[FONT=Trebuchet, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Verse: Ecclesiastes 4:12
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (NIV). --Ecclesiastes 4:12 [/FONT]
Reflection:
Last week, a fight started during basketball. It was not too physical, but it was too much for this guy. I mean, by the power of God, I think I did pretty good in breaking it up and turning it into a learning opportunity. Still, my heart was racing, as the spiritual battle was the real activity that God my blood rushing. "I need someone else," I shared to my supervisor.
This week was totally different, except, praise the Lord, God continued using this donkey.Seriously though, the men were respectful, cracked jokes, and were more sensitive to the gospel. No doubt, however, it was better because I had help. The help, my superiors, came in and shared a pleasant invitation to keep using the facility as well as one to the upcoming outreach event-- and then reinforced the rules. (Hint: It IS October.) By the end of the night, 33 men had come to play ball.
People met: Polo, JT, Kendall, ryan, Bishop, Marcus, Ramido, Jose, J'leslie, "Day," Khalil, Rolando, Nick, Sae, Barry, Josh, Stephen, Tony, Torre, Keonte, Thomas, JV, Jay, Quentin, Mike, Francisco, Jahael, Terry, Jalen, Vante, Jese, Kindle, Luis
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, there was a kid who wanted to make a phone call. I asked why? He said, "My stomach is hurting." I suggested, "Try water first, then try rest, then, if it is still hurting," contact your program leader and she will help. "But," I continued, "before you go, can I pray with you?" And with that, I was amazed to see how a kid accepted prayer. I mean, after I said amen, he kept praying!
Later on, I finished a lesson a bit early; but, instead of letting the kids out, we related to different questions, taking turns. The helper, more suited to lead than I, did a great job with the kids. She used her love for drama to get them laughing, as they shared about their plans for the weekend. This is when I realized perhaps the only lessons they will recall from that day is: 1) God cares 2) So does my teacher
If this so, then we finished just in time.
------------------------------
Closing Notes:
I am grateful for how God shows up; whether on the court, in a van, or in the class room.
--Idea
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (NIV). --Ecclesiastes 4:12 [/FONT]
Reflection:
Last week, a fight started during basketball. It was not too physical, but it was too much for this guy. I mean, by the power of God, I think I did pretty good in breaking it up and turning it into a learning opportunity. Still, my heart was racing, as the spiritual battle was the real activity that God my blood rushing. "I need someone else," I shared to my supervisor.
This week was totally different, except, praise the Lord, God continued using this donkey.Seriously though, the men were respectful, cracked jokes, and were more sensitive to the gospel. No doubt, however, it was better because I had help. The help, my superiors, came in and shared a pleasant invitation to keep using the facility as well as one to the upcoming outreach event-- and then reinforced the rules. (Hint: It IS October.) By the end of the night, 33 men had come to play ball.
People met: Polo, JT, Kendall, ryan, Bishop, Marcus, Ramido, Jose, J'leslie, "Day," Khalil, Rolando, Nick, Sae, Barry, Josh, Stephen, Tony, Torre, Keonte, Thomas, JV, Jay, Quentin, Mike, Francisco, Jahael, Terry, Jalen, Vante, Jese, Kindle, Luis
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, there was a kid who wanted to make a phone call. I asked why? He said, "My stomach is hurting." I suggested, "Try water first, then try rest, then, if it is still hurting," contact your program leader and she will help. "But," I continued, "before you go, can I pray with you?" And with that, I was amazed to see how a kid accepted prayer. I mean, after I said amen, he kept praying!
Later on, I finished a lesson a bit early; but, instead of letting the kids out, we related to different questions, taking turns. The helper, more suited to lead than I, did a great job with the kids. She used her love for drama to get them laughing, as they shared about their plans for the weekend. This is when I realized perhaps the only lessons they will recall from that day is: 1) God cares 2) So does my teacher
If this so, then we finished just in time.
------------------------------
Closing Notes:
I am grateful for how God shows up; whether on the court, in a van, or in the class room.
--Idea