If Perchance Catholicism Is Mistaken

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
◄ Leviticus 26:1 ►
Leviticus 26 - Click for Chapter
3808 [e] 1
lō- 1
לֹֽא־ 1
Not 1
Adv‑NegPrt 1
6213 [e]
ṯa·‘ă·śū
תַעֲשׂ֨וּ
You shall make
V‑Qal‑Imperf‑2mp

lā·ḵem
לָכֶ֜ם
for yourselves
Prep | 2mp
457 [e]
’ĕ·lî·lim,
אֱלִילִ֗ם
idols
N‑mp

6459 [e]
ū·p̄e·sel
וּפֶ֤סֶל
and neither a carved image
Conj‑w | N‑ms

4676 [e]
ū·maṣ·ṣê·ḇāh
וּמַצֵּבָה֙
and a [sacred] pillar
Conj‑w | N‑fs
3808 [e]
lō-
לֹֽא־
nor
Adv‑NegPrt
6965 [e]
ṯā·qî·mū
תָקִ֣ימוּ
shall you rear up
V‑Hifil‑Imperf‑2mp

lā·ḵem,
לָכֶ֔ם
for yourselves
Prep | 2mp
68 [e]
wə·’e·ḇen
וְאֶ֣בֶן
and an stone
Conj‑w | N‑fsc

4906 [e]
maś·kîṯ,
מַשְׂכִּ֗ית
engraved
N‑fs
3808 [e]

לֹ֤א
nor
Adv‑NegPrt
5414 [e]
ṯit·tə·nū
תִתְּנוּ֙
shall you set up
V‑Qal‑Imperf‑2mp

776 [e]
bə·’ar·ṣə·ḵem,
בְּאַרְצְכֶ֔ם
in your land
Prep‑b | N‑fsc | 2mp
7812 [e]
lə·hiš·ta·ḥă·wōṯ
לְהִֽשְׁתַּחֲוֺ֖ת
to bow down
Prep‑l | V‑Hitpael‑Inf

5921 [e]
Yes, that looks like Bible hub.

I think if you click on the various links in the original web page, you can see that there are multiple definitions for different words. Hebrew, like every human language, requires interpretation.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/psalms/5-6.htm

If you go to interlinear It say

◄ Psalm 5:7 ►
Text Analysis
Go to Parallel Hebrew
Strong's Hebrew English Morphology
589 [e] וַאֲנִ֗י
wa-’ă-nî, But I Conj-w | Pro-1cs
7230 [e] בְּרֹ֣ב
bə-rōḇ in the multitude Prep-b | N-msc
2617 [e] חַ֭סְדְּךָ
ḥas-də-ḵā of Your mercy N-msc | 2ms
935 [e] אָב֣וֹא
’ā-ḇō-w will come V-Qal-Imperf.h-1cs
1004 [e] בֵיתֶ֑ךָ
ḇê-ṯe-ḵā; into Your house N-msc | 2ms
7812 [e] אֶשְׁתַּחֲוֶ֥ה
’eš-ta-ḥă-weh I will worship V-Hitpael-Imperf.h-1cs
413 [e] אֶל־
’el- toward Prep
1964 [e] הֵֽיכַל־
hê-ḵal- temple N-msc
6944 [e] קָ֝דְשְׁךָ֗
qāḏ-šə-ḵā Your holy N-msc | 2ms
3374 [e] בְּיִרְאָתֶֽךָ׃
bə-yir-’ā-ṯe-ḵā. in fear of You Prep-b | N-fsc | 2ms

I Will go to Your house, I Will worship toward temple

Not worship temple.
Right, and again, we would need to know what was going on inside the heart of the Pope to know whether he was worshiping a statue or bowing toward a statue.

Again, the role of three-dimensional objects in worship has been talked about for centuries, and different groups come up with different conclusions.

Most Protestant churches have a three-dimensional cross in them.

There's a famous song in many churches here in America. The chorus goes like this
So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown.

Cherishing and clinging to sound some people like worship. But again, it's a matter of interpretation, imo.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Why discuss anything about the canon of scripture with an unsaved person? Why not focus on the person of Christ that will move them toward salvation?

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Well, I believe you had talked about
"Any discussion must begin with a mutually agreed foundation and that is the bible as the inerrant word of God."

So, I think that arriving at that mutually agreed foundation would include discussing the Canon of scripture.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Scripture alone (sola scriptura) is inspired by God and interpreted, signified according to his hearing prescriptions. God moved men to record his interpretation one word at a time and therefore the whole or perfect. He is not served by human hands of a corrupted creation. His wrath is being revealed from the moment he corