How to we care for the elderly?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

presbygal

As the daughter of an aging mother I have lately had to stop and think about how I will continue to honor her and give her dignity in her old age. It seems that so many elderly lose this once they are ill or become dependent on a family member for care.

The following is what I found that speaks to this issue, and I find that it calls me back to what it means to be a Christian and to follow Christ in the everyday.

The following information is taken from a Resolution on the Ministry of Caregiving in Relation to Older Adults (the Office of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A, PDS 68-600-02-001). However, the need of care giving is something that transcends denominational boundaries.

Post World War II baby boomers are the fastest growing age group in the older population. As the lengthening of life increases, and as birthrates decline, the percentage of older individuals in the U.S. is growing rapidly. Statistics show that by the year 2030 20 percent of Americans will be 65 years and older with the fastest-growing group being 85 years and older.

Pastoral care in the church has traditionally fallen into four forms of caring: healing, sustaining, guiding, and reconciling. There are a variety of ways that caring is needed, received and offered. As Christians we are to care for one another both within the family unit, as well as in the community; care giving is as much a responsibility for the community as it is for the individual.

As a generation of baby boomers, we have grown up without the intergenerational connectedness that past generations have had. This then causes a severe shortage in availability of caregivers with a family unit. Even professional caregivers are in short supply.

How might you answer the following questions?

1. Rather than institutionalizing our elderly bring them back into the home, and supporting the care giving family?

2. How can the church train its leadership so that they are equipped to meet today

L

lilsweettart4you

Hello Folks !
I am glad to post something on this matter of Elderly Care !
I had the wonderful experience of working as a housekeeper in a Living Center back at home in Aiken, South Carolina. What I found out was, all ederly care needs is attention , and lots of hugs and knowing that you will be back there to see them. And be honest with them. Just to listen to them, or read a book, and explain what your reading about or in a day to day happenings. Some of them are bed redden and are not able to get out side to feel the sun on there faces. They wanna see a smile on your face, not a gloom face. They want to hear up lifting things in your life. My heart goes out to those I did get to know, those who passed, I truly cryed my heart out to them. They brought joy and happyiness and a ray of hope of knowing they were saved and ready to meet our awesome God and Jesus Christ. I will never ever forget those awesome folks.
I have moved to Tempe, Arizona, I can't wait to volunteer here in Tempe or in Scottsdale living centers. So Ederly care is very much important for todays citizens to get up and get out and volunteer.

Cynthia Vaughn

P

presbygal

Hi Cynthia,

I agree that volunteering is a great way to support our elderly. How do we encourage people to take an interest even within their own home?

Blessings to you!
Marge

L

lilsweettart4you

Hiya Presbygal !Ty for your agreement on volunteering. My Parents raise me to respect our elders and to help them . Our Ederly needs so much compassion and a lending ear to them, they wanna be heard, like anyone else does.If I had the money, I'd love to take care of the ederly. I'm thinking of going back to college to get my CNA certificate so that I can work in a living center.I also work as a custodian for a charter public school system in Az. I truly love my job, I guess cleaning is in my blood, I got it from my mother and grandmother. Nice to meet you Marge ! God Bless you ! Have a awesome weekened !

Cynthia Vaughn