How transparent should we expect any President to be?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Considering the President is one of the most envied people in the world. Jealousy, rivalry, greed, corruption and power surround the President. Is it realistic for one of such a highly visible office to think that their private life can be kept private? Considering international, national, state and party politics, as well as infighting and jealousy within each party. In this new day and age everything that a person of such visibility can nearly expect every mistake to be made public with a frightening quickness.

It is easy for people to criticize others for making mistakes speaking without due caution or acting foolishly, however; Who of us are beyond reproach under such extreme scrutiny? Who can be expected to stand up to the critics, the news media, and the opponents to such an extreme degree?

I don't believe that people who can't stand scrutiny, criticism, or suspicion should run for President. Like my Dad used to say, “if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen! “

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Is it realistic for one of such a highly visible office to think that their private life can be kept private?
Every public official has the right to keep his or her private life private. Including the President.

Transparency is a much touted virtue by those who themselves are dishonest but want to dig up dirt on others. I wonder how many of these so-called journalists would like to have their private lives made public. However American politics has sunk down to about the lowest possible level, where the only thing that matters is how much dirt can be dug up and published. Even if it is manufactured dirt (just like the Steele Dossier) and the Mueller Witch Hunt.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Every public official has the right to keep his or her private life private. Including the President.

Transparency is a much touted virtue by those who themselves are dishonest but want to dig up dirt on others. I wonder how many of these so-called journalists would like to have their private lives made public. However American politics has sunk down to about the lowest possible level, where the only thing that matters is how much dirt can be dug up and published. Even if it is manufactured dirt (just like the Steele Dossier) and the Mueller Witch Hunt.
What about taxes? Don't you believe the honor and responsibility of a national leader should be beyond reproach? If the accusation are false then perjury and slander charges should be perused. If adultery and being a disgrace to the uniform is a Court marshal offence according to the UCMJ for the rest of the military why not its commander in Chief?

The President is not a private citizen as long as he hold office of Commander in Chief of the US Military. Is any President above the laws they are supposed to protect and defend? Remember Nixon, he got off easy!

S

Susanna

When a person has chosen to run for office, and then get elected, well, he better understand that he’s now a public person that we, the American people, expect transparency from.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What about taxes? Don't you believe the honor and responsibility of a national leader should be beyond reproach?
Since there is a tax authority in place (the IRS) it is their job and their responsibility to deal with any tax issues. Since there was never an issue with Trump, making his tax records public is another attempt to attack the President in an underhanded way. There is no valid reason for this kind of nonsense.
If the accusation are false then perjury and slander charges should be perused.
When bogus issues are created and a person is smeared and slandered, it takes an awful lot of effort and expense to correct the damage. In any event, had the IRS brought up a valid issue when he was a private citizen (and that too, many years ago) that could have been something to dispute. But since Mr. Trump is actually donating his presidential salary to worthy recipients, the IRS should be awarding him a medal every year.
If adultery and being a disgrace to the uniform is a Court marshal offence according to the UCMJ for the rest of the military why not its commander in Chief?
This is another bogus issue created by the Left Liberals and it turned out to be a nothingburger. The Leftists in America are not ashamed to use any old excuse to attack Trump, and actually create dirt where none exists. You should investigage the bogus FISA warrants and the bogus Steele Dossier.
The President is not a private citizen as long as he hold office of Commander in Chief of the US Military. Is any President above the laws they are supposed to protect and defend?
No one is above the law (except Obama, and Bill and Hillary Clinton as we can clearly see). Who says that the President has broken any laws? Just because his enemies have been allowed to conduct witch hunts does not mean that he was guilty of wrong doing. The fundamental principle of the rule of law in America used to be that that a person was PRESUMED INNOCENT until proven guilty through hard evidence. Not hearsay, not bogus allegations, not false accusations, not flimsy excuses. That has all changed because the Republican politicians failed to rein in the Leftist Democrats who are out to destroy the Constitution and constitutional principles. Even the lawyer-client privilege was violated in the case of Trump.

If anything Donald Trump has been way too soft on his enemies. Firstly he failed to clean house and clear out all the Obama appointees. Secondly he failed to carefully and wisely select his top administrative officials, and kept firing and hiring. And thirdly he failed to appoint an independent commission to thoroughly investigate Obama, Clinton, and all the top officials in the DOJ, FBI, CIA, and State Department. These people should have been behind bars, and then the witch hunts would not have occurred.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Since there is a tax authority in place (the IRS) it is their job and their responsibility to deal with any tax issues. Since there was never an issue with Trump, making his tax records public is another attempt to attack the President in an underhanded way. There is no valid reason for this kind of nonsense.
I am surprised about the tax thing really. It's an ironclad agency. Not sure why people think there is something amiss going on...There is that "one saying"...

I do understand that it is possible that a lot of moral "grey area" could be proved that many of his dealings are not quite "kosher" when looking at his tax history by taking advantage of numerous loopholes and it could provide a solid bit of ammo. So I can at least understand the pressure, but the law is grey in a lot of ways so trying to fault him for that is shaky at best, as it is not against the law.

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer someone steer toward right and not take advantage of grey but that's a whole lot different than being mired in "black". Just to be borne in mind when making decisions about people...

I appreciate the IRS angle. I hadn't thought about this somehow so I appreciate it. I personally had no interest in his tax returns. Taxes are complicated and it would basically be some "expert" giving his or her opinion about them, with other people saying different things. We have enough to talk about that doesn't include this.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I am surprised about the tax thing really. It's an ironclad agency. Not sure why people think there is something amiss going on...There is that "one saying"...

I do understand that it is possible that a lot of moral "grey area" could be proved that many of his dealings are not quite "kosher" when looking at his tax history by taking advantage of numerous loopholes and it could provide a solid bit of ammo. So I can at least understand the pressure, but the law is grey in a lot of ways so trying to fault him for that is shaky at best, as it is not against the law.

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer someone steer toward right and not take advantage of grey but that's a whole lot different than being mired in "black". Just to be borne in mind when making decisions about people...

I appreciate the IRS angle. I hadn't thought about this somehow so I appreciate it. I personally had no interest in his tax returns. Taxes are complicated and it would basically be some "expert" giving his or her opinion about them, with other people saying different things. We have enough to talk about that doesn't include this.
A precedent was set long ago for the US President to divest themselves of all financial entanglements that may effect their judgement as leaders, as well as to disclose all tax information. We have come to expect it.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
A precedent was set long ago for the US President to divest themselves of all financial entanglements that may effect their judgement as leaders, as well as to disclose all tax information. We have come to expect it.
You continue to push your Left-Liberal agenda. Presidential candidates are NOT required to disclose tax information:

ARE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES LEGALLY REQUIRED TO RELEASE THEIR TAX RETURNS?

Candidates Are Not Legally Required to Release Tax Returns
No. There is no legal requirement of any kind that presidential candidates release tax returns from any year. Indeed, there is a strict, strong constitutional right to privacy for all tax returns. Thus, tax returns can be released by an individual taxpayer, but cannot be released by the IRS to the public. However, one Senator has proposed legislation requiring presidential candidates to release tax returns.

https://www.robertreeveslaw.com/blog/candidates-tax-returns/

Every taxpayer has the legal right to MINIMIZE AND AVOID taxes legally. It is up to the Internal Revenue Service -- NOT SELF-SERVING POLITICIANS -- to assess tax returns and see if everything is in order. And the Democrats have made a BOGUS DEMAND for Mr. Trump's tax returns for which they should be sued. He has a right to privacy as much as you do.

Secondly, Mr. Trump did divest himself of all his business dealings. But he went one step further, which NONE OF THE PREVIOUS PRESIDENTS EVER DID. He has been donating his presidential salary, for which neither you nor the evil Democrats have commended him.

Actually Trump has been tolerating a lot of Left-Liberal nonsense rather than dealing with it severely. Had he taken same drastic measures against all the conspirators, we would not be having this discussion. They would have all been locked up. During his campaigns, all his supporters were chanting "Lock her up!" "Lock her up!" But he failed to have Hillary locked up.

