to God, treat him as you would a old friend. Talk, not just ask or revere him. Go over your day and your plans, and most importantly, give him that time to talk to you. Even if it means sitting in meditation for a while.
The reason your prayer was answered was because you were listening to the Lord and accepted His answer. Some people are so absorbed with their own minds that constantly chatter to them that they don't hear the Lord when the Lord speaks to them. That is why David told us to meditate on the words of the Lord, so those words override the words of our own mind.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I'm going through a difficult time and the only thing that's been helping me get through this is God. I watch videos about God, I go to church, I pray, I read the bible, but I want to get closer to God. I don't know what else to do... Any recommendations? I hear some people can listen to God speak to them. I would like to get some sort of connection like that if it's possible.
My sheep know my voice. That is what Jesus said so it must be true. There is an old saying if you can't find God, guessed who has moved? Wherever you are God is there. Do you expect him to speak to you? If you do he will. I speak to him and ask his advice on the most simple of things. I get answers because I expect to get answers. I am not going to tax my brain for all sorts of answers to problems and situations if I don't have to.

if I am shopping and I want a particular product and I have a choice between this or that, I will let God tell me which one to buy. Why think about it if you don't have to.

A lot depends on whether you are focusing on religon or relationship. Religion is what you get in church. Relationship is what you get in your walk with him. Religion cannot give you relationship so it is important not to rely on it if you want to grow.

Paul said " That I may know him." He did not say " That I may know about him." You can know everything about God there is to know but if you do not know him in your knowing, you will only know about him.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and ALL these things will be added to you. Are you a seeker or a sitter. Are you standing on the promises or sitting on the premises.

May 31, 2021
My sheep know my voice. That is what Jesus said so it must be true. There is an old saying if you can't find God, guessed who has moved? Wherever you are God is there. Do you expect him to speak to you? If you do he will. I speak to him and ask his advice on the most simple of things. I get answers because I expect to get answers. I am not going to tax my brain for all sorts of answers to problems and situations if I don't have to.

if I am shopping and I want a particular product and I have a choice between this or that, I will let God tell me which one to buy. Why think about it if you don't have to.

A lot depends on whether you are focusing on religon or relationship. Religion is what you get in church. Relationship is what you get in your walk with him. Religion cannot give you relationship so it is important not to rely on it if you want to grow.

Paul said " That I may know him." He did not say " That I may know about him." You can know everything about God there is to know but if you do not know him in your knowing, you will only know about him.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and ALL these things will be added to you. Are you a seeker or a sitter. Are you standing on the promises or sitting on the premises.
Thanks so much for your response. I am happy to say that God has been so good to me even though I am not worthy. I have felt more at peace with my situation and that's all thanks to him. I have been listening to him talk to me through people and the bible. I give thanks to him. I love him with all my heart. I pray everyday that I may become a good person and stop with selfish thoughts. I pray that he will guide me to my purpose so that I may serve him with all his glory. It's been a rough couple of weeks but he has been so merciful to me.

Jazzie

May 24, 2021
Don't expect or wait for feelings. I got myself confused by seeking a feeling to validate my prayers. Feelings and thoughts that churn through the mind are like noise that can drown out God's voice.
Excellent point.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I love reading the Psalms , and where there is praise , I stop and praise the LORD our God...I will say " Yes O God , I agree , You and You alone are worthy of all praise " and as I go along reading , I stop in agreement with the Psalmist and say " Yes O God , I agree , I agree with this Psalmist LORD , You are all these wonderful things that are spoken in Your name "

I believe we can all struggle , especially with prayer , but the Psalms especially help me to worship if I feel my prayer life that day is dry...

Before I know it , I am no longer dry , but thirsting after God , and lifting my hands up in praise and talking to Him , sometimes more often than not with tears from my eyes , no longer dry but yearning after Him...

All the glory to Him I say Amen...
...xox...

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks so much for your response. I am happy to say that God has been so good to me even though I am not worthy. I have felt more at peace with my situation and that's all thanks to him. I have been listening to him talk to me through people and the bible. I give thanks to him. I love him with all my heart. I pray everyday that I may become a good person and stop with selfish thoughts. I pray that he will guide me to my purpose so that I may serve him with all his glory. It's been a rough couple of weeks but he has been so merciful to me.
FACT: We mature in our trials, not our successes.

HumbleOne

Jul 10, 2021
I'm going through a difficult time and the only thing that's been helping me get through this is God. I watch videos about God, I go to church, I pray, I read the bible, but I want to get closer to God. I don't know what else to do... Any recommendations? I hear some people can listen to God speak to them. I would like to get some sort of connection like that if it's possible.
If you like to read, these two books provide great insight. Flying closer to the flame (Charles Swindol) hopeful I spelled his last name correctly. Experience God (Henry blackaby). Check it out.

Allenjax

Aug 10, 2021
Do not expect anything. Everything we do for God is the bare minimum. For he is the perfect friend. When there is no one else, he will always be at your side, even if you don't realize it.

There was a time, when I was distraught. I was homeless, bloody and broken. Sobbing in the heavy rain. As I looked up, I saw lights all around, and with the tears and rain, they formed themselves into crosses, and in that moment, I realized that in truth, God was all around me. Having my back, like. So knelt down in prayer. In the while I was there, I didn't really ask for anything, I thanked, and revered the lord. I talked about what was going on, like you would a friend. Then in silence, I started suddenly having a clear mind, and thinking of solutions to the problem, as they came, I did not ask to make these things happen, but stated how I will work to make them happen.

Then I made my request, and it was only that God will stand by my side as I make these changes, and as I got up, I wished God to have a goodnight, and got up, with the realization that perhaps these challenges were not given to me as some curse, or punishment, or that the world or God was completely unfair, but perhaps I was entrusted, to receive the challenge, to harden my spirit, and rise above it. A while after that, I started going to church, and reading the bible.

So I guess my suggestion would be, when you speak to God, treat him as you would a old friend. Talk, not just ask or revere him. Go over your day and your plans, and most importantly, give him that time to talk to you. Even if it means sitting in meditation for a while.
Yes. God is always by your side. Love him fiercely, without doubt, and his comfort will find you. Don't let the evil one tell you otherwise.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

"But I've gotta get closer"

O

Oblio

Search for Him, whole-hearted desperation works good, and don't quit until you find Him. And I promise you, you will find Him.
I did this for four months and I found Him in a way I'd never known Him before. I found my Father. That was in 1994 and though I've had many trials and tribulations since then, our hearts have stayed connected. Jeremiah 29:13

O

Oblio

"But I've gotta get closer"
So do I, that is, sing to the Lord everywhere I go. Perhaps you are a worship leader? You are definitely a worshiper!

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Timing is everything I have found with Jesus sister. Before we eat dinner, do we not first prepare? Before we fly to meet those we love do we not prepare? Of Course!! And so it is with Holy Spirit in us sis. You first need to be prepared so that the task Jesus may give you there will be no doubt in your mindset.

It was 3 years for me after I became a believer,and I was a late bloomer,Jesus got a hold of me in a mop closet in College. LOL Of all places!! ( Please read my testimony, but have some popcorn with you,its kind of long lol) Its like riding a bike sis,you will get some bumps along the way,but sticking to it, why you rode!! NEVER give up!!!

Do not let your feeling guide you life without the leading of Holy Spirit.( John 16:13 and Rom 8:11-16!!) The Lord will never give more then one can handle,but!!!! He will allow your faith to be challanged, so you know,so you become confident,so you conquer through his mighty Word and name! Blessing sister!!