If a Christian Commits Suicide: Is Suicide an Unpardonable Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fire7
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Of COURSE someone can be converted back to the right path in this mortal life.

How many times do people give up and then decide a little while later 'actually, no I won't give up' and make a better go of things? All the time! And Good for them!

But if we were to have tasted the gift of heaven and the power of the future world (ie. The renewed earth) and still sinned, we'd not be able to reverse that, in otherwords, when we go to the new earth all immortal and shiny and pure, it's for keeps.
 
When we become a christian we become a temple for God. Any one who destroy the temple of God will be destroyed. Their is no salvation willfully taking your own life. Also by committing suicide you reject the Holy Spirit and the eternal life he has given you. God cannot "partner" with sin. He hates sin. Every dying in their sin goes where sin goes: hell. The good news no matter how bad you feel, you only have to say: "Jesus help!" And He WILL remove what ever is driving you (typically a whispering demon). For many it sounds too hard. They want a wattered down gospel - not like Jesus said: "...if your hand lead you to sin, cut it of!" or "if your eye is leading you to sin, rip it out!" - ...in other words: We have no excuse, and suicide is saying: "I cannot take it anymore, I will end my pain now!" = Rejecting God the Holy Spirit in you, not even asking his advice, or cry out "Help!" but taking YOUR life in YOUR OWN hands = God is not Lord in my life, and therefore if I want to kill my self I (can you see the self centerness !?) and IF I WANT TO DO IT - I WANT TO DO IT. ...This is very sad, cause God is not any longer Lord of your life, and you are dying in your sins with out him, by your own actions rejecting him!
 
Nobody will commit suicide for fun... Situations leads them to take such a decision. Now can we blame God for putting them in such situation?
 
OK, I know that this has been one of those arguments of the ages. But all of my life I have been taught, matter of factly, that suicide is an automatic first class ticket to hell.

This false teaching is based on the idea that a dead person cannot ask forgiveness for the sin of murder.
Jesus said Himself that there is a chance for a change of heart in the resurrection, but it is hidden in a parable that you don't know is a parable.
I won't ruin your chance to find it yourself. If I do you won't believe it, and I would be stealing from you.
 
To Sanashankar;
You can not blame God for any sinfull act you are doing - including suicide. God is not putting you in a sinfull situation that tempt you to end your life and commit suicide. Se the book of James ..."when you are tempted to sin, it is your OWN Desires..." and the fact that YOU as a human created in the image of God - WANT TO end you PAIN - doing it MY WAY (the core of sin) and I WANT TO END MY LIFE, CAUSE I FEEL SO BAD, AND GOD DOES NOT LOVE ME/CAN HELP ME (that's a Lie, but you believe and act on it when you COMMIT SUICIDE) ...God does not WANT any on to perish (John 3:16) - BUT when we willfully REJECT him and take LORDSHIP over our life - that we have given to God - we reject our salvation and our Lord and Saviour.
Suicide out of selfpity is saying NO to God and YES to sin and satan = choosing evil ending in stead of enduring and call on the name of the Lord. It is not for fun that it says: "any one WHO will call upon the name of the Lord, will be saved!"
Finally doing the opisite of Gods Words/promise is NOT calling upon the name of the Lord is bringing you under Gods wrath and curse.
HOWEVER it is different when a person has gone crazy and do it (I believe, but have no scripture covering their salvation).
 
So, my best friend who was bullied to death asked to die and go to hell for not knowing of the Christian religion?
 
John 10:27-29

27*My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28*And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29*My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

If no man can pluck out what is in the Father's hand why then believe any man can pluck themselves out?

[h=3]1 Corinthians Chapter 6[/h][SUP]19[/SUP] What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
[SUP]20[/SUP] For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

God gave us a life to live for a purpose. Just as many babies are aborted by the leading of Satanic lies, the same
can be said for suicide.

Any thing I say is simply my own thoughts and not scriptural. I think of people who do have mental illness
and do not know better. Or of those with brain tumors and have no control over their thinking.

However if a person is of sound mind and knows it is a sin, I believe they will face eternal judgement.
How many of us have thought at times, 'we would be better off dead.' but because we know it is a sin
and where we will go for all eternity, a burning hell, it keeps us holding on to God all the more. May
lives be saved. God help that one who thinks life is not worth living. Amen ~



 
So, my best friend who was bullied to death asked to die and go to hell for not knowing of the Christian religion?

Your friend was bullied to death ? In what manner did he or she died ? Did they kill
her or him ? Or did the friend feel life was not worth living because someone told them
they were no good, etc. ? Are you sure they did not know the Christian Religion ?
I am so sorry you lost a friend to such a horrible way by bullying. Please if you can
do not focus on where your friend is now , so much only God knows.
May I suggest you use this time as an opportunity to find a way to help those who
are bullied ? Please don't beat yourself up over this answer you need. I know
if we know God as our Father,He will answer you in some manner. He can speak
through scripture
or when you least expect it. On the other hand, sometimes
there will always be an unknown until we meet our Lord in Heaven. Again I am
sorry for your loss. God be with you and give you peace you seek. ~
 
[h=2]If a Christian Commits Suicide: Is Suicide an Unpardonable Sin? [/h]

Not unpardonable. It's just demanding the wages for sin before the wages would normally come.
Almost everyone considers it to some degree of severity or another. Everyone who beats it moves one notch closer to being all they can be.
If a person is capable of being subjected to the test, it's only fair for God to allow them the chance to win.
Why then, if God allows a special test, would God not also pardon a failure? And what unimaginable honor awaits the victor?

Don't over contemplate the state of the dead, it's "touching a corpse". The worry over it is the uncleanliness, and it continues for seven days, that is, until you stop worrying.
After that, a washing is in order.

I was taught as a child that suicider's "went to hell" and as a child, I even preached it to my suicidal grandpa when I caught him attempting the act. I'm sure his internal response was "son, I'm already in hell", and I'm sure he was. I had no idea what I was talking about at that young age, but - he didn't try it again after that either, he continued to suffer silently in his hell as a respectful and humble good example to many other people, so...

Help people pass their test if you can.
It's one of the most heart wrenching things to be involved in, trying to figure out what to say to a suicidal person.
Been there several times. Some won, some didn't.
It's a horrible thing, the way mankind kills each other before they kill each other.
:(
 
If a Christian commits suicide...

You open your eyes,
and there's God staring at you,
tapping on his watch,
with a look on his face that seems to say,
"You took an early flight, and you are in SO much stinking trouble."
 
*my .02 cents*

I'm not going to say much about this matter because I've seen many subjective post in this thread but I will say this. A key fundamental of the Gospel is not that in following Him everything will go right, but no matter what situation we are facing, Christ is enough. If we believe Christ is who he say he is, we must know that he is bigger than any situation and why would he lead you into a situation that he never planned for you to get out of. But I think it comes down to what we are taught. I'm leaving this thread now....
 
In the old testimony sveral jewish leaders commited suicide.. The Bible documents six cases of suicide:2 1. Abimelech son of Gideon (Jud. 9:54)
2. Samson (Jud. 16:25–31)
3. Saul (I Sam. 31:3–4; I Chr. 10:3–4)
4. Saul's squire (I Sam. 31:5; I Chr. 10:5)
5. Ahithophel (II Sam. 17:23)
6. Zimri (I Kg. 16:18–19)

The Siege of Masada ended up in mass suicide.

Was it right or wrong - i dont remember any say on that.

The question you ask emerges in the New Testimony, with Judas Iscariot... Did Jesus forgive Juda? Was it his forgivenes that he could not take?

Now, I never got an answer to it.. But let's just think logicaly...

There are several types of suicide, and not all of them are ego related. Some people take their lives because they are terminaly ill. Some, as Jews in Masada, do it for greater good... Christians in romans arena good as well comited suicide in the name of Faith. In other religions, souch as Islam, call for Jihad often means call for suicide.. It's a big topic, and it requiers priests,
psychiatrists, historians, sociologyst, behavioralist and probably even criminalists to explain suicide.

