I don't make sense when I talk.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 16, 2012
I have noticed that I'm constantly saying words incorrectly. Like my mouth won't work and the word comes out all jumbled or I just say things that don't make sense. In the workplace we have morning prayers, shares and devotions

I always try to think of the right words to speak when I sit in a group but I get confused. And often it's okay but at times it makes no sense I say some real dumb stuff. I tend to now just zip my mouth and shut up, remain quiet. Sometimes we might get asked randomly to pray aloud for group. My mind is racing with words how I should pray and sometimes it's okay but most times I mess up. Sometimes what i want to say i forget. Even when i tell share a story i sometimes i get stuck and forget what i was talking about. I realise my age. 50. Help.

W

wwjd_kilden

Hi
There is a name for that which I cannot remember. It could be that you just get stressed trying to get it right, or it could be a condition, and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Talk to your GP (doctor) about it, they will be able to give you better information about it.

As for prayers. I never understood why so many insist people pray out loud. Maybe offer to pray for them without speaking?
After all, they believe in a God who hears our requests before we speak them, do they not?

M

missy2014

i found after experiencing trauma through the Christchurch earthquakes I get my words not right particularly when im stressed
but you have to go easy on yourself forgive yourself maybe and realise your not the only one i know what you mean and it doesnt feel good when people notice and yeh like kilden said YOU DONT HAVE TO PRAY ALOUD if you dont want to and if you do that less itll take the pressure off you cause its pressure your putting on youself " I have to get my words right cause I have to pray aloud"

M

missy2014

we may be talking about different things but the advice is still helpful.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I can't talk right either. I have an entire language that is totally all mine.. lol

D

Depleted

I have noticed that I'm constantly saying words incorrectly. Like my mouth won't work and the word comes out all jumbled or I just say things that don't make sense. In the workplace we have morning prayers, shares and devotions

I always try to think of the right words to speak when I sit in a group but I get confused. And often it's okay but at times it makes no sense I say some real dumb stuff. I tend to now just zip my mouth and shut up, remain quiet. Sometimes we might get asked randomly to pray aloud for group. My mind is racing with words how I should pray and sometimes it's okay but most times I mess up. Sometimes what i want to say i forget. Even when i tell share a story i sometimes i get stuck and forget what i was talking about. I realise my age. 50. Help.
This sounds like it could be a stroke, mini strokes, aphasia, or probably many other health problems. Have you ever considered seeing a doctor?

I do have aphasia. Too late to fix it now, but at least I know I'm not nuts (that way, anyway.)

Dec 19, 2009

It's been a very long time since I've been asked to pray aloud among a group, but I can remember having difficulty thinking of anything to say.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Yes, as depleted said it could be small strokes or some form of decreased circulation happening in part of your brain. I would see a doctor soon and begin taking an aspirin once a day (it helps prevent clots).

J

joefizz

Well honestly I am 24,and if I'm asked to pray aloud,half the time I don't know what to say so this isn't necessarily an age thing,it's more of you can't figure what to say in the spur of a moment,which is not uncommon,I have done this lots of times in the past and every now and then I don't know what to say about stuff,just try to relax and let God take over,that way you don't stress so much!(also interesting choice...for a user name lol!)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I have noticed that I'm constantly saying words incorrectly. Like my mouth won't work and the word comes out all jumbled or I just say things that don't make sense. In the workplace we have morning prayers, shares and devotions...
You don't need to zip your mouth. There's no reason why you can't tell the others that you would prefer to prepare and read your thoughts, rather than just speak extemporaneously. Not everyone can think on their feet, but if you sit down and jot down what you want to share ahead of time, I'm sure everyone will be happy and you will not be embarrassed. Just as preachers have sermon notes, you can make some devotional notes.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Look into ADD/ ADHD. Your symptoms are common for those with it.

Feb 7, 2015
Look into ADD/ ADHD. Your symptoms are common for those with it.
But for God's sake, don't just assume you have something like that. I know dozens of people who can rattle off almost a whole alphabet of "their afflictions." And the truth is that, in most cases, they just lack the gumption to apply a little effort and discipline in their lives.

B

BeyondET

But for God's sake, don't just assume you have something like that. I know dozens of people who can rattle off almost a whole alphabet of "their afflictions." And the truth is that, in most cases, they just lack the gumption to apply a little effort and discipline in their lives.
Yes there's truth in what you say, looking back to Adam and Eve, Were they looking for other reasons other than themselves surely this had been of debated before through time.

B

BeyondET

As other posters have said get a check up from the doc, to makes sure every thing is firing on all eight cylinders, no stroke detected etc.

