how to stop children from running inside

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
Force them all to carry scissors. Every child knows you should never run with scissors.

If this is too difficult, consider installing an indoor pool. Every child knows you should never run around a pool.
Knowing not to and actually not doing it are two different things. lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I don't currently have this problem at the moment (schools are closed)
but thank you for suggestions

I just kept saying WALKING all the time until they got it.
I might have to say it 490 times like a stuck record everyday but it seems to work

If they had all rushed in I did make the whole class go out and come back in again. After they do that a couple of times (and miss out on precious library time) it sort of sinks in. It the lunchtimes that were tricky.

when they start playing tiggy inside

ChrisTdot

Sep 1, 2017
I'd avoid doing the "whole class" punishment thing. Penalize those who don't comply and reward those who do, and consistently. Maybe Indoor/Outdoor behaviour reward chart, wherein you can reward the more rambunctious ones for exerting a lot of energy during gym classes but also keeping quiet & calm in class.

If they're young enough, teachers used to do clapping games or turn off the lights to get people to freeze and be quiet. Might be an okay tactic only when the chaos has spread lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'd avoid doing the "whole class" punishment thing. Penalize those who don't comply and reward those who do, and consistently. Maybe Indoor/Outdoor behaviour reward chart, wherein you can reward the more rambunctious ones for exerting a lot of energy during gym classes but also keeping quiet & calm in class.

If they're young enough, teachers used to do clapping games or turn off the lights to get people to freeze and be quiet. Might be an okay tactic only when the chaos has spread lol.
what, divide and conquer...no, I only did it when they were ALL acting up.

I am not their teacher so the reward chart would have to be like 450 children and cover up the entire wall of the library lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I do teach the satues game for the smallest class because they are so wriggly and cant sit still for long. also, because they are so little, the library seems much bigger to them lol.

ChrisTdot

Sep 1, 2017
what, divide and conquer...no, I only did it when they were ALL acting up.

I am not their teacher so the reward chart would have to be like 450 children and cover up the entire wall of the library lol
oooo I didn't realize you were the librarian, not the teacher taking them to the library. That's really hard.

Maybe stack a bunch of hazards around so they trip, knock their head and learn the hard way? lol. sorry. I'm all outta ideas.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Exercise discipline. You're in control, not them.

There are rules. Keep to those and don't waiver.

"Don't run in the house!"
If they run in the house set the punishment for disobedience.

Set them down for a time out. Cool their hyperactive jets.

There are rules and punishments awaiting when they leave the house. There are rules and punishments in scripture.

Make the rules, enforce the rules, insist your child respect you and the home, now. Because a child that was let to run wild with no rules, no discipline, growing up is a nightmare adult. They won't learn later in life what was the responsibility of the parent during their formative years.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Exercise discipline. You're in control, not them.

There are rules. Keep to those and don't waiver.

"Don't run in the house!"
If they run in the house set the punishment for disobedience.

Set them down for a time out. Cool their hyperactive jets.

There are rules and punishments awaiting when they leave the house. There are rules and punishments in scripture.

Make the rules, enforce the rules, insist your child respect you and the home, now. Because a child that was let to run wild with no rules, no discipline, growing up is a nightmare adult. They won't learn later in life what was the responsibility of the parent during their formative years.
you sound like a sergeant major lol

I dont really recall my parents having set a whole lot of rules myself. I just recall my mother had a bamboo switch and when that didnt work she just yelled at me (still does) and belittles me. The rules change according to how she feels at the time. She also doesnt feel she needs to observe the rules herself. They arent written down anywhere

I then thought well being a parent wont be any fun if thats the way it goes.

I think most children have experienced parenting this way where their parents threaten to give them a hiding or hit them with a jandal. I then had to deal with children being too scared to go home.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In the olden days at school the teacher would cane the boys on the bottom and strap the girls on the knuckles, or, get them to write lines.

I think some schools just do detention now.

My school doesnt do that, I think with troublesome children they tend to move them so they might go to a different class and also talk to the parents about the problem. They also have reward charts with stickers (golden rs for good behaviour) which I do use.

Some teachers are stricter than others though strict teachers tend to work a lot better in terms of class atmosphere than the more free teachers where their class becomes chaotic. But I think the chaotic classes seem to be more creative. I dont know..I guess there needs to be a medium. Ive seen teachers humilate a child in front of the whole class and its not pretty..witnessing an earbashing.

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
Some declare..."there's an inside voice and an outside voice"....walking is for inside..running is for outside.

I have also heard...rather than banning....a teacher used the "old- fashioned method" of a " time out"....where the offending student
has to sit on a chair for "a period of time"... young ones are not embarrassed by this..just figgetty...not wanting to sit still..
But older ones ARE embarrassed to do this in front of the others..and may "get razed" about it..
So they really don't want to get "a time out".

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents!...no offense.🤗

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
you sound like a sergeant major lol

I dont really recall my parents having set a whole lot of rules myself. I just recall my mother had a bamboo switch and when that didnt work she just yelled at me (still does) and belittles me. The rules change according to how she feels at the time. She also doesnt feel she needs to observe the rules herself. They arent written down anywhere

I then thought well being a parent wont be any fun if thats the way it goes.

I think most children have experienced parenting this way where their parents threaten to give them a hiding or hit them with a jandal. I then had to deal with children being too scared to go home.
My parents never belittled me. As a form of discipline or for any other reason.
My mom gave a half hearted effort in spanking me once.

Their method of discipline was simple. They told me what I wasn't allowed to do and for the most part I obeyed.

They never had to tell me to stay out from under the sink, and away from the household cleansers. I knew that on my own. Bleach ain't tasty. It's a given.

No, not a drill sergeant, just a parent of 5, grown now, who recognized and accepted the responsibility in raising future adults.I knew they could be raised to be responsible, honorable, good people.
Or not.
It was our choice and assumed responsibility.

I knew I would never be party to lazy parenting. I make the rules, dad makes the rules, you the children follow the rules or suffer the consequences. Either in discipline, or in finding out the hard way through pain, or loss.

Our kids were smart. They also never thought it a good idea to stick something in an electric outlet. Or, mess with household chemicals, etc...

And they turned out great. Happy, healthy, employed, educated. Three are raising families of their own. One is currently dedicated to their career. One is dating a possible future spouse.

The way we saw it, if we didn't care to put in the work, we shouldn't choose to have kids when parenting, good responsible parenting, takes work.

We refused to abdicate that responsibility. Because the children we raised today, were going to impact the future tomorrow. Better to be a asset than a liability.

And school didn't raise our kids either.

Unlike today where school assemblies seek to indoctrinate impressionable minds to accept all manner of nonsense as normal. Imparting the idea a parent raiding their voice is child abuse. Report them to the school counselor asap do that child can enter a "safe environment", etc...
Warning kids to beware if their parent hugs them, and if so, if it is too often.

And then, they introduce a drag dressed damned freak calling itself female, as they presume to "instruct" the children present about the particulars as relates to "deciding on what they want to be as, not when, they grow up".
As in, gender. It's a choice. Their body is a malleable vessel.

That type Satanic garbage is what our tax dollars support in our public schools.

My son found this out when he decided to attend a school assembly my granddaughter told him was scheduled the next day.

Both my children now homeschool the children. My third will also when the baby is old enough.

Satan and his recruits roam this world, with God's permission, and empowerment, seeking souls to devour.

They are more than welcome in my book to feast on the freaks.
As for me and my house, no! Not at all.Not ever.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
My parents never belittled me. As a form of discipline or for any other reason.
My mom gave a half hearted effort in spanking me once.

Their method of discipline was simple. They told me what I wasn't allowed to do and for the most part I obeyed.

They never had to tell me to stay out from under the sink, and away from the household cleansers. I knew that on my own. Bleach ain't tasty. It's a given.

No, not a drill sergeant, just a parent of 5, grown now, who recognized and accepted the responsibility in raising future adults.I knew they could be raised to be responsible, honorable, good people.
Or not.
It was our choice and assumed responsibility.

I knew I would never be party to lazy parenting. I make the rules, dad makes the rules, you the children follow the rules or suffer the consequences. Either in discipline, or in finding out the hard way through pain, or loss.

Our kids were smart. They also never thought it a good idea to stick something in an electric outlet. Or, mess with household chemicals, etc...

