I Almost Paid For My Own Date.....

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shineyourlight

Senior Member
May 25, 2015
6,174
891
113
The moment you can impact someone’s life is probably single-handedly the most triumphant part of your life. Knowing that you can impact someone through the love of Jesus is exhilarating, even if it is in a small way.

The streets were buzzing with people on a Saturday morning. I was at the public market with my brother and his wife, Devon and Christiana, and one of our friends, Jenni. As we walked through the streets of downtown Boston site seeing and shopping at local stops, I hear children laughing, people shouting, and cars honking. I see couples holding hands, people walking briskly through the crowd trying to get to their next destination, taxi drivers picking up passengers on corners, and I see a few homeless people begging for money. It was an overall busy Saturday.

I walk by this homeless man who was sitting on the corner of a building, with a cup in his hand, begging for money. If I saw him anywhere else, I wouldn’t have thought he was homeless. He was dressed nicely, hair was trimmed short, and he carried himself with a confidence. This man, I never would have thought had no place to call home.
“Ma’am,” he calls out to me, reaching out his hand, “I’m getting sick of being homeless. Can you please help a fella out?” He looked at me with such urgency and intensity I wasn’t sure on how to deal with.

I smiled at him, nodded, dropped a couple of dollars in his cup, and continued on my way.

After a few steps, I heard the familiar voice say to me, “Katie. You have $20. You don’t need it. Buy him lunch and then give him the $20.”


“But, God,” I pleaded, “I’m here for vacation. This is my spending money.”


“So you’d rather spend your money on things you don’t need than give the money to someone who actually needs it.”


I stopped in my tracks and stood still on the sidewalk. The others walked on without me, deep in conversation with each other.


“Guys, wait up,” I called out, still standing in the same spot where I stopped.


Devon, Christiana, and Jenni turned around.


“Can you hold on for a second? I need to go back to that guy,” I asked, holding up a finger.


Devon looks at Christiana with a look of confusion, looks at me, shrugs and says, “Sure. We’ll go with you.”


“Great.” I turned around and ran up to the guy.


“Hey!”


The guy looks up startled.


“I didn’t catch your name. What was it?”


“It’s Bo.”


I smiled big at him and reached out my hand for him to shake, which he did. “Nice to meet you! I’d love to buy you lunch. Where would you like to go?”


He looks at me, shocked. “You came back just for me?” he asked, pointing at his chest, eyebrows raising and mouth dropping a bit.


“Absolutely. Why wouldn’t I? Where would you like to go?”


He looks at me and I saw tears welling up in his eyes. He clears his throat. “Anywhere is good for me as long as I get food.”


“Okay. How about Panera Bread?”


He got up, leaving his book bag at the spot he was sitting at.


“Hey, aren’t you going to grab your book bag?” Jenni asked.


He looks at her and shrugs. “No one will take it. I’m a veteran and no one would steal from a veteran. I need to save my spot anyways.”


As we walked into Panera, Bo told us his story about how he was quite successful, how he owned a condo, had a high paying job, and was even in the military. Now, he’s homeless. On the street for four months. He kept telling us how he never thought he’d be there, how he’s not like that. He was living in condemnation.


He is so young,
I thought. Probably between 30-35. Who would have thought that someone who was so successful could become homeless? My heart broke for him.

Give him the $20, I heard again.

“I can’t,” I prayed. “It’s my only cash that I have for today.” So, so, so selfish.

You don’t need it.

We head back to the place where he was sitting. The book bag that he had confidently said no one would take was now gone.


He looks at the place where his bag once was, his face broke. “Great,” he says loudly.

“My stuff was stolen.” Everything he had was gone in just a moment.


I look at him and I felt my throat clog up with emotion. I swallowed.


Give him the $20.


Jenni reaches in her purse, pulls out a $20. “Here,” she says. I look at her in disbelief.


I look at him, “Make that another $20. I don’t need it,” I said as I handed him the $20
that was conveniently sitting in my wallet.


Tears fill his eyes, his mouth gaping open a little. “You guys don’t need to do that just because my stuff was stolen.”


I smiled, “Of course we do. We care about you. Please take it. God wants to bless you.”


He looks at me and breaks out in a huge grin, tears still in his eyes. “I can’t refuse the money. I need it.”


He takes the money and puts it in his cup.


“Bo,” I continue. “We came back because we care about you, I know that might possibly sound strange to you. God loves you. I don’t know where you’re at with God, if you believe in Him or what, but I hope that one day you feel him. I hope that one day you encounter Him in a mighty way. He changes hearts and he changes lives. I was an atheist Bo, and he came to me in such the nick of time when I needed him the most. He cares for you so much.”


“I am frustrated with God,” he admits, and he puts his head down.


I put my hand on his shoulder and said, “Bo, it’s okay. I get mad at God at times, too. I can’t wait for what the future holds for you. Would you mind if we pray for you?”

After he said yes, I prayed for him, asking that God makes himself known to Bo.

Bo looks up afterwards, and smiles. “Can I have a hug?”


“Absolutely!” After we hugged, I told him it was an honor and such a pleasure to have met him.


We said our goodbyes, and as we walked away, he calls out to me, laughing,

“Now that I have money, can I take you out on a date?” Smiling, I looked back and waved. As I turned back around, I felt the tears at the back of my eyes. Bo is loved by so many. Would you take your time to pray for him?


When you impact someone’s life, it impacts you.
 
BruceWayne;bt16789 said:
That is an amazing story! I'm glad you went back, you never know the paths people have taken. I will say a prayer for him :)
Thanks! I'm glad I went back as well. This happened a few months ago, but I still think about Bo from time to time. I wish I was able to be in contact with him honestly.
 
Great story of selflessness and remembering every one is GOD's child and needs the help and reminders of how great GOD is. Thank you for your selfless, loving, generous act.
 
secularhermit;bt16792 said:
Wow!

I know now several ppl would love you more, here. :o
Haha, thanks, I suppose :p

It was by far one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had. I feel like he impacted me more than I did him.
 
I have heard of some who did the same... I wished she also read about your experience...

Her nich is something like "take my wheel chair" (on CC)

You both would cope with (guessing here)
 
I liked reading your experience here...As Jesus said, "whatever you do to the least of these you've done unto me" Feels good to give back to Jesus doesn't it :) especially when the person appreciates it...I believe that's what Jesus wants from us too...to appreciate everything he does for us as well.
 
Gozinia;bt16807 said:
I liked reading your experience here...As Jesus said, "whatever you do to the least of these you've done unto me" Feels good to give back to Jesus doesn't it :) especially when the person appreciates it...I believe that's what Jesus wants from us too...to appreciate everything he does for us as well.
It's very true. The funny thing is, we kept passing him. It wasn't until the last time when he actually spoke to me.

I cried tears for this man, even though I never saw him again.
 
That could be the lesson God was providing for him...no matter our own abilities or intelligence...everything can be gone in an instant...perhaps the man was being shown that God is the giver of all good things...but what's more...to thank God and appreciate everything he provides through our actions in how we handle our blessings...I believe by giving Glory to God in front of that man you helped shown him this :) I've had a similar experience or two and it's so powerful to share our blessings with another...but buying this man lunch as well? That was seriously going the extra mile making a great impact on his life forever. It may have been the very thing which turned him back to God.
 
You listened to The Voice of The Lord, and eventually obeyed with the Love of God. Excellent. Check out Revelation 3:20
 
Hey. I was supposed to have a similar experience about three years ago when I was touring Sydney. I met this beggar who, on the face of it, looked like he shouldn't have been there. But, there he was, kneeling on the sidewalk as people passed him by, holding a placard asking for help. I guess it was around lunch and he hadn't gotten much, so he flung the placard at the sidewalk in frustration and decided to sit down for a while. That was when I felt God urging me to talk to him.

Unfortunately, I disobeyed. I took my cup of hot chocolate, turned around and walked the other way. Like Jonah. I ran from where God wanted me to be. But guess what? His face still haunts me. I still wonder if talking to him might have made a difference in his life. I still wonder if he had received the help he was due to receive, at least through somebody else. I don't know. I guess I will not have the answers, until I reach the other shore. For now, I will gladly carry this feeling of regret with me; in the least, it would serve as a reminder to me if I fail to show love to this world. :)

This was a very touching article and it resonated with me. Thank you for sharing!
 
Roh_Chris;bt16975 said:
Hey. I was supposed to have a similar experience about three years ago when I was touring Sydney. I met this beggar who, on the face of it, looked like he shouldn't have been there. But, there he was, kneeling on the sidewalk as people passed him by, holding a placard asking for help. I guess it was around lunch and he hadn't gotten much, so he flung the placard at the sidewalk in frustration and decided to sit down for a while. That was when I felt God urging me to talk to him.

Unfortunately, I disobeyed. I took my cup of hot chocolate, turned around and walked the other way. Like Jonah. I ran from where God wanted me to be. But guess what? His face still haunts me. I still wonder if talking to him might have made a difference in his life. I still wonder if he had received the help he was due to receive, at least through somebody else. I don't know. I guess I will not have the answers, until I reach the other shore. For now, I will gladly carry this feeling of regret with me; in the least, it would serve as a reminder to me if I fail to show love to this world. :)

This was a very touching article and it resonated with me. Thank you for sharing!
Hey, Roh_Chris. I have been there as well. The thing is: Learning from it and making a difference now. I'm glad this story touched you. I still regret not getting any of his information, honestly.
 
Wow. This was such a good reminder to appreciate every single little thing we have. Thanks for this, Katie. That was such a blessing to that man, and I will be praying for him.
 
Not sure how I found this blog post, but that is a beautiful reminder of how to love your neighbor. :) My church has been talking about this exact concept the past few weeks. It's somewhat easy to think about showing compassion to someone, but actually doing it is really hard. There are lots of homeless people who live near the UT campus. The next time I see them I will actually do something for them. :)
 
Hi, shiney. Just read this, oct.28. I don't usually even think to look at blogs and things, the threads are enough to occupy more time than I should be on them already, but I'm so glad I read this one. Want to comment on it more fully, but can't right now, hopefully I can get back to you on it. Had a similar exp. in downtown philly when 'dapope' came to town. The city wanted to 'make an impression' and clear the homeless and 'undesirables' off the streets. But there were a lot of them still out there. I hope I can tell you some of my experiences from that day. All I can say now is, well, what I've always known..., you really are a beauty, shiney, and I mean that inside AND out. Gosh, if I could only find a way to knock about 25yrs off my life, lol. Where does the time go, and how did I get to be an old man all the sudden? I feel like I haven't even started to live my life yet. (Aw, shucks, who'm I kiddin,? I wouldn't stand a chance anyways). (On a side note, tho...I make a pretty good pizza, Real good, if I may say so myself. You may pick any toppings you want, and eat all of it by yourself, and I'll gladly make more.:))
Father in heaven, thank you for shineykatie, Lord. I pray you continue to bless her, she is such a blessing to so many others, I pray you hold her close and keep her protected and filled with your Holy Spirit. And Lord, we pray for her friend Bo from Boston. We don't know where he is now, but you do, Father, and so we lift him up to you in thanksgiving, knowing your loving hand will guide him. Bless Bo, bless shiney, we thank you, Lord, in Jesus' name, amen.
 
sydlit;bt17571 said:
Hi, shiney. Just read this, oct.28. I don't usually even think to look at blogs and things, the threads are enough to occupy more time than I should be on them already, but I'm so glad I read this one. Want to comment on it more fully, but can't right now, hopefully I can get back to you on it. Had a similar exp. in downtown philly when 'dapope' came to town. The city wanted to 'make an impression' and clear the homeless and 'undesirables' off the streets. But there were a lot of them still out there. I hope I can tell you some of my experiences from that day. All I can say now is, well, what I've always known..., you really are a beauty, shiney, and I mean that inside AND out. Gosh, if I could only find a way to knock about 25yrs off my life, lol. Where does the time go, and how did I get to be an old man all the sudden? I feel like I haven't even started to live my life yet. (Aw, shucks, who'm I kiddin,? I wouldn't stand a chance anyways). (On a side note, tho...I make a pretty good pizza, Real good, if I may say so myself. You may pick any toppings you want, and eat all of it by yourself, and I'll gladly make more.:))
Father in heaven, thank you for shineykatie, Lord. I pray you continue to bless her, she is such a blessing to so many others, I pray you hold her close and keep her protected and filled with your Holy Spirit. And Lord, we pray for her friend Bo from Boston. We don't know where he is now, but you do, Father, and so we lift him up to you in thanksgiving, knowing your loving hand will guide him. Bless Bo, bless shiney, we thank you, Lord, in Jesus' name, amen.
Thanks for praying, Sydlit! :D