I broke a promise

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 11, 2015
I broke a promise I made with God and now i just cant seem to forgive myself. I admit my relationship with God has been sorta cold for about a month or more now. Im still trying to pray daily and read his word. Also i'm still staying in church, but I broke a big promise with God saturday. I dont want to be too detailed but after I got saved I fooled around with my then boyfriend. I felt horrible and begged God for forgiveness. But then i let it happen again. A year has went by and I promised God i would never do anything like that again until marriage. Well Saturday i let it happen again. I feel like the biggest hypocrite in the world. Saved people shouldnt allow themselves to even be put in the situation to be tempted like that. please help!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Is there any firm plans for marriage down the road in this relationship?

M

MadParrotWoman

I broke a promise I made with God and now i just cant seem to forgive myself. I admit my relationship with God has been sorta cold for about a month or more now. Im still trying to pray daily and read his word. Also i'm still staying in church, but I broke a big promise with God saturday. I dont want to be too detailed but after I got saved I fooled around with my then boyfriend. I felt horrible and begged God for forgiveness. But then i let it happen again. A year has went by and I promised God i would never do anything like that again until marriage. Well Saturday i let it happen again. I feel like the biggest hypocrite in the world. Saved people shouldnt allow themselves to even be put in the situation to be tempted like that. please help!
1. It's not about whether you have forgiven yourself, it is whether God has forgiven you. Take it to The Lord for He WILL forgive you but you must confess to Him and request that forgiveness.

2. Do not put yourself in situations that could get out of hand - learn from previous mistakes.

3. God is not trying to spoil our fun, He isn't a "stick-in-the-mud". When He tells us not to do certain things it is for good reason. He simply wants to protect us from physical and emotional harm, heed His word and don't be coerced into doing something you know is wrong.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
One thing about promises, they often get broken. Especially promises to God. God doesn't do promises.. "God I promise I won't if you promise.."..

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
Own our mistake,ask forgiveness, tell your significant other how you feel and that it can't happen again. Then move on. Mistakes dont define us unless we don't move on. God forgives you, forgive yourself.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
It's okay... We all fail...
I made the exact same mistake you did about a year ago... I ran away from God, and slept around with a girl from my church for about 3-4 months, then stopped going to church for fear of seeing her...

I understand what you feel. I thought I was going to be a virgin until I was wed. Now I know thats not the case...
But I find it funny I make all these promises to God, like I can control my own future. I can't even know if I am going to be alive in 5 minutes... But I will tell God what I am going to do in 5 years... LOL
It's okay we have all been were you are in one time or another :)

Christ died for us, his grace is more than enough. Just try not to sin knowing it's covered... That's like spitting in his face...
Seek his heart above all else... :) No matter if you fall or stumble just keep going :)

D

DCrawshawJr

If I can give some extra advice on one's word, especially on one's word to God: It's OK to NOT promise anything to God. In fact, it's highly encouraged! (see Deuteronomy 23:22) I've also made promises to God (saying to God "I will do/not do" this or that... is a promise), thinking that will settle it, only to break my word. I have learned to keep my mouth shut, especially since we'll have to answer to God for all our idle talk, says Matthew 12:36.

The good news of course, is the mercy of God through Jesus Christ. In many places in Scripture, God is called "faithful". One such verse is Hebrews 10:23: "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." God cannot break His word, if He does, He is a liar and unworthy of our worship. Obviously, let us not abuse his mercy and faithfulness to His word. Either don't promise, or keep your promises.

Last edited: