F
Fire7
Guest
OK, I know that this has been one of those arguments of the ages. But all of my life I have been taught, matter of factly, that suicide is an automatic first class ticket to hell. I still am trying to find out where the scripture verse is that this doctrine is based on??? I have yet to hear a preacher quote a passage that points to suicide being an unpardonable sin.
I was surprised when I heard Curt Karr, a famous black gospel singer and worship leader, give his testimony on TBN about his unsuccessful suicide attempt. He made a comment that caught me off guard. "...I would have gone to Heaven...". This was especially surprising coming from a black preacher, being that black people were especially brought up in denominations (COGIC, Pentecostal, Holiness...) that strongly enforced the hellfire-and-brimestone message (me being black myself), and suicide being one of those things that our culture was especially taught was a NO-NO (there is even an inside joke within the black community that "only white people do that"...not meant to offend anyone, because we know that's not true.). He was the first preacher I heard say that he would have gone to Heaven after his suicide. So, obviosly, everyone does not agree that suicide will send you to hell.
I even heard a story a while ago of a preacher who's mother was also a preacher who shot herself in the head. Even prophetess Juanita Bynum, a couple of years ago, admitted that she was about to kill herself after her very public divorce. So, now I'm wondering about this issue of suicide. If it is an unpardonable sin, why are so many Christians doing it or at least contemplating it? And where did the doctrine of suicide come from?
I was surprised when I heard Curt Karr, a famous black gospel singer and worship leader, give his testimony on TBN about his unsuccessful suicide attempt. He made a comment that caught me off guard. "...I would have gone to Heaven...". This was especially surprising coming from a black preacher, being that black people were especially brought up in denominations (COGIC, Pentecostal, Holiness...) that strongly enforced the hellfire-and-brimestone message (me being black myself), and suicide being one of those things that our culture was especially taught was a NO-NO (there is even an inside joke within the black community that "only white people do that"...not meant to offend anyone, because we know that's not true.). He was the first preacher I heard say that he would have gone to Heaven after his suicide. So, obviosly, everyone does not agree that suicide will send you to hell.
I even heard a story a while ago of a preacher who's mother was also a preacher who shot herself in the head. Even prophetess Juanita Bynum, a couple of years ago, admitted that she was about to kill herself after her very public divorce. So, now I'm wondering about this issue of suicide. If it is an unpardonable sin, why are so many Christians doing it or at least contemplating it? And where did the doctrine of suicide come from?