Now, Jesus sometimes strucks me as a 21. century man. He's inteligent, non violent, preeches forgivenes even to the darkest enemy.. I dont even doubt he forgave Juda for selling him out. After all, somebody had to do it. God Jeasus knew what was coming to him, and cryed to his father the same night: “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not as I will, but as you will,”[FONT=georgia, times New Roman] - AND THERE YOU HAVE IT! Before Peter sold him out three times, before Juda returned the gold, Jesus showed us how to act when we hit the wall... Obay your God. The life you live has been given to you and you must endure!
Peter was forgiven, he carried on.. Juda was forgiven, but he still didnt obay his Lord.
And if this does not seem to be clear enough... That preacher of yours, he saw heven you say????? YES, he just SAW it, but he did not enter it! Cause, if kiling urself ment you go straight to Haven, who would want to live on Earth? Each one of us has a pourpose. And all those little homeworks God gave us sum up to become A DEVINE PLAN... It's Gods ingeenering, but if his little bolts kleng on him like on magnet- who would keep this Universe, this Earth together? That's why, my little black bolt, just keep it together. And dont kill urself, no matter what - says the Lord our JEEESUUSSS!!! I love him
[/FONT]
 
It is not hopeless for a Christian, who has committed suicide. God, who reads the heart and mind of us all, knows the inner most feelings of what we as Christians and humans in general are dealing with. Jehovah is cognizant of what motivates us to say and do things. He, God is even aware of those who fit this description of the Bible verse at Proverbs 14:13 which says: " EVEN IN LAUGHTER THE HEART MAY BE IN PAIN; AND GRIEF IS WHAT REJOICING ENDS UP IN". That let's us know that it can be difficult sometimes to see or discern when others, our loved one, or a Christian is silently, quietly suffering inside their heart and mind.

The Bible verse at Ecclesiastes 7:7 is soooo true when it says: "FOR MERE OPPRESION WILL MAKE A WISE ONE OR PERSON ACT CRAZY....."There are many, many variables and chronic adverse situations that can take a toll on one's sense of well being, peace of mind, and physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.....as a result chronic or clinical depression and it's variables may set in and take root in a person's life. Once this happens negative emotions and actions may surface that will cause irrational behavior. Deep down inside the one battling sever or chronic depression or other types of psychosis, because of a chemical imbalance or an internal physical issue or because of external factors that they feel are out of their control, would love for the problems that they are dealing with to go away.....but they see no "light" at the end of the tunnel or they feel within their troubled heart and mind that their life is a hopeless situation, or they may feel that no one understands or will understand what they are going through or dealing with and so AS A RESULT, the sad tragic event of suicide takes place.

Fortunately, God is the ultimate authority, "say" and "judge" as to who will be forgiven for the sad act of committing suicide.
 
Must be a trick question.....because a real Christian has faith in God and the HS keeps that faith strong enough to persevere. The one that commits suicide is not Christian to begin with and is also condemned before the act for not believing in the first place plain and simple.
 
No its not the unpardonable sin. I know , what dreams may come, paint it that way, but that is just a movie. And not Biblical. : /
 
I have been working to rid myself of these things a Christian should never walk in
Pride
Defeat
pessimism
Anxiety
I have struggled with these, to the point of doubting my own salvation, The Holy Spirit is doing a work in your life - then these things are going
 
What do U think about EMOTIONAL suicide? Which is worst that factual...

Emotional suicide may be the first step that leads to literal suicide. When a person thinks about killing themselves most of the time and has constant negative thoughts of hopelessness and helplessness, that can be likened to an emotional shutdown, and may eventually lead to literal suicide.... All the positive emotions like joy, love, happiness, peace of mind, and the like are destroyed by one isolating one's self on an emotional, mental, and spiritual level. Some or all those positive emotional characteristics are absent in that person's life. Then follows literal isolation. The fellow Christian who is going through such emotional trauma needs a lot of encouragement and loving concern to help them to hold on to hope and to reality. The Bible and just being there for them will really help a lot.
 
As a Christian we are not to commit suicide we are to trust GOD to get us through any situation we find our self in, now the thing we must also understand is that ones mind must be truly on GOD many who commit suicide tend to have some mental illness. The only unpardonable sin is blaspheming the HOLY SPIRIT. It is very hard to live on earth and not feel like I can't take it anymore, I believe all have felt like this but some really see no way out and take things into their own hands we all can give our own opinions on the situation but only GOD knows what the person is going through and where their eternal resting place will be. What is important is that we as Christians care enough about others that we are there for those who are contemplating suicide when you come across one you know is very depressed, feels hopeless lend an ear don't beat them down because they have these feelings allow them to express it get it out never say don't speak like that allow them the chance to get it out and then pray for them ask GOD to give them a new breath of fresh air and the the strength they need to carry on pray that the enemy does not have his way and to send angels to encamp around the person and if for some reason they follow through ask GOD to forgive them....and trust GOD knows the heart of man and HIS job is to see HIS children live with HIm.

Blessings!!!!!!!