Idea(s) Astray: Roll Again

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

IDEAtor

Senior Member
Aug 15, 2012
827
19
18
You watch, this Sunday, pastors and leaders all around the world will work in something like, "Who made a New Year's resolution?" And then many will quip, "Who already broke their resolution?" I know myself well enough, that I will not get far in the new year, before I somehow miss meeting a personal goal. Regardless of my feelings, there is a need to see improved consistency in the following areas:

1) Consistency
2) Diet Journal
3) Exercise Journal
4) Offline Reading
5) Intentionally for Others
6) Sharpen Skills
7) Help roomy find a woman (= Keep praying for him and her and God's will)
8) Develop small groups at church
9) Help someone record his or her story
10) Learn a language

Consistency, this is by far the hardest area for me to maintain. I am not a robot, I am not an A-list personality who looks like he has it all together. Rather, I am one who is learning to commit, recall, and follow through. Take exercise for instance.

I did sit-ups the other day, which reminded me why I don't do them :) .
After only 30 in a couple of minutes, I was in pain. I appreciate that I could do any sit-ups at all; but that was a good indicator that 2015 will hold new challenges... hard challenges.

Diet journal: This calls for brutal honesty with myself. I live in a culture that is A) Proud of what they eat, or B) Proud of what they don't. To be my best, I need to practice eating healthier and knowing when/how to abstain. Today, my first step to follow in achieving a more practical diet... "When in doubt, start with water."

My "Offline Reading" challenge is intended to read more books. I have been reading The Blessed Life by Robert Morris, but I also need to get back to reading a tangible Bible and stay familiar with the pages. I don't knock the online blessing of having Scripture already translated and resources at arm's-length. In fact, I just found http://www.gracechurchva.org/files/the_blessed_life_workbook.pdf, a guide to coincide with my reading.

I want to 2015 to reflect my Intentionally for Others. I can do more, should be more, for those around me. I am praying about what small things I can do to be practical help and encouragement. Of course, it is about His Grace, not my efforts. Still, the Lord calls us to love our neighbors and enemies (meaning everyone). Today, a practical step is to listen to the heart, as well as the words, of another.

I do not look to prolong my life for self-indulgence; rather, I want to Sharpen Skills so I can be a better presence for God in whatever place he has me. I am content with who I am, by His Grace, but I know He is still working on me. Therefore, one area in which I can improve today is grammar. I mean, if I am going to learn to better communicate, I need to intentionally improve in my writing.

I need to keep in prayer for my roomy in his search for a wife.
He and I shared our thoughts on this matter, and he is definitely more inclined to actually search for her. That said, Lord, I thank you for a friend who is closer than a brother. I thank you for my "brother," who is looking for a woman with whom he can share his life and ministry. You know his heart and the heart of that woman. May you continue to grow them in Christ, as you draw them to one another. I ask this, in Jesus name, amen.

Small Groups seems like a HUGE task, especially for me; but, God is control. I know that He is at work already, drawing men and women and families to Himself. I do not know my roll, other than to be available to others as I reside in the Spirit. Today, I will work toward this by sending a private message to some of the individuals in mind.

In order to help someone write his or her story, I need to be prepared for the questions that may be asked. Today, I will write out a Purpose Statement and answers to some inevitable questions. I want to write my grandmother's story.
She is a hero of mine, because of how she exhibits Christ's character (or as I imagine it).

Learn another language. The United States is more diverse than ever.
If I am going to be proficient in communication, then I need to learn the languages represented. Sure, love overwhelms language barriers. But it is so cool that God understands us. Likewise, then, I want to learn more languages. (beginning with English, ha ha) :) Today, I will spend time reading the John 1 in another language. As I see words I don't know, I will write them down and look them up.


Prayer:
God, I praise you for Who You Are.
I know only a fraction of Your Great Love.
And I share that even less. This will always be the case.
But I look forward to walking with You in 2015, seeing hearts transformed and lives changed. Be glorified, oh God, in the change that occurs. Amen.




--IDEA