If homosexuality is a sin, then why didn't Jesus say anything about it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
yet, ALL sexual sin is unacceptable

it represents the opposite of what God created it for

the NT tells us that marriage is a picture of Christ and the church (people not buildings)

marriage is a covenant relationship and so is our relationship with Christ

so, anything outside of that is thumbing it's nose at what God created

you may have missed the point that ALL sin is unacceptable

frankly, I find that gossip destroys lives perhaps even easier than sexual sin

people should flee from that also instead of pulling up a chair and sitting down to chew on another believer

frankly, I think that is the devil's table

nonetheless, I am not going to spout that off as doctrine because it isn't...although it is described also as sin

we cannot get away from FLEE sexual immorality while being told to stand against the devil in other cases

that prob says an awful lot about human sinful nature

ps...if you look up sodomy it will include having sex with animals as well. perversion, but that is sin having expression
Yes, the Bible is very clear about fornication and sexual sins. It simply states that any sex outside of a marriage between a man and a woman is a serious sin.

So there are many levels of sin, God will punish every unrepentant sinner according to the sins they committed. Those who committed small sins will get a small punishment and those who who went down to the depths of depravity and committed very serious, will be severely punished.

Just as hell has many levels of punishment, heaven also has many levels of reward. The parable of the talents describes how some will receive great rewards and others will receive small rewards. I used to believe that everyone is equal in heaven but the Bible teaches us that everyone will receive a different reward according to what they did for God in this life.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
S...,
G-d is forgiving and merciful. However, should you have left this earth during one of your periods of sinfulness...you would have been lost. I know some who left us in that state.....not a good thing.

There is not such animal as OSAS.

Also, we must acknowledge that we are not .....saved......until death, judgement and G-d says we have eternal salvation. Until then we are repented, baptized and living a righteous life. To conclude otherwise is to usurp G-d's authority to apply judgement.
The Bible teaches us that God doesn't lose any of His elect, no matter what happens their eternal security cannot be lost.

You seem to have forgotten that God appoints the time of death for everyone, so you're wrong about people being lost if they die in sin.

The bible is very clear that salvation is of God, from start to finish it's all His work. Nobody would be saved if salvation was left up to mankind. So the Bible doesn't agree with your view.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
Whether God considers any sin "worse" than any other is not well-supported in Scripture. There is only one punishment (death) and only one adequate response (Christ's death). Instead of treating (and thinking of) people differently according to your opinion of their sin, treat them according to God's solution for it. :)
I absolutely love all homosexuals and every other sinner as well. I have been commanded to love my enemies, and I know that I'm not to judge anyone because that's Gods job. To love a homosexual means that you have their best interest at heart, so you must share the Gospel with them and warn them of the coming punishment if they don't repent and cease practicing homosexuality.

We must warn everyone that God will punish all unrepentant sinners. We must judge everyone by their fruits, I believe the word "judge" in that sense means to evaluate how a person is living their life. If they have given themselves over to serve sin, it is our job as believers to lovingly warn them of the danger they are in.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
S...
What you are depicting is when The Holy Spirit leaves a person.
Not quite, I was saying that if God doesn't draw a person to Himself that that person will most certainly end up in hell.

Every person who was ever born, apart from Christ is born carnal. If God doesn't give the person the gift of the Holy Spirit, they will remain carnal and die without receiving the Holy Spirit and go into a lost eternity.

No person will ever choose to give their lives to God, unless God causes the person to believe and receive the faith that will cause them to follow Christ and receive the Holy Spirit.

Nobody has ever chosen God in the history of humanity, unless God causes them to believe.

Lynnnnn

Aug 13, 2018
Jesus did not say anything about homosexuality. However He speak clearly about sexuality in general. Concerning marriage and divorce in Matthew 19:3-6 3 Some Pharisees came to Jesus testing Him and asking,“Is it lawfulfor a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?”4 And He answered and said , “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE.5 and said,FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE,AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH? 6 S o they are no longer two, but one flesh.What therefore God has joined together, let no man separated.

The plan and design of God is husband and wife. Not gay to man..

God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah bedestrothe outcry is so great and their sin so blatant. Genesis 19:1-11.

7seasrekeyed

Yes, the Bible is very clear about fornication and sexual sins. It simply states that any sex outside of a marriage between a man and a woman is a serious sin.

