How to know when it's Really official?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ManiaStar

Nov 14, 2015
I'm afraid of what his answer will be Better to know his intent than to get emotionally hurt. Perhaps he's a rookie at this too...but he can still be more vocal about his intent...for the sake of both himself and you.
Yes, I do agree w/ that. I just don't know how to bring the topic up. He tells me we're going to be together forever and that's how I feel too.

Jan 24, 2009
I know a few people who have been married for years and they've never updated their facebook status as to married and still says single. Not everyone updates their facebook status to what they're dating/marriage life is. I even know others who are dating who don't have their facebook status updated as to saying dating. A Lot of people Don't do that.
My guess is that a majority of married couple's friends know the couples are married?

Seems your situation is a bit different, as indicated by the thread you started. :p

ManiaStar

Nov 14, 2015
we mutually liked each other What does "like" mean?
Like means that we like each other more then just friends. 3 years ago, he actually asked me if i wanted to date him but at the time, I was afraid of doing anything to hurt our friendship and wasn't ready but, several times in btwn then and now we have talked more about it and I have told him that I really like/love him and am willing to give it a try and he shook his head in agreement bc we just click and we just get each other.

ManiaStar

Nov 14, 2015
My guess is that a majority of married couple's friends know the couples are married?

Seems your situation is a bit different, as indicated by the thread you started. :p

Hmm, yes, you most possibly have something there. You're right.

Jan 24, 2009
Yes, I do agree w/ that. I just don't know how to bring the topic up. He tells me we're going to be together forever and that's how I feel too.
Feelings can be very deceptive.

From your other posts, it appears this guy is not a rookie.

If he's been in relationships, then it's time for him to vocally commit. Otherwise, he's being a wuss.

He can also be more vocal for the sake of your feelings/emotions/needs/security.

Aug 16, 2016
I have never been in a relationship before so, this is all brand new to me. I keep hoping he'll bring the topic up but it's not happening and I'm really nervous to bring the topic up bc I'm afraid of what his answer will be but, since we've been kissing and cuddling for 6 months now, to me it seems like we're dating, It's so confusing to me.
I hope you two will become comfortable having these discussions with each other. Communication is key to any successful relationship. Normally people who have been kissing & cuddling for that long are in relationships.

Jan 24, 2009
Like means that we like each other more then just friends. 3 years ago, he actually asked me if i wanted to date him but at the time, I was afraid of doing anything to hurt our friendship and wasn't ready but, several times in btwn then and now we have talked more about it and I have told him that I really like/love him and am willing to give it a try and he shook his head in agreement bc we just click and we just get each other.
So it's time for him to make it official.

You can vocal express that you desire that commitment, and if he's a man, he'll vocally agree to it.

Then it should be exclusive...meaning you each are focused only on the other...and exploring compatibility(i.e. - interests, politics, faith/beliefs, goals, etc.).

Jan 24, 2009
I hope you two will become comfortable having these discussions with each other. Communication is key to any successful relationship. Normally people who have been kissing & cuddling for that long are in relationships.
Besides that, physical affection won't hold the relationship together forever. It's the brain and heart that will do that.

ManiaStar

Nov 14, 2015
Normally, we're extremely open w/ each other about everything, except this. It's a difficult topic.

ManiaStar

Nov 14, 2015
Besides that, physical affection won't hold the relationship together forever. It's the brain and heart that will do that.
So, can you give me some hints as to HOW to bring the topic up w/o it sounding too cheesy or making it too difficult for me?

I am soooo afraid of bringing the subject up.

Jan 24, 2009
I was just kidding. It's official when you have declared your undying love for each other and would never cheat on each other. You have to make things clear. Why don't you just ask him? Assumptions only lead to confusion and misunderstandings that lead to heartbreaks.
full_be-a-yoda-not-a-grinch.jpg

Sound like me, you do!

ManiaStar

Nov 14, 2015
I was just kidding. It's official when you have declared your undying love for each other and would never cheat on each other. You have to make things clear. Why don't you just ask him? Assumptions only lead to confusion and misunderstandings that lead to heartbreaks.
I like your answer. I actually didn't see it right away til I read the quote from Test F 1 2 Luv ---

But you're right about the assumptions and misunderstandings. I am in the assumptions and confusion part right now. Deep confusion actually. But, either way, I would never cheat on him. I love him way too much to do anything to hurt him.

Jan 24, 2009
So, can you give me some hints as to HOW to bring the topic up w/o it sounding too cheesy or making it too difficult for me?

I'm a blunt person.

It makes me mad when people play games and toy with other people's emotions.

I don't know the guy's attitude or how considerate he is of other people's opinions/feelings/needs. If he's delicate, my approach might set him off.

That in mind, I'd say something like "I need to know where this relationship is going. Our actions suggest we are serious, but I haven't heard it with my ears. Tell me how you feel about our relationship".

If he talks about how serious the relationship is, but doesn't make it clear that it is an exclusive relationship, then I'd press on and ask if it's exclusive.

Hopefully others will give you ideas on what you might say/ask as well. :)

YO, PEOPLE!!

Jan 24, 2009
I like your answer. I actually didn't see it right away til I read the quote from Test F 1 2 Luv ---

But you're right about the assumptions and misunderstandings. I am in the assumptions and confusion part right now. Deep confusion actually. But, either way, I would never cheat on him. I love him way too much to do anything to hurt him.
Love does have a confusing affect at times...it's not unusual.

I would never cheat on him. I love him way too much to do anything to hurt him. Hopefully he feels the same way, though he isn't doing a good job of vocalizing it.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40

Get a couple shirt. Too cheesy. Lol!

Do anything that works to clear the confusion.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have never been in a relationship before so, this is all brand new to me. I keep hoping he'll bring the topic up but it's not happening and I'm really nervous to bring the topic up bc I'm afraid of what his answer will be but, since we've been kissing and cuddling for 6 months now, to me it seems like we're dating, It's so confusing to me.
Oddly enough when I read the OP my music-nerd brain started playing an old song.

"How bout the way he acts
Oh no, that's not the way
You're not listening to what I say
If you wanna know
If he loves you so
It's in his kiss
(That's where it is!)"

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
It's official when you have updated your FB relationship status. :rolleyes:
I remember an xkcd cartoon about this.

"So is this it? Are we a couple now?"

"I dunno. I like this... I just... dunno."

"Well... will you be my "it's complicated" on facebook?"

SIDE JOKE: "Yeah I would have broken up with her, but my internet connection was down."