If a christian commits suicide, would they go to hell?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

Senior Member
May 24, 2014
11,887
8,709
113
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary issue. So goes the saying. Depression and other mental health issues are real. They are caused by neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain. Sometimes this is situational and other times it is something on-going.

I went through a long period of severe depression when Rheumatoid Arthritis disabled me with pain. I took all the medications, but the only thing that helped was controlling the RA. I was certainly suicidal many times in that period, and it was the grace of God that somehow foiled my thoughts and kept me from actually trying to kill myself. I am naturally a positive person, and I did come out of that depression totally, and I have been mostly good for many years now. But I do remember what it felt like to be hurting, and to feel like there was no hope for my physical condition.

I believe God understands our hearts. If our minds or bodies do not work properly, God knows our hearts are still for him. I think we need to leave judgment up to God and try and show compassion for those who are suffering with depression.

The Bible even talks about depression, in some of the newer versions.

"Why am I so depressed?
Why this turmoil within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will still praise Him,
my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:5 HCSB

Hope is to be found in Jesus Christ. If there is anyone in this forum needing help for suicidal thoughts, do not hesitate to PM me and we can talk about the situation and ways to find help, as well as praying about it.

This post is sooooo beautiful! Thank you! Compassion is often spoken about but rarely seen. We are to pray with the down trodden and afflicted rather than coldly judge them.
 
My first question regarding "If a Christian commits suicide, would they go to Hell" is what is "Hell"?

Hell is a doctrine without any substance in Scripture ... it is an Old English word meaning "To Hill" ... like when you heap dirt over Potatoes ... thus to "hell over Potatoes.

The ancient Hebrews and thus the early disciples/apostles knew that when one died they simply "fell asleep" ... no hell, no limbo, no pergatory ... simply sleep waiting for the resurrection of the dead.

Read what King David said about death.

The question we should all be asking is this ... if God could save everyone (John 3:16) would He?

http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.net/teachings/books/if-god-could-save-everyone


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Matureguy777 my friend I think you should read the Bible a bit more and do some research.
Jesus talked more about Hell, Hades, and a place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth more than he talked about Heaven.
In he parable of Lazarus and the rich man Jesus talks about Hell being a place of separation and pain where there was a great chasm, where no one can pass across either from or to. The Place Jesus used to describe Hell or Hades was the valley of Hinnom (or Greek, Gehenna) south west of the Old city of Jerusalem.
It is a place where people in the Old testament times would sacrifice their children to the god Molech.
In new testament times it was used as a rubbish dump that was constantly burning. It was a place that the unclean, the prostitutes, murderers and the down cast lived.
It was described as a place of evil. Therefore Hell is a place of complete evil separated from God for ever.
Here is a link that may be helpful.
Topical Bible: Hinnom
 
Last edited by a moderator: