How to overcome jealousy?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ManiaStar

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2015
381
29
28
Not relationship wise but friendship wise.

I hate going through this and I'm not sure how to overcome and move past it. I've been trying to pray about it but, feel overwhelmed inside and, it shouldn't be any issue at all but, it is
 
Be honest about it.

There's a friend I have I was jealous of because she was moving into assistant management position at a job we shared. I was going to be leaving the company soon and already had a new job, and I really had no reason to be jealous. I should be happy for my friend that she was moved into such a position. I knew feeling jealous or being jealous was wrong, but I still felt it. I revealed it to her and let her know that I didn't want to feel that way, but I did, and that I should be happy for her. She brought sympathy toward me, even though it wasn't necessary. But I do feel it helped heal the process, as it is no longer an issue for me. It was a way for me to be open before her, real, and honest.
 
Be honest about it.

There's a friend I have I was jealous of because she was moving into assistant management position at a job we shared. I was going to be leaving the company soon and already had a new job, and I really had no reason to be jealous. I should be happy for my friend that she was moved into such a position. I knew feeling jealous or being jealous was wrong, but I still felt it. I revealed it to her and let her know that I didn't want to feel that way, but I did, and that I should be happy for her. She brought sympathy toward me, even though it wasn't necessary. But I do feel it helped heal the process, as it is no longer an issue for me. It was a way for me to be open before her, real, and honest.

Sometimes it's difficult to bring the topic up. I feel I have insecurity issues and I don't want my friends to think I'm "needy" But, in my mind, I feel like someone else will take my place and then I won't have friends again because the past had been so bad for me and having good friends was rare so my jealousy reigns into my insecurities and makes me fearful.

I've tried praying about it and, it's only bothering me now again because my one friend is working a few states away for the next several weeks and I won't be seeing him so, it's my insecurities at play and I absolutely hate feeling like this. I feel like he's going to get close w/ the other guys he's working w/ leaving me out in the cold and dummy me, it's such an idiotic way to think but, how do I overcome those feelings of insecurity and nervousness as well?

Been praying about it a lot and have been receiving peace but, wow is it tough. I am happy that he has work and he does an awesome job but, how to stop those lies in my head that often times consume me.
 
I think that if its ur true friend ur love for each other will increase. Look at Jonathan and David..Jonathan always found ways to come and encourage his friend. The time and distance only proved the depth of their love. Yet if he is superficial friend its just the matter of time u to separate and take ur own ways... My mum says "there is no friendship but things in common" (i know she is unveliever but there is some truth in that statement). And btw Jesus came to bring separation (not peace but sword). I dont need friends. God knows my needs and he cares.
 
One is jealous when one thinks somebody else has something he should have. The only real cure for jealousy is perspective.
 
Not relationship wise but friendship wise.

I hate going through this and I'm not sure how to overcome and move past it. I've been trying to pray about it but, feel overwhelmed inside and, it shouldn't be any issue at all but, it is

Go cold turkey . Simply refuse to be jealous.
 
I was once so jealous of this poor young blind woman in my neighborhood because she was so liberated from the world and genuinely happy knowing Jesus as her friend and I was depressed and dissatisfied with my stinking life. In fact, it drove me to my knees begging her to tell me who Jesus was.

Sometimes jealousy is a good thing. :)