I So Love You, Krissy/Jake... Er, I Mean, Paula/Fred...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi Everybody!

MusicalMe's thread made me think of something: how many of you out there have been dating someone or in a relationship and was called the name of person's's ex? Or, have you made that mistake yourself? (Calling someone by the name of one of your ex's.) And how did you react to it? (What did you do or say?)

I know some of these threads might seem silly, but I always try to think of real-life situations... and am wondering how other Christians have dealt with them from the viewpoint of their faith.

To my knowledge, I have never called someone by an ex's name (I don't have that many to name, Praise God!)

But I was dating someone once who very distinctly called me "Linda" (the name of his kids' mother) and caught himself right afterwords... he didn't even apologize, just said something like, "I can't believe I called you that..." (Um, thanks for stating the obvious...) I think I had just fed the kids lunch at my house and was washing dishes or something, so I didn't take too much offense to it.

But if it would have been constant... then there would have been some problems (well, there were plenty of other problems, but that's another story.)

People also refer to me as "---------'s (my dad's name) kid" quite often, thinking nothing of it... and I want to tell them, "Um, I have my own name... I don't need a title or description." For some reason, people also call me Amy (even bosses have done this)--I guess I just "look" like an "Amy" to them? It's kind of strange. (Though one did say it's because my last name has an "A" sound in it.)

I also have a (white) friend with two (adopted Korean) sisters... I look NOTHING like either of his sisters... but people always call me by their names and assume I'm one of them anyway.

*sigh* Oh, to have my own identity! :)

What about you?

grace

Sep 8, 2006
This is sort of a bit different than you are talking about (maybe)....but sort of the same.

People that I have met through this site, and I talk to in other places....(facebook, MSN, or on the phone etc)....some of them still address me as Grace. lol

And for those of you that did not know, no, Grace is not my real name. (although I wish it was lol)

One person insists on calling me Grace....they said it suits me better than my given name. *shrugs*

And along the lines of your thread....I did have a former b/f call me by an ex's name once. He did profusely appologize though. I was not upset or offended....lol...it was an honset mistake. :)

S

SamIam

I was dating someone that i really liked once... and this person said.. I might call you by someone elses name sometimes.... LOL i was like uuuummmmmm BUH BYE!

M

MusicalMe

People also refer to me as "---------'s (my dad's name) kid" quite often, thinking nothing of it... and I want to tell them, "Um, I have my own name... I don't need a title or description." For some reason, people also call me Amy (even bosses have done this)--I guess I just "look" like an "Amy" to them? It's kind of strange. (Though one did say it's because my last name has an "A" sound in it.)
Twin, you're not going to believe this, but I'm frequently called "Amy" because I apparently "look like an Amy"!! And it probably also helps that "Anne" and "Amy" are both short A names....

M

MusicalMe

I've been wrong named before... his relationship with his ex had been long and full of teenage drama and angst and I had known both of them at the time. By the time he and I dated, I'd completely lost touch with her. But one night he addressed me as "Jen" and then proceeded to freak out because he was sure he had completely ruined his relationship with me. Which, come to think of it, should have been a good time for me to say goodbye and avoid the drama that came later...

M

MusicalMe

Oh, and once I forgot my boyfriend's name. I was with my friend A and my boyfriend J and ran into someone I graduated from high school with. I said, "This is my friend, A, and my boyfriend..... um....." He wasn't amused. It really was an honest mistake though, my mind had just completely blanked out.

Which is worse, your significant other calling you the wrong name or just forgetting your name?

Jan 12, 2009
I have forgotten my gf's name a few times....lol...oh well.....She wasn't impressed...Actually I have been going on like a week now and for the life of me I can not remember my roommates name....:( Kind of sucks because she is attractive I just can't think of anything to say because I don't remember what her name is......

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Twin, you're not going to believe this, but I'm frequently called "Amy" because I apparently "look like an Amy"!! And it probably also helps that "Anne" and "Amy" are both short A names....

Musical... I'm sure you and I are two halves of the same zygote in some kind of parallel universe... (We can tell people we're twins and when they look confused, we can tell them we're "mirror image twins"--how many people do you suppose would ask us to stand next to a mirror so that they can see??? ;))

I was working in my old church's kid's program last year... and there was this adorable little boy named Adam who was about 7 years old. He was so cute--he would say things like, "Miss Kim, you could be a fashion model--I love your hair." (Wow, I just need a guy a LITTLE closer to my age to think that!)

His parents had some things going on for a while and I didn't seem him for a few weeks, and when he came back, he walked right up to me but apparently couldn't remember my name.

So, smooth as can be, he stood next to me and with a grand sweeping of his arm, he acted as if he were introducing me to someone very important (or as an introduction on a game show), and said, "And HEEERRREEE WE HAVE, THE LOOOVVVVEEELLLYY...." .... motioning toward me to finish the sentence, which I did... "Kim." He nodded his head at an imaginary audience as if to say, "Yeah, you people should have known that already!!"

I couldn't stop laughing. I geuss this is a danger of serving at church--falling victim to the lines of 7-year-old wanna-be players! :)

Try it Chop, it might work for you! :) Ha.