I have been troubled by a question about the death of Jesus, any insight?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 2, 2018
For a long time I have known that what Jesus did on the cross is the hope of humanity. Seeing as it is so important I want to understand it better but can't wrap my head around some aspects of what happened there. I was wondering, was Jesus condemned by God or man? If he was condemned by God the way it sits in my head sometimes is that God demands blood and I know he's not like that. If he was condemned to the hell he experienced by man then how can it be that killing the Son of God was our salvation? Any insights are appreciated.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
He was condemned by men. Ultimately forsaken by God, while on the cross because Jesus took on every sin you can imagine, and God cannot look upon sin. Jesus was fully human, yet fully divine at the same time. He was pure, and sinless.

Being pure and sinless, He was the perfect sacrifice to save all of mankind from their sins.

A

Ariel82

condemned by men. but Jesus laid down His life for us. it wasn't take, but freely given as a sacrifice to cleanse us of our sins.

C

claysmithr

Ultimately it was God's pleasure to Crush his only Son, so that we might have forgiveness in Him.

A

Ariel82

found this... will post more if God grants me time.

Following is a list of Scriptures that tell us what Jesus did on the cross

1. He laid his life down for us, John 10:11, "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep."
  2. Demonstrated the greatest act of love, John 15:13, "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."
  3. Reconciled to God, Rom. 5:10, "For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."
  4. Justified us, Rom. 5:18, "So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men."
  5. He died to sin, Rom. 6:8, "For the death that He died, He died to sin, once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God."
  6. Died for our sins, 1 Cor. 15:3, "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures."
  7. He became sin, 2 Cor. 5:21, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
  8. He finished the atonement, John 19:30, "When Jesus therefore had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head, and gave up His spirit."
  9. Reconciled Jew and Gentile, Eph. 2:16, "and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity."
  10. Humbled himself, Phil. 2:8, "And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."
  11. Reconciled all things, Col. 1:20, "and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven."
  12. Canceled out our sin debt, Col. 2:14, "having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us and which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross."
  13. Rendered the Devil Powerless, Heb. 2:14, "Since then the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil."
  14. Brought in the New Covenant, Heb. 9:15-16, "And for this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, in order that since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance. 16 For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it."
  15. He redeemed us, 1 Pet. 1:18-19, " knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ."
  16. Bore our sin, 1 Pet. 2:24, "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."
  17. Died for sins, 1 Pet. 3:18, "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit."
  18. Propitiated our sins, 1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."
  19. He fulfilled prophecy, Psalm 22:14-18, "14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaves to my jaws. And you lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs have surrounded me. A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18 They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots."
  20. He fulfilled prophecy, Isaiah 53:4-7, "Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried. Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed. 6 All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; But the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him. 7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth. Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, So He did not open His mouth."
  21. He fulfilled prophecy, Zech. 12:10, "“And I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him, like the bitter weeping over a first-born."
https://carm.org/what-did-jesus-do-on-the-cross

hellopeople

Jun 2, 2012
God's only begotten had to lay down his life for the world, so that through him they may live and have life eternal which is knowing Jesus Christ, true love, God revealed to him what must shortly come in Gethsemane and he obeyed and never said a word till his death on the cross, when the sins of the world where cast upon him he became sin and God turned his face from him which is why he said: Matthew 27:46 [FONT=Arimo, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arimo, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He went to hell and pardoned our sins, hell is eternal separation from God now grasp that going to hell and then forgiving them, that's Love perfected, that is Jesus Christ, that is our Lord and Savior.[/FONT]

Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for your replies guys they have been really helpful, I appreciate it