How will i recognize him? <3

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
Check his bank account. If its really big, he's the one!

(just kidding)

J

Jullianna

:D BEST. ANSWER. EVER. thanks Julianna!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
i need no other answers :)
Awwww...thank you <3 God bless! :)

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
You won't know him by a list. You won't know him by whether you date or not. You will know him because he will stand out head and shoulders above the rest in your world. You will know him because you won't have to convince yourself that he's the right guy for you. You will know him because he will be strong in the ways you are not and you will be able to trust and lean on him. You will know him when he comes into your life and is far above the expectations you had for yourself, and you will marvel at how amazing God is and how He can be trusted to know and do what is best for you. And you will throw away your lists.
Hi Jullianna,

I've been thinking on this, and why do you think that this will be the case? With myself I think that I have too high expectations, will the person stand out head and shoulders above the rest or is this just an expectation that society puts on us?

As I'm sure you know marriage isn't perfect, but I wonder if, at least personally, I have idolised the person I want to marry in my head so that no one can match the standard I have in my head and no relationship would ever meet the hopes I have? As such if I am expecting someone to be miles ahead of anyone else I would dismiss a perfectly good and perfect match for myself?

As far as feelings go, I haven't felt anything for with the possible exception of one lovely girl I met recently, nothing came of it though and I was very unsure about it all.

I like what has been said about the life direction, going in the same place, it is still something I am thinking through I think, especially as my life seems to have so many open paths at the moment.

One of my friends has said (and I think that this has happened with him) that you don't always get all gooey eyed over each other immediately, but sometimes you just learn to enjoy the persons company. (This guy is married by the way) How does this sound to you? Is this a more reasonable expectation or...?

Thoughts? :)

Stuey

Sep 28, 2011
no. my man is EXACTLY the ONE my Heavenly Father has picked out for me.
i aint marrying just any old 'good match'
i don't want the permissible will of the Lord, but the good and perfect will of the Lord.

i'm waiting for HIS BEST.
Julianna's answer was perfect.

and exactly what i needed to hear.

i love my husband so much. He's everything God knew I needed.
i'm waiting for One Man.
well. and Yeshua. ok. so maybe i'm waiting for 2 men.

<3

W

Wycliffe_Erika

no. my man is EXACTLY the ONE my Heavenly Father has picked out for me.
i aint marrying just any old 'good match'
i don't want the permissible will of the Lord, but the good and perfect will of the Lord.

i'm waiting for HIS BEST.
Julianna's answer was perfect.

and exactly what i needed to hear.

i love my husband so much. He's everything God knew I needed.
i'm waiting for One Man.
well. and Yeshua. ok. so maybe i'm waiting for 2 men.

<3
Yes, Jullianna is partially right. But how are you going to recognize him?????
Are you going to to go walking "blind"?, your question was how you are going to recognize him, it's obvious that God has a man for you, but you need to have these priorities in mind (that he must have God first, he must be mature, spiritually mature, you must have the same vision) in order to actually recorgnize HIM.

Sep 28, 2011
God will show me.
He told me through two dreams and a vision that my ex bf was not the one for me. i have no reason to doubt his sovereignty over my life and my love story now.

He is faithful. and i was wrong to doubt him and i was wrong to fear he's give me a guy i didn't like to marry. that was childish and it came bc a 42 year old asked me to coffee last week.

God first is a given.
but everything that Jullianna said calmed my heart and reminded me that god does indeed have my back. it's fine.

i'm fine. God is good.
i need no other lovers.

J

Jullianna

Hi Jullianna,

I've been thinking on this, and why do you think that this will be the case? With myself I think that I have too high expectations, will the person stand out head and shoulders above the rest or is this just an expectation that society puts on us?

As I'm sure you know marriage isn't perfect, but I wonder if, at least personally, I have idolised the person I want to marry in my head so that no one can match the standard I have in my head and no relationship would ever meet the hopes I have? As such if I am expecting someone to be miles ahead of anyone else I would dismiss a perfectly good and perfect match for myself?

As far as feelings go, I haven't felt anything for with the possible exception of one lovely girl I met recently, nothing came of it though and I was very unsure about it all.

I like what has been said about the life direction, going in the same place, it is still something I am thinking through I think, especially as my life seems to have so many open paths at the moment.

One of my friends has said (and I think that this has happened with him) that you don't always get all gooey eyed over each other immediately, but sometimes you just learn to enjoy the persons company. (This guy is married by the way) How does this sound to you? Is this a more reasonable expectation or...?

Thoughts? :)

Stuey
Someone in this thread asked for people with personal experience to tell how they knew. This is how I knew. And he bested the image in my head. God knows what we need better than we do. The problem is that we all too often attempt to choose that person ourselves.

Reasonable? :) I don't want reasonable. I want exceptional. That's what God does best. :) He did it once. He can do it again..and again..

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jullianna

I do think lists serve a purpose, that purpose being signs of things we do NOT want in our lives, such as certain behaviors in others that we know with certainty would be damaging or extremely difficult for us to live with on a daily basis or cause us to not respect a person or trust them as we would need to.

I'm not talking about getting all gooey eyed. Relationships need to be entered into with eyes wide open. We need to take our time, pray, question, examine. But when someone comes along beside you and, hard as you look, you don't see those flaws, the warning bells do NOT go off and they even cause you to want to be a better person, you'll know.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
I do think lists serve a purpose, that purpose being signs of things we do NOT want in our lives, such as certain behaviors in others that we know with certainty would be damaging or extremely difficult for us to live with on a daily basis or cause us to not respect a person or trust them as we would need to.

I'm not talking about getting all gooey eyed. Relationships need to be entered into with eyes wide open. We need to take our time, pray, question, examine. But when someone comes along beside you and, hard as you look, you don't see those flaws, the warning bells do NOT go off and they even cause you to want to be a better person, you'll know.
I think I agree... lists of what we need can be useful, mind you, I think our instincts can be spot on providing we are using our head as well. Thanks for reminding me about the gooey eyes thing, I think I've went into two relationships like that, the first one ended poorly and the second was a disaster on my part, lately I have just been too cautious to be gooey eyed but now I think about it, that is a good thing. We just want what we don't have. :)

Hmm, I find it a bit difficult with the situation at the moment. For example I enjoy the young Lady's company heaps and we can talk about a lot of things. I can also imagine myself enjoying being married to her - yet - at the same time, I don't really feel like I want to marry her specifically. And when I consider being married it feels like more of a 'I can imagine marrying someone like you in like 5 years time." I feel like she meets my requirements, but doesn't really exceed them and I don't exactly feel excited or anything. This girl is an incredibly Godly girl and I have a huge respect for her, but yeah, the rest is confusing. :) What would you guys think on this situation? Feel free to ask more, or clarifying questions if you need.

How do I know if this is me going "thanks God for giving me something that I asked for and that meets everything I need, yet I want more." Being an ungrateful and spoiled brat so to speak. Things are good at the moment though, we are both comfortable with being friends with each other. =)

Also like a lot of this feels like just issues with contentment - aka being happy but not content - which is how I would describe my current situation. Like I feel like if I had lower expectations that I would be so happy with this kind of thing and so thankful and excited to God. mmmm

Last edited:
J

Jullianna

Sounds like your head is all in, but your heart is not. Balance is important. Your "list" is complete, but can/do you love this woman as Christ loves the Church? That's the scriptural test.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Sounds like your head is all in, but your heart is not. Balance is important. Your "list" is complete, but can/do you love this woman as Christ loves the Church? That's the scriptural test.
What do you mean? Like balance as in, into her with your heart and into her with my head?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure I am fully in with my head either, there are things I am concerned about, and I think one of them was one of the things on my list, which she might meet but barely. Hmm, it is difficult, she is such a lovely girl.

As for loving this woman as Christ loves the Church, I love her, but only as a friend and that is a really good point, it will be so much easier to love someone as Jesus loves us if I love her and if she is someone who is easy to love and who I want to with all my heart. It is so much easier to do nice things for people you care about and love.

I think that trying to force my heart to do anything is a stupid and horrible thing to do and just won't work out well. I guess all I can do is be friends with her and maybe sometime in the future God will change my heart. What do you think? Do you think this a bad idea? Or is it just immaturity in not being ready to love someone as I will need to in marriage? - Like, wanting more and not being willing to give? Or is that just marriage - the difficulty in it?

J

Jullianna

What do you mean? Like balance as in, into her with your heart and into her with my head?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure I am fully in with my head either, there are things I am concerned about, and I think one of them was one of the things on my list, which she might meet but barely. Hmm, it is difficult, she is such a lovely girl.

As for loving this woman as Christ loves the Church, I love her, but only as a friend and that is a really good point, it will be so much easier to love someone as Jesus loves us if I love her and if she is someone who is easy to love and who I want to with all my heart. It is so much easier to do nice things for people you care about and love.

I think that trying to force my heart to do anything is a stupid and horrible thing to do and just won't work out well. I guess all I can do is be friends with her and maybe sometime in the future God will change my heart. What do you think? Do you think this a bad idea? Or is it just immaturity in not being ready to love someone as I will need to in marriage? - Like, wanting more and not being willing to give? Or is that just marriage - the difficulty in it?
I mean that there are a lot of people who can meet all of the qualifications we may have on a list, but if we don't love them the way scripture tells us to, we won't be able to fulfill our obligations in that regard. It can't be forced. It's either there or it isn't.

BUT, if a man truly loves a woman as Christ loves the Church, he can very easily love her imperfections as well (the beautiful faults Liamson discussed once in this forum)...especially when he remembers he has some too. :) I say this because Christ loves the Church without expecting us to be perfect, doesn't He? ;)

T

Tobby17

You'll know him coz he may or may not have a concealed weapon.. :D :D

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Hmmmm, yes you are right Julliana, thank you for your advice. I'm sick of my stupid messed up heart. :) I want a new one.

J

Jullianna

Hmmmm, yes you are right Julliana, thank you for your advice. I'm sick of my stupid messed up heart. :) I want a new one.
A heart in search of love is not messed up, only seeking and vulnerable. Give it to God, Stuey. He can fill it up with amazing stuff. :)

J

Jullianna

I do need to correct something I posted though. Liamson said "beautiful flaws", not beautiful faults. :) Flaws sounds a lil better, huh? ;)