So there are many levels of sin, God will punish every unrepentant sinner according to the sins they committed. Those who committed small sins will get a small punishment and those who who went down to the depths of depravity and committed very serious, will be severely punished.

Just as hell has many levels of punishment, heaven also has many levels of reward. The parable of the talents describes how some will receive great rewards and others will receive small rewards. I used to believe that everyone is equal in heaven but the Bible teaches us that everyone will receive a different reward according to what they did for God in this life.
how many sins out side of Christ does a person need to enact? actually just refusing Christ is enough

not sure how you came by different levels of hell and different levels of punishment. seems to me missing heaven is punishment enough. being forsaken by God....an eternity without light, love or any other comfort we may have known while living in the flesh...

you know, I have to say I honestly do not care about rewards. I am quite content to go to be with God upon leaving this form

but to each his own

I don't believe everyone is equal in heaven....and the Bible does describe rewards as you say. I like the description in Revelation where the elders throw their crowns down..chap 4

10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:

11“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”

sounds about right

you know you ignored most of what I said, including that sexual sin is the only one the Bible says to flee from

so maybe you just want to stick to your own agenda without an actual exchange?

fine by me I guess :rolleyes:

7seasrekeyed

Jesus did not say anything about homosexuality. However He speak clearly about sexuality in general. Concerning marriage and divorce in Matthew 19:3-6 3 Some Pharisees came to Jesus testing Him and asking,“Is it lawfulfor a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?”4 And He answered and said , “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE.5 and said,FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE,AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH? 6 S o they are no longer two, but one flesh.What therefore God has joined together, let no man separated.

The plan and design of God is husband and wife. Not gay to man..

God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah bedestrothe outcry is so great and their sin so blatant. Genesis 19:1-11.

well I replied to that claim that Jesus said nothing about homsexuality way back in post 9 of this thread so I'll just give the same response again

OT law prevailed why Jesus was alive. that is not just the 10 commandments

familiarize yourself with the other 613 'laws' covering everyday life and you will see that the people Jesus came to, the Jews, already knew all about sexual sin and the law is plain regarding homsexual acts

it forbids a man to lie with another man and the penalty for doing so is death

all translations say that it is forbidden:

New International Version
"'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

New Living Translation
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.

English Standard Version
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Berean Study Bible
You must not lie with a man as with a woman; that is an abomination.

New American Standard Bible
'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

King James Bible
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Christian Standard Bible
You are not to sleep with a man as with a woman; it is detestable.

Contemporary English Version
It is disgusting for a man to have sex with another man.

Good News Translation
No man is to have sexual relations with another man; God hates that.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
You are not to sleep with a man as with a woman; it is detestable.

International Standard Version
You are not to have sexual relations with a male as you would with a woman. It's detestable."

NET Bible
You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act.

New Heart English Bible
"'You shall not have sexual relations with a male, as with a woman. That is detestable.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Never have sexual intercourse with a man as with a woman. It is disgusting.

JPS Tanakh 1917
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination.

New American Standard 1977
‘You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

Jubilee Bible 2000
Thou shalt not lie with males as with women; it is abomination.

King James 2000 Bible
You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman: it is abomination.

American King James Version
You shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, because it is an abomination.

Darby Bible Translation
And thou shalt not lie with mankind as one lieth with a woman: it is an abomination.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
"'You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestable.

Young's Literal Translation
And with a male thou dost not lie as one lieth with a woman; abomination it is.

Leviticus 18:22

I don't know what else you would expect Jesus to have said about it? I think this is plain enough

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Thank you for replying but it doesn't answer the question which is why didn't Jesus say one word about it? Homosexuality (orientation) was not undestood in Biblical times. It is not clear throughout the whole Bible; there are only six verses and some of those are questionable/have been questioned.