If all checks out then relax don't worry about it, this can be of a learning of patience with all party's involved. It may be helpful to just speak in short order even just a few words at a time, can hold great value to others and you as well.

surely everyone has had moments of the rush of thoughts that can flood our minds, you my friend may very well have many more than the next guy, nonetheless this doesn't make that unimportant or useless thinking, you may very well be heading to a awaking beyond anything you've ever experience before, age is not a factor in that discovery.

(Jesus wept) simple verse simple statement but what a profound statement it is.

Last edited:

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
I have noticed that I'm constantly saying words incorrectly. Like my mouth won't work and the word comes out all jumbled or I just say things that don't make sense. In the workplace we have morning prayers, shares and devotionsI always try to think of the right words to speak when I sit in a group but I get confused. And often it's okay but at times it makes no sense I say some real dumb stuff. I tend to now just zip my mouth and shut up, remain quiet. Sometimes we might get asked randomly to pray aloud for group. My mind is racing with words how I should pray and sometimes it's okay but most times I mess up. Sometimes what i want to say i forget. Even when i tell share a story i sometimes i get stuck and forget what i was talking about. I realise my age. 50. Help.
Hi NS,

When you wrote this did you have to edit and re- edit? Because it sounds just fine and doesn't describe what you're saying about yourself. Or is it only when you feel on the spot?

When I was younger as a new believer, I would be embarrassed to be called upon. When I would pray out-loud, my voice would quiver and sometimes I got all choked up with tears. My heart pounded, my stomach churned..........I felt the blood racing through my veins while my head spun.

But I was a very shy person also. And I would just blurt out whatever to get the uncomfortable situation over with. The only reason I share this is because there might not be anything wrong with you. It could simply be a natural process for your personality. What's normal?

It might also be that you've matured at a slower pace. The thing that changed me was that I wanted to change. And the Lord helped me along the way, but it took time and a willingness to allow myself to be foolish in front of others; humility. :)

I remember once when I prayed in front of a group of woman......my voice quivered so much and my eyes were fluttering.....I was a nervous wreck, but I made it through that prayer. I found later that I did better sitting down instead of standing in front of the group. Little by little I learned to be calm and peaceful.

When I focus on the Lord in prayer and not the people around me it changes my prayer. I'm talking to God and not them, so my focus isn't on them or on me, it's on God. I don't have to worry about others when I pray.

What about when you are at home by yourself and you pray? Do you stumble over words. When you are with just one person and you chat it up, do you have a problem forming your thoughts and words in a conversation?

Last edited:

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016

i do that a lot myself basically my brain is going faster then my mouth or my mouth is going faster then my brain depending on the day.. Chronic fatigue can cause this also maybe get your vitamin levels checked like b 12 magnesium etc... it could be simply your low on b 12 or something. if that checks out and your not suffering from sleep loss.. then maybe ask the doctor to run a mri on your brain to check for lessions.. praying it is nothing but maybe fatigue...
p.s. I suffer from anxiety and sometimes just that gets me messed up when talking lol..

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016

I always try to think of the right words to speak when I sit in a group but I get confused. And often it's okay but at times it makes no sense I say some real dumb stuff. I tend to now just zip my mouth and shut up, remain quiet. Sometimes we might get asked randomly to pray aloud for group. My mind is racing with words how I should pray and sometimes it's okay but most times I mess up. Sometimes what I want to say i forget. Even when i tell share a story i sometimes i get stuck and forget what i was talking about. I realise my age. 50. Help.
Moses also had trouble speaking. So do I. I do fine in text, but I'm not good at public prayer. I speak to God both formally and informally, at times even without words. But it just flows from me to Him, but not when I have to do it publicly. Not every Christian has every talent. God is interested in effort. He told Moses "Who made man's mouth, was it not I?" If you think of it that way, it's pretty brave to tell God what His creation can do and not do.

What might help you is a fill in the blank...

Address God- Make it known this prayer is to Him alone.

Praise- Give God at least one compliment.

Help- Let Him know why you need Him.

Others- Tell Him why others need Him.

Forgiveness- Ask Him to forgive you, and to help you be just as forgiving of others.

Thankful- Thank Him for at least one thing.

Christ's name- Concluding your prayer with "In Christ name" is not mandatory, but respectfully recognizes that the only way we or our prayers get to the Father is through the Son.

Amen- means let it be indeed! It means you've examined and agree that this prayer is in accordance with God's will to the best if your knowledge, and that you will do what you can on your part to make this prayer come about- even if all you can do is pray.

Think about what you will say in your next public prayer ahead of time.

Last edited:

Pattydear

Jul 21, 2017
I too have trouble sometimes remembering how old I am or phone, etc. When we pray, the bible says that the Lord knows what we need..before we even ask..just speak with your heart...we all get nervous and make mistakes...

Pattydear

Jul 21, 2017
Also I have fibromyalgia and have for many years...so I have trouble saying or remembering things sometimes...As others have advised get it check by Dr. And if nothing physical wrong...coukd be just nervousness.