I have been told that pastors are often exhausted after preaching, because there is some spiritual battle to get through on a Sunday morning, or whenever a message is presented. Well, I am tired after men's basketball.
Men's Basketball is intentionally for relating the gospel to all who walk through the gym doors. I pray for direction and God gives it, but it is never the same. And going from 30 guys to just 3 men (and that is including myself) can feel like defeat. But God is at work!
Tonight, I expected more than the two basketball players from last week, only to see half as many. That is right, only 1 guy showed up to play ball. So, you can imagine how my faith was tested as the night progressed and I saw no other guys show up to shoot.
It twisted my stomach's butterflies into knots. Even the knots had knots.
Of course... I am setting you up for a major praise.
I called my grandmother to ask for prayer, only to get no answer. I then called my mother, who said, "Well, maybe someone will show up." And it was at the end of that faithful thought when I saw a car pull in.
I did not want to pounce, but as the minutes went by, and after praying, I went to see who was parked outside. When I got to the window, an older man than I gave the "I'm-just-on-my-phone, don't-bother-me-signal," so I retreated. More time went by and more prayer. Finally, I was compelled to revisit the man on the phone.
Whistling in the spirit, I approached the mystery man's car. This time, he rolled down his window, though still on the phone. I said, "We have the heat on for men's basketball and so you might want to use the phone inside, where it is warmer." Instead of responding to the "it is warmer," he asked, "When do you guys have basketball? I did not know you had this here." With that interest meeting mine, you bet I led him to the gym.
I said, "There have been more men, but we are at a slow point in the year, for some reason. You are always welcome, although I never know how many will be here. We have had 30." To this he offered, "Well, I will definitely do that. I live down the road and know guys around this area. When are your service times?" Again, I was pleasantly stunned.
I gave him a brief tour, handed him a related handout, and then asked him to pray with me with the one other man who showed up. (I should mention, his conversation told me that he was warm to prayer; so I did NOT put him on the spot, completely).
And he did, as in, he led the prayer. Praise God.
On a night when I was praying for the harvest, God sent me a worker-- a servant-hearted man, whose skin is different than mine, which does not mean much in the eternal scheme. But it will allow for new opportunities to reach people with the love of Christ.
Pray for Jamel. He is special.
Now, back to the other guy. The only basketball player is actually one of the ones from the very beginning. He has missed many weeks, but started showing up-- just as everyone else started disappearing. Well, God used this.
You see, God has brought Devin into my life as an encouragement to me; but, God also has placed him on my heart to challenge him in his faith-walk. He has needed a ride, so that has allowed for conversation afterwards. But this week, when everyone else was evasive, Devin picked up where he left off.
[You see, last week, after 2 hours of shooting with myself and one other guy, Devin said, "Hey, do you guys have a Bible study that is not on Sunday." I told him that we do not have something in place at this time, but that myself and another guy could meet with him on Mondays in the future.]
This week, God filled another gap. The topic for the group that never showed was: Resolve to Read. I had some sheets to help introduce the guys to the Bible and a reading plan. Well, Devin and I spent more than five minutes on a week "Bible Point."
We nudged each other to read and discuss John 1 and other verses, for an hour!
Honestly, it was me who wanted to bail. Yes, Devin was hungrier for the Word.
(This does not mean that I was not enthusiastic or that I think myself full of the Word; this only highlights another's momentary desire for more of God in their life.) Thankfully, we both were fed.
In basketball language, another way to say "pass the ball" is "feed me the ball."
I am soooo grateful that God fed us something greater than a basketball game tonight.
"Has God showed up?" I asked. Devin nodded, still peering into the pages of the Bible. (Or... was it his phone
)
Anyway, I am tired after basketball. It is not because I play from beginning to end. It is not because I am out of shape (alone). I am tired because there is something that God is accomplishing, which the Adversary does not want to take place.
When you think about it, pray for Men's Basketball.
--IDEA
Men's Basketball is intentionally for relating the gospel to all who walk through the gym doors. I pray for direction and God gives it, but it is never the same. And going from 30 guys to just 3 men (and that is including myself) can feel like defeat. But God is at work!
Tonight, I expected more than the two basketball players from last week, only to see half as many. That is right, only 1 guy showed up to play ball. So, you can imagine how my faith was tested as the night progressed and I saw no other guys show up to shoot.
It twisted my stomach's butterflies into knots. Even the knots had knots.
Of course... I am setting you up for a major praise.
I called my grandmother to ask for prayer, only to get no answer. I then called my mother, who said, "Well, maybe someone will show up." And it was at the end of that faithful thought when I saw a car pull in.
I did not want to pounce, but as the minutes went by, and after praying, I went to see who was parked outside. When I got to the window, an older man than I gave the "I'm-just-on-my-phone, don't-bother-me-signal," so I retreated. More time went by and more prayer. Finally, I was compelled to revisit the man on the phone.
Whistling in the spirit, I approached the mystery man's car. This time, he rolled down his window, though still on the phone. I said, "We have the heat on for men's basketball and so you might want to use the phone inside, where it is warmer." Instead of responding to the "it is warmer," he asked, "When do you guys have basketball? I did not know you had this here." With that interest meeting mine, you bet I led him to the gym.
I said, "There have been more men, but we are at a slow point in the year, for some reason. You are always welcome, although I never know how many will be here. We have had 30." To this he offered, "Well, I will definitely do that. I live down the road and know guys around this area. When are your service times?" Again, I was pleasantly stunned.
I gave him a brief tour, handed him a related handout, and then asked him to pray with me with the one other man who showed up. (I should mention, his conversation told me that he was warm to prayer; so I did NOT put him on the spot, completely).
And he did, as in, he led the prayer. Praise God.
On a night when I was praying for the harvest, God sent me a worker-- a servant-hearted man, whose skin is different than mine, which does not mean much in the eternal scheme. But it will allow for new opportunities to reach people with the love of Christ.
Pray for Jamel. He is special.
Now, back to the other guy. The only basketball player is actually one of the ones from the very beginning. He has missed many weeks, but started showing up-- just as everyone else started disappearing. Well, God used this.
You see, God has brought Devin into my life as an encouragement to me; but, God also has placed him on my heart to challenge him in his faith-walk. He has needed a ride, so that has allowed for conversation afterwards. But this week, when everyone else was evasive, Devin picked up where he left off.
[You see, last week, after 2 hours of shooting with myself and one other guy, Devin said, "Hey, do you guys have a Bible study that is not on Sunday." I told him that we do not have something in place at this time, but that myself and another guy could meet with him on Mondays in the future.]
This week, God filled another gap. The topic for the group that never showed was: Resolve to Read. I had some sheets to help introduce the guys to the Bible and a reading plan. Well, Devin and I spent more than five minutes on a week "Bible Point."
We nudged each other to read and discuss John 1 and other verses, for an hour!
Honestly, it was me who wanted to bail. Yes, Devin was hungrier for the Word.
(This does not mean that I was not enthusiastic or that I think myself full of the Word; this only highlights another's momentary desire for more of God in their life.) Thankfully, we both were fed.
In basketball language, another way to say "pass the ball" is "feed me the ball."
I am soooo grateful that God fed us something greater than a basketball game tonight.
"Has God showed up?" I asked. Devin nodded, still peering into the pages of the Bible. (Or... was it his phone
Anyway, I am tired after basketball. It is not because I play from beginning to end. It is not because I am out of shape (alone). I am tired because there is something that God is accomplishing, which the Adversary does not want to take place.
When you think about it, pray for Men's Basketball.
--IDEA