M

morefaithrequired

I agree with the transparency team. You sign up for such a public office, you had better be ready for all kinds of attacks. Its politics. You are fair game. Toughen up or dont take the job in the first place.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I agree with the transparency team. You sign up for such a public office, you had better be ready for all kinds of attacks. Its politics. You are fair game. Toughen up or dont take the job in the first place.
That's is not politics but it is DIRTY POLITICS -- the specialty of the Democrats.

E

EleventhHour

Do you think this way when Clinton was being investigated for impeachable offenses?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Do you think this way when Clinton was being investigated for impeachable offenses?
Clinton plainly abused his position and his power within the White House, and the evidence was there through Lewinsky. No comparison. And he got away scott free (since the Clintons are above the law).

WHAT MOST AMERICANS ARE NOT BEING TOLD IS THAT IMPEACHMENT IS ONLY FOR HIGH CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS.

Which means only very serious offences against the Constitution and the Republic (including treason). Not TRUMPED UP CHARGES which have no basis in fact. The charges against Clinton were not trumped up, but they certainly are against Trump. And Obama -- who committed treason by aiding and abetting the enemies of America -- was not even touched thanks to his color.

What most Americans are also not being told by the media is that there was A CONSPIRACY at the highest levels of government (starting with Obama) to either prevent Trump from taking office or to destroy him. Some of them were even plotting his assassination if you will carefully check the record. And this bogus impeachment farce is the latest attempt at an ILLEGAL COUP. If the DOJ and the FBI had been thorughly purged from their corruption and treason, all the conspirators would be behind bars today. Comey, McCabe, Rosenstein, Storzk, Page, etc. were all a part of a major conspiracy. And those agencies have not yet been purged.

E

EleventhHour

Clinton plainly abused his position and his power within the White House, and the evidence was there through Lewinsky.
He wouldn't be the only president who used his power and position in an abusive way.
I doubt there is a president who has not.

Sep 13, 2018

Obviously that was'nt the case for Pres. Clinton.LOL...

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Obviously that was'nt the case for Pres. Clinton.LOL...
And obviously you would rather believe the lying Democrats than search out the truth. Since you have given my posts a *thumbs down* three times in connection with the conspiracy against Trump and against America (not just Trump), it means that you don't give a hoot for the truth.

If anything, Christians should be looking for the truth about public affairs. And the truth is that even BEFORE Trump took office, the evil Democrats were talking about impeachment when there was nothing to impeach. AND THERE STILL ISN'T!

M

morefaithrequired

My brother has obsessive hatred of Trump. Thats all he wants to talk about. We all need to get a life sometimes. Politics can do that to you though. It just makes you obsess and demonise poltical enemies. Its sinister!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
35 Straight Months: Even Before Trump Took Office, Media Began Impeachment Obsession
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/n...ht-months-impeachment-obsession-predate-trump

Efforts to impeach Donald Trump (Wikipedia)
Various people and groups assert that U.S. president Donald Trump has engaged in impeachable activity both before and during his presidency, and talk of impeachment began before he took office. Formal efforts were initiated by Representatives Al Green and Brad Sherman, both Democrats, in 2017, the first year of his presidency. On September 24, 2019, Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi announced that six committees would undertake formal impeachment inquiries after reports about controversial interactions between Trump and the country of Ukraine.

So does any Christian fail to see that this was an evil Leftist CONSPIRACY to remove a legally elected President from office? All of the above was sedition and the plot for a COUP.

And the next question should be: Why was Obama not impeached for treason?

Feb 28, 2016
agreed, it's all been sinister, since the people begged God to give them a 'man' to rule over them and be their leader,
instead of Himself, our Creator...

Dec 12, 2013
We should not be surprised at the devious activities of the left toward a Republican president....after all they will kill babies in the womb, legalise every form of deviant sexual discourse and behavior, give more rights to a dog, legalise euthanizing the sick and elderly, oppose all truth, anything good, lie like dogs, take our right to speak of Christ and God openly away, use the courts and laws deceptively against us and the President and in the end ostracise us, imprison us and kill us at the bat of an eye.

Sep 13, 2018
My brother has obsessive hatred of Trump. Thats all he wants to talk about. We all need to get a life sometimes. Politics can do that to you though. It just makes you obsess and demonise poltical enemies. Its sinister!

No my brother. I have no hatred for anyone. I hate the sins, not the sinner...