I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1still_waters
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
1

1still_waters

Guest
I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Usually when referencing my use of social networks, or IM messengers, I'll say something like..

Yes I use "fill in the blank".

Sometimes I see people say things like....


I have "a Skype".
I have "a Twitter".

As if it's an object to possess.

When discussing your use of these things, how do you describe it?

Pardon my quirky perceptive questions.

Do you say, "I use" or "I have a"?
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I have Twitter, or I'm on Twitter
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

"I have" Facebook/Skype
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Usually I say things like...


I have a car.
I have a house.
I have a pair of shoes.

I've never said I have a Twitter..I have a Skype...I have a Yahoo.

Those who say things like they have a skype...a twitter...etc....Do you view yourself as actually owning the product?
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Sounds like a disease XD

I am afraid that you have the twitters, Mr Thomas. It doesn't look good. Honestly, with this type of disease, most patients may only survive up to 3 months. Get your affairs in order.
 
Re: I have "a twitbelong PERPETUALLY tter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I have several "social" accounts I use (though Iḿ aware I could be used and abused, there). These are not a possession, but a thing where I decided to write or say my things, acknowledging the site rules.

By the way, many things that are left on faKebook, belong PERPETUALLY to facebook (and here it is where I shrink). He! He!
 
Last edited:
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I don't think people say the 'a' in your examples, aside from people making fun of old people trying to be hip.
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Depends for me, but I mainly use "Yes, I'm on Facebook" or "Yes, I have Facebook". I don't think I say 'a' before it...but I don't really pay attention. :) I just had cards created that I could hand out that I call my 'social media' cards. :) I had them created because I meet so many people and I think it's easier to do this than to have them write something down. :)

Social Media Card II.jpg
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I don't have a or a ......
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Interesting thread! :D
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I say, I use Facebook, or I have a Facebook account.
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I say, I use Facebook, or I have a Facebook account.

That is grammatically correct.

proper-cml-hub.jpg
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I say "I have Facebook." I don't think it's implying that I actually own all of Facebook, it's just saying that I obtain an account there, that it is mine.

Just like I don't tell people, "I am making payments on a car", I say, "I have a car." Technically I do not own it (yet) but I am telling them that I have obtained a car and it is mine (even though not technically :rolleyes:).

Semantics, in my opinion.
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I say "I do the facebook thing" or "Yeah, I facebook".


 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I say I have Facebook or oh... by the way I do have a cake page on facebook... ;)
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

I always would say...
"I have a face book page" or "I do the face book thing" (even though I don't anymore)

"I have a twitter account" (even though I have used it like twice in the past 4 years & to be honest don't even remember my password)

"I have a blog" (even though I have deleted it twice after a years worth or postings on it over the course of the last 4 yrs)


Yeah...I'm kinda lame like that. :p
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Why thank you, is that my prize? If so, what is it?

It's the hub for the back of a bicycle.

I wanted to find something funny that said proper. That is apparently the name of a BMX bike manufacturer.
 
Re: I have "a twitter" "a skype": Do you use, or do you have "a"?

Oh well it's very nice and my favorite color too!