And they turned out great. Happy, healthy, employed, educated. Three are raising families of their own. One is currently dedicated to their career. One is dating a possible future spouse.

The way we saw it, if we didn't care to put in the work, we shouldn't choose to have kids when parenting, good responsible parenting, takes work.

We refused to abdicate that responsibility. Because the children we raised today, were going to impact the future tomorrow. Better to be a asset than a liability.

And school didn't raise our kids either.

Unlike today where school assemblies seek to indoctrinate impressionable minds to accept all manner of nonsense as normal. Imparting the idea a parent raiding their voice is child abuse. Report them to the school counselor asap do that child can enter a "safe environment", etc...
Warning kids to beware if their parent hugs them, and if so, if it is too often.

And then, they introduce a drag dressed damned freak calling itself female, as they presume to "instruct" the children present about the particulars as relates to "deciding on what they want to be as, not when, they grow up".
As in, gender. It's a choice. Their body is a malleable vessel.

That type Satanic garbage is what our tax dollars support in our public schools.

My son found this out when he decided to attend a school assembly my granddaughter told him was scheduled the next day.

Both my children now homeschool the children. My third will also when the baby is old enough.

Satan and his recruits roam this world, with God's permission, and empowerment, seeking souls to devour.

They are more than welcome in my book to feast on the freaks.
As for me and my house, no! Not at all.Not ever.
And for the record, it's not a five minute window to edit newly discovered auto correct errors or outright miskeys either. So please overlook the typos.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
oh ok so you only care for your own children then

Lets say you worked in a public school ?

what would you do? I guess you would just look down on them? I know some people do that and only think that their own biological children have brains and everyone elses are irredeemable little monsters.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I noticed some teachers by the time they reach year 6 regard some children as too slow for them as they think they oughht to have learned all there is to know by now and give up.

The child knows this and then goes through life thinking they are dumb or stupid because their teacher said so.

iF a child hasnt teached maturity they by then they kind of despair, but there are many special needs children in mainstream classes now. THey used to serparate them, I dont know if that method was better or not.

May 9, 2021
I teach adults so I don't have to worry too much about that. However, I did raise boys. They run because they are forever competing with each other. Maybe not consciously but subconsciously. My now adult sons still try to compete with each other. They were world-class sprinters in the house, jumping down the stairs, etc. Stopping that behavior was easy. I'd make them sit down immediately and then WALK back to where they started from and then WALK to where they were going. They hated it. It worked. I've also seen that used in elementary schools. In school, just quietly tell them that running is against the rules and they have to WALK back to wherever they started and WALK back.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm well if they running round in circles I supoose I could just order them to WALK around in circles.

or maybe just suggest another game like hide n seek instead of tiggy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well, my solution was to open a yum cha book restuarant in the library where they ad to sit at tables to read a book. I would come round with a trolley offering up tasty reading bites. If they were not seated at a table, they didnt get served.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
When we tell, say, ask, a child anything we should be will to back up what we have asked. first request. Running is for outside do not run in the house. Ok normal kids they dont stop . second time if you run in the house this will be your consequence. Never give a child a consequence you are not able or willing to use. I did not learn this until i was grandma. As mom i yelled a LOT .
As a librarian you dont stand a chance in this world, please do not give consequences you cannot complete.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
My three year old Great Granddaughter had two speeds. In nautical terms, all ahead full, and all stop. Granny arranged chairs in her path so she when she encountered one chair, she had to slow down or run into the next one. After a few trips through she removed the last chair until there was only one left. Now she comes into the room, walks around the chair and hugs Granny. I asked Granny when she was going to move the last chair. She said "I don't know, it's worth a hug to leave it there.

Interesting result though. She now walks instead of running.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
how to stop children from running inside?

What do you do?

I thought of having furniture barriers or a string curtain.
Or maybe a hamster wheel for them.
signs dont work as they cant or dont read them.

If they dont listen and keep disobeying, do you just ban them for life or what. Tired of playing traffic cop. Solutions please!
The hamster wheel sounds like a good idea.
Worth a try! 😄

Hamster Wheel

Here's your answer from a pastor who was invited to speak to a school in Guyana. -