I am straight. I never chose. I believe it is not a choice. Not one I ever made and not one that anyone can make, or would want to make. That means it is not their fault. So many sins out there where people are harming others and we choose this particular thing to be obsessed with. Why???
B...,
Why are you questioning G-d's authority to class homosexuality and all liars as an abomination?
Do you question His authority to condemn other sins? Why not? Why your objection to homosexuality rejection?
Obsessing?...only the guilty and associates obsess's about what the Bible says in rejection.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
how many sins out side of Christ does a person need to enact? actually just refusing Christ is enough

not sure how you came by different levels of hell and different levels of punishment. seems to me missing heaven is punishment enough. being forsaken by God....an eternity without light, love or any other comfort we may have known while living in the flesh...

you know, I have to say I honestly do not care about rewards. I am quite content to go to be with God upon leaving this form

but to each his own

I don't believe everyone is equal in heaven....and the Bible does describe rewards as you say. I like the description in Revelation where the elders throw their crowns down..chap 4

10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:

11“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”

sounds about right

you know you ignored most of what I said, including that sexual sin is the only one the Bible says to flee from

so maybe you just want to stick to your own agenda without an actual exchange?

fine by me I guess :rolleyes:
Yes hell and heaven have many levels, right from the very bottom to the top. You may not care about rewards in heaven now but you will kick yourself if you end up being a street sweeper instead of a ruler of entire cities, because you decided to be a lazy unprofitable servant in this life.

And those in hell will suffer various degrees of punishment, from as you say separation and loneliness all the way to the pits of hell where they are engulfed with red hot lava and all the do is scream in extreme pain 24/7

There's nothing to comment about sexual sin, we all know it's a serious sin so we try not to surrender to it's temptation but even if we do God will forgive us every time if we are one of his elect.

Blanche

Mar 19, 2018
B...,
Why are you questioning G-d's authority to class homosexuality and all liars as an abomination?
Do you question His authority to condemn other sins? Why not? Why your objection to homosexuality rejection?
Obsessing?...only the guilty and associates obsess's about what the Bible says in rejection.
LOL. over 200 replies and you think I am obsessing? The fact is that Jesus said not one word about it, but others did. Simple as that.

U

UnderGrace

LOL. over 200 replies and you think I am obsessing? The fact is that Jesus said not one word about it, but others did. Simple as that.
I am just wondering why it matters to you, that Jesus is not recorded ( He may have spoken about it and it was not written I am sure He said more than we presently know about) as using that exact term?

Aug 8, 2018
Jesus addressed many issues and many sins and, yet, he never said a thing about this topic.
Yes He did. All of scripture is His Word.
John 1
The Beginning

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

God's Wrath against Sin Romans 1:27-28
…27Likewise, the men abandoned natural relations with women and burned with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. 28Furthermore, since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed, and hatred. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice. They are gossips,…
OT and NT clearly addresses this. What Holy men speak is the Word and the Word became flesh and is Jesus Christ(Yeshua Hamashiach) -Hebrew. God Bless!

Aug 8, 2018
All science ... all Medical associations worldwide are propagating a myth. I guess Evolution is a myth as well. Well, whatever you have to do to keep your "faith" intact, I guess.

So you are saying that straight people never chose, but homosexuals DID choose? huh?? And why choose something that would cause you so much pain and misery due to others? Makes no sense. The whole choice thng is bs.
With that logic you could apply that sentiment across the board. People have chosen many bad things to act on . Hence, the world as it is. Sin is sin it does not matter what it comes dressed in, none of it will enter heaven and have eternal life. What motivates men is evil, no one tells them they have to act upon a sinful thought. All sin acted upon(not inherit faults) are first thoughts the knocking of the knowledge of satan. You must mater it (sin) or it will master you. Christ can redeem us from any sin inherited (death and illness) and personally bad choices . He Restores us to the intended former estate, Eden before the fall. That is why He came.

Aug 8, 2018
Did Jesus say anything about beastiality?
Yes!
All the scriptures are His Word.
The Beginning
John1

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Unlawful Sexual Relations Leviticus 18:22-24
…22You must not lie with a man as with a woman; that is an abomination. 23You must not have sexual relations with any animal, thus defiling yourself with it; a woman must not stand before an animal to mate with it; that is a perversion. 24Do not defile yourselves by any of these practices, for by all these things the nations I am driving out before you have defiled themselves.…
Ecclesiastes 1:8-10
Everything is Futile
…8All things are wearisome, more than one can describe; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear content with hearing. 9What has been is what will be, and what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. 10Is there a case where one can say, “Look, this is new”? It has already existed in the ages before us.…

There nothing new going on today in society. No such thing as NOUVEAU.

