I heard voices that I assumed were mine and will ignore, but I don't know if that's God? Will he punish me if I assume incorrectly?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SmashBro92

Jul 28, 2020
So I have been hearing a voice telling me to do unsinful but then again not in accordance with the Bible when I pray to God. I hear a deep voice that sounds Godly, but I think I have been developing scrupulosity so I assume it's not God because he told me that tell them or you will not go to Heaven. The reason why I want to ignore it is that I feel it is harming me. I sometimes question if it's me or God giving me advice? And if he gives me advice, he tells me I can't be forgiven unless I told my family this particular thing going on with my life but the Bible says you're entitled to your own privacy, just be sure to let the priest and God know.

What I've done is ignored that voice and prayed to God telling him I don't believe it's his voice because it's pressuring me to do something very uncomfortable (although not sinful or lead to sin). I also think I will never be allowed to enter Heaven.

After confession, I was forgiven and I stopped hearing that voice. I still feel like I'm going to Hell...was that God?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Doesn't sound like God, but rather a mental disorder. But I'd not self diagnose as it's far too easy to diagnose yourself wrongly.
The mental illnesses that can cause this sort of problem are varied. I'd suggest getting a professional diagnosis before taking further steps, so that you know exactly what you're dealing with.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
@Subhumanoidal gave you excellent advice.
A few more Scriptures that maybe will help you regain your peace in the meantime...

God's Spirit never contradicts anything from the Bible. God does not cause confusion, or fruitless fear. There's no point in God telling someone as they still live "oh you're going to hell no hope for you" just to cause them to suffer. God simply doesn't do things like that, it's not in His character. He's doing everything with a goal so we may live and for things that are lovingkind and profitable, even when He is angry with us.

1 Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Ezek 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Hebr 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Characteristics of wisdom from the above:

Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

God is satisfied when we test if something is from Him. In fact, we are commanded to not believe every spirit, but always check until we are sure if it is from God. So God is not angry with you for being unsure. He made even a donkey speak, if it is really God, He has ways to assure you that it is Him and give you peace, so don't be afraid.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: (...)
Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, (to check) whether those things were so.

SmashBro92

Jul 28, 2020
Doesn't sound like God, but rather a mental disorder. But I'd not self diagnose as it's far too easy to diagnose yourself wrongly.
The mental illnesses that can cause this sort of problem are varied. I'd suggest getting a professional diagnosis before taking further steps, so that you know exactly what you're dealing with.
@Subhumanoidal gave you excellent advice.
A few more Scriptures that maybe will help you regain your peace in the meantime...

God's Spirit never contradicts anything from the Bible. God does not cause confusion, or fruitless fear. There's no point in God telling someone as they still live "oh you're going to hell no hope for you" just to cause them to suffer. God simply doesn't do things like that, it's not in His character. He's doing everything with a goal so we may live and for things that are lovingkind and profitable, even when He is angry with us.

1 Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Ezek 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Hebr 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Characteristics of wisdom from the above:

Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

God is satisfied when we test if something is from Him. In fact, we are commanded to not believe every spirit, but always check until we are sure if it is from God. So God is not angry with you for being unsure. He made even a donkey speak, if it is really God, He has ways to assure you that it is Him and give you peace, so don't be afraid.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: (...)
Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, (to check) whether those things were so.
Thanks, my brothers. I feel so much better from reading your posts. Take care :)

Jul 6, 2020
So I have been hearing a voice telling me to do unsinful but then again not in accordance with the Bible when I pray to God. I hear a deep voice that sounds Godly, but I think I have been developing scrupulosity so I assume it's not God because he told me that tell them or you will not go to Heaven. The reason why I want to ignore it is that I feel it is harming me. I sometimes question if it's me or God giving me advice? And if he gives me advice, he tells me I can't be forgiven unless I told my family this particular thing going on with my life but the Bible says you're entitled to your own privacy, just be sure to let the priest and God know.

What I've done is ignored that voice and prayed to God telling him I don't believe it's his voice because it's pressuring me to do something very uncomfortable (although not sinful or lead to sin). I also think I will never be allowed to enter Heaven.

After confession, I was forgiven and I stopped hearing that voice. I still feel like I'm going to Hell...was that God?
if its God and you close your spiritual ears to it you will become spiritually def.
We are instructed by scripture to test the the spirits and so see if they are from God or not.
The truth is Jesus says my sheep hear my voice and follow me.

How you test something is you go and find out.
If a voice wakes you up in the middle of the night and says go to this place and you think it may be God you pray and you go and you find out. If it is God you will see it become something real and good will result from it and you can better recognize his Voice the next time. If it is not God it will either come to nothing or to something sinful. I do not say negative or difficult because that is often what a godly outcome looks like at first.

Jul 6, 2020
Telling someone you will not go to heaven is serious, unless it is a conditional message like if you do not repent and turn to Jesus as your saviour you will not go to heaven, I would doubt it was from God.

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
if its God and you close your spiritual ears to it you will become spiritually def.

iF THIS WAS THE CASE IT WOULD CERTAINLY NOT HAPPEN ALL AT ONCE, SO DO NOT BE AFRAID, IT WOULD HAPPEN OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. GOD UNDERSTANDS OUR WEAKNESS.

Jul 6, 2020
it is the case and you are right it does not happen all at once.
It happens bit by bit.
Thanks for pointing that out
But the reverse is also true, when we listen and obey or at least test the spirits our spiritual hearing gets better

SmashBro92

Jul 28, 2020
Telling someone you will not go to heaven is serious, unless it is a conditional message like if you do not repent and turn to Jesus as your saviour you will not go to heaven, I would doubt it was from God.
I feel like I would know when God is speaking to me, if I can verify it's him, I would open the door for him. But when I heard him saying: "You have to tell someone in your family (this) or you won't come to Heaven". I researched about it, and the Bible tells us God says it's okay to keep secrets, as long as they're not harmful AND if sinful, you confess to your priest.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I feel like I would know when God is speaking to me, if I can verify it's him, I would open the door for him. But when I heard him saying: "You have to tell someone in your family (this) or you won't come to Heaven". I researched about it, and the Bible tells us God says it's okay to keep secrets, as long as they're not harmful AND if sinful, you confess to your priest.
I'm not sure about this quite frankly. If the statement had only been "you have to tell someone in your family (this)" I'd be far more inclined to believe it has value.

There are sometimes sins we keep in the closet and when we are children our parents have to "catch us" at it...OR we can just confess and ask for their help with something. Somewhat similar with the Lord, except it's more of a revealing than a "catching" if that makes sense.

Consider someone that it becomes known that they'd be living in adultery for years as a pastor or have a serious addiction that eventually "outed them". Do I think they had many opportunities to confess and get help from within the body as partners in warfare? Yes I do.

It could be that you need a personal support group to actually gain freedom in whatever sin it is (if it is something like that) and just telling a priest who has little to no actual personal interaction with you isn't enough. Problems don't just magically disappear. The Lord can sometimes just deliver you but other times you have to use the tools you have been given. This could be an opportunity to exercise discernment.

People can confess a sin to a priest for years and it be to no effect. You actually have to put on the armour of God and join with people together for some things.

Disobedience is pretty serious, however, I am NOT trying to encourage you to follow strange voices (the voice of a stranger), merely to test the spirits as SoulWeaver said. I think the Lord certainly understands our own limitations. Is this the only time this has happened?

Feeling like you're damned isn't anything new to me. It's a pressure tactic and I think that the enemy uses this to taunt/manipulate believers. Of course, following the will of the Lord can be uncomfortable also...they are just different. Discernment is key :)

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
@SmashBro92

If you have sinned against a particular family member, then it might make sense to tell them so they can forgive you and you can forgive yourself and move on from shame, especially if they are also Christian. Maybe you lied to your family member in the past, or whatever it was. The Scripture does say to "confess our sins one to another". Some questions to ask yourself and that might help you discern whether this is of God:

- Is this difficult for me to do, and I am a little afraid, yet I know it is totally the right thing to do?
- Would telling my family cause more harm than good? God is not a breaker of families. Would telling irreparably damage my family?
- Is this something that a family member has the right to know as it concerns them, and I would want to know in their place and be angry if they hid it from me? Treat others as you wish to be treated.
- Would it help me heal and move on from that sin if I told, so I don't have to worry or feel shame about it anymore?
- Are your family believers in Jesus? Unless it's something you've sinned against them, if they are not believers it may or may not beneficial to tell them, depending on individual case.
- Am I still stumbling in the same sin, and would telling my family give me support and gumption so I can stop?

These are all good questions to ask yourself. The condition does seem odd since it's not (seemingly) about Jesus, because one cannot enter Heaven unless they become born again, that's what Jesus said. The person who is born again learns what is the voice of Jesus (it may take a bit of time) and obeys His voice. Again, don't be afraid, just keep pressing into God and seek His will. God will make things crystal clear for you and you will know what is the good thing to do, it's going to shine like the sun, just be patient and believe.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Hearing voices in the way you describe, is not demons, not God, but instead, "intrusive voices." They often repeat themselves, and do not have your best interests at heart, even though it comes from within

I would also urge you to seek medical attention. There are meds that can stop these voices, without interfering with cognitive function. Make sure you are not just diagnosed with depression or anxiety. You will need something stronger than that.

Praying for you to get help!

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"NO"........:cautious:

L

lenna

I see on your profile that you state you are Catholic.

Being a certain denomination does not save you, but I can tell you that you are not hearing from God. Salvation is not a matter of what we do, but what the Lord Jesus Christ has already done for us.

We are saved by believing that Christ died in our place, God accepted His perfect sacrifice and we are now able to come before the Father because Jesus has made that way for us by becoming a sacrifice for our sins. There is no other way to be saved, no denomination that can save you and this is a decision you must make for yourself

No it was not God or the Holy Spirit.

God does not pressure us or force us or threaten us.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I'm not surprised at all. I just wonder what it is that you have to tell your family.

Jul 6, 2020
M
If they love you just tell them your struggles,
That you think it might be God but you are not sure but you feel like you have a responsibility to tell them and let them decide how to take it.

AndyMaleh

Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hearing voices??? This may be an early onset of Schizophrenia (<-- please click on the link to learn more). Go get checked please for the benefit of everyone.

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
I seriously doubt it was God, he would be putting this request over your salvation, and i do not believe he would ever do that.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

I’m glad after confession you stopped hearing that voice.

I actually think it was the Lord leading you to deal with something that hindered your relationship with Him.

By confessing and seeking forgiveness, you cleared it. Great job!

God loves you, you can ALWAYS approach Him and ask for forgiveness.

Helping others is not a sin but, if ALL I’m doing is helping others and not spending time alone with God in a balanced way then, I’m putting others before God.

God needs to be FIRST in our lives, everything else will fall into place.

God bless, be filled with His Word and His Holy Spirit and grow in love for God, amen. :love:(y)