The church started decorating for Christmas last Monday. It was fun, though frustrating. We did not get much help
But it allowed for more intimacy with different helpers. We played (music), prayed, and prepared together-- and laughed. Still, it was sad-- yet rather cool-- to see the pastor show up, after having rescued someone 6 hours away! It was a broken-down vehicle that called for his attention. (Please pray for said pastor, as it was his son's vehicle, and the cost for towing and fixing is burdensome.)
Tuesday men's basketball was unique. We had 9 guys, up from 6 last week. I was talking with one of the guys at gym entrance, when, out of the black of night, a young couple approached. I asked, " Soo, what brings you here this evening? How may help you?" They said, "We are interested in possibly coming to this church." I said, "There is men's basketball going on, but I can give you a brief tour. Would you like that?" Politely and without hesitation, they agreed.
Heather and Nathan were/are a Godsend. They brimmed with gratefulness, offered help, and did not ask for money. (My experience limited is that many people come off of the streets with an agenda to be "helped." This did not seem to be the case. They wanted God.) "So, may I ask, why now?" The young lady replied, "I have not been to church in a long time and I wanted to come back." Soon after the tour and transparency, I asked the couple if they would stay for a "Bible point" with the guys.
Again, there was only willing agreement.
The Bible point was on Hebrews 5, looking at how December is dark and how lives can similarly experience darkness, but remembering that Jesus Christ is our unfailing hope, even before we realize our need. Then I closed with a short prayer and let them all know about the upcoming Christmas special. (Note to self: Next time, especially if it is the same guys, ask for prayer requests)
Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday... Nathan and Heather made a good impact. Tuesday, after the men's "Bible point," the couple was about to leave, when the pastor showed up for a second night of decorating. I urged them to stay, and they did. They helped hang, fluff, and other stuff
On Wednesday night, they showed up for the Wednesday meal and assisted with the 3rd day of decorating. As for Sunday morning, I was stunned to see that they returned-- with their friend, Jonathan.
On Tuesday I asked the couple, "What drew you here, on a cold and rainy evening?"
Heather said, "We saw the lights on."
Prayer: Lord, thank you for Jesus, who is my "light and salvation." Thank you for how, despite the darkness, you shine with compelling glory. Now, I ask that you keep drawing people from the Darkness that threatens. And fill more with brighter Joy.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
--IDEA
Tuesday men's basketball was unique. We had 9 guys, up from 6 last week. I was talking with one of the guys at gym entrance, when, out of the black of night, a young couple approached. I asked, " Soo, what brings you here this evening? How may help you?" They said, "We are interested in possibly coming to this church." I said, "There is men's basketball going on, but I can give you a brief tour. Would you like that?" Politely and without hesitation, they agreed.
Heather and Nathan were/are a Godsend. They brimmed with gratefulness, offered help, and did not ask for money. (My experience limited is that many people come off of the streets with an agenda to be "helped." This did not seem to be the case. They wanted God.) "So, may I ask, why now?" The young lady replied, "I have not been to church in a long time and I wanted to come back." Soon after the tour and transparency, I asked the couple if they would stay for a "Bible point" with the guys.
Again, there was only willing agreement.
The Bible point was on Hebrews 5, looking at how December is dark and how lives can similarly experience darkness, but remembering that Jesus Christ is our unfailing hope, even before we realize our need. Then I closed with a short prayer and let them all know about the upcoming Christmas special. (Note to self: Next time, especially if it is the same guys, ask for prayer requests)
Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday... Nathan and Heather made a good impact. Tuesday, after the men's "Bible point," the couple was about to leave, when the pastor showed up for a second night of decorating. I urged them to stay, and they did. They helped hang, fluff, and other stuff
On Tuesday I asked the couple, "What drew you here, on a cold and rainy evening?"
Heather said, "We saw the lights on."
Prayer: Lord, thank you for Jesus, who is my "light and salvation." Thank you for how, despite the darkness, you shine with compelling glory. Now, I ask that you keep drawing people from the Darkness that threatens. And fill more with brighter Joy.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
--IDEA