Blanche

Mar 19, 2018
I am just wondering why it matters to you, that Jesus is not recorded ( He may have spoken about it and it was not written I am sure He said more than we presently know about) as using that exact term?
I had thought it would be an opening to some intelligent discussion ... but I was wrong. What I have learned after over 400 replies is that I am correct: Some Christians are obsessed with this particular sin. I am quite sure if I had said: Murder or Stealing ... there would be maybe 10 replies. Let's face it: there are two obsessions: abortion and gays. The former I can understand, the latter ... not really. We really do not treat all sin as the same. I dont see street peachers carrrying signs that say "Dont Steal", "Divorcess are going to Hell. But Homosexuality ... lots and lots of signs on that.

And that is the point. The one sin that the vast majority of us do not commit BECAUSE we dont have the attraction is the one we choose to hate on.

U

UnderGrace

I had thought it would be an opening to some intelligent discussion ... but I was wrong. What I have learned after over 400 replies is that I am correct: Some Christians are obsessed with this particular sin. I am quite sure if I had said: Murder or Stealing ... there would be maybe 10 replies. Let's face it: there are two obsessions: abortion and gays. The former I can understand, the latter ... not really. We really do not treat all sin as the same. I dont see street peachers carrrying signs that say "Dont Steal", "Divorcess are going to Hell. But Homosexuality ... lots and lots of signs on that.

And that is the point. The one sin that the vast majority of us do not commit BECAUSE we dont have the attraction is the one we choose to hate on.
Yes I would agree to some extent. I hate those signs by street preachers and how they make a point of showing up a parades and go out of their way to provoke and inflame emotions.

Having said that, I think the gay agenda, which extends beyond equal access has been very powerful, therefore it has caused an equal emotional reaction from some Christians (some who are only nominal).

In my view, the world is going to do what the world is going to do, unfortunately innocent children, however, are very much affected and I can attest to this from both knowledge and experience.

The role of the church, however, is first and foremost to proclaim the Gospel.

Blanche

Mar 19, 2018
Having said that, I think the gay agenda, which extends beyond equal access has been very powerful, therefore it has caused an equal emotional reaction from some Christians (some who are only nominal).
What exactly is this "gay agenda" I keep hearing about? It seems to me the only agenda that this 2% of the population has is to be treated fairly and humanely. Nothing Jesus would not have done. I think there is an agenda, but that agenda is a Christian agenda to vilify them much like what was done to blacks and Jews.

U

UnderGrace

What exactly is this "gay agenda" I keep hearing about? It seems to me the only agenda that this 2% of the population has is to be treated fairly and humanely. Nothing Jesus would not have done. I think there is an agenda, but that agenda is a Christian agenda to vilify them much like what was done to blacks and Jews.
That is up to you to search out and recognize.
However, from the tone of your posts it would seem that you have already adopted the post modern ideology of identity politics so you may or may not recognize it.
From my station in life I see it everyday.

7seasrekeyed

you ask a question for your op and think you have some kind of 'trick' answer for it

"Jesus never said anything about homosexuality"...which means you either are ignorant of scripture or you do not believe that when John writes that Jesus has always been with God, you do not believe it. it's that simple

I do no think 'some' Christians are obsessed with homsexuality...some may even struggle with the feelings but do not act out
I've only posted scripture since I thought you had a legit question going on, in answer to yr op. other posts I made with other members here about related subjects

because, apparently, Jesus didn't say 'Hey Blanche...don't commit same sex sin' you think He had no comment..in spite of the fact He was with God in the beginning (beginning of this world as we understand beginning as God always was as is Jesus)

well people have posted about homosexuality because GUESS WHAT?

that was what YOU wanted to talk about...sorry there was no chit chat about heart surgery or should we apply bug repellent if going outdoors in summer after dusk

sounds more like you think you ran some kind of black ops examination and have decided people failed your exam...maybe because the course you gave was not really what you had in mind

not so genius after all IMO

personally I hardly ever think of homosexuality unless one is standing in front of me or face first on tv...whatever

howver it has pervaded our society, like all sin quite frankly. lying, gossip, theft etc are sins too

and one is not more acceptable to God than another

the worst sin, is refusing Christ. you should know that.

you know, your post I am replying to, really sounds like you have some kind of axe to grind.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Just for clarity for those who teach salvation by works. Believers live according to God's commandments BECAUSE they have already received God's forgiveness by grace through faith and NOT in order to receive God's forgiveness by grace. You have it backwards.

That's not what I said ...at all. That is a deliberate spin.
m...,

I don't think so....by scripture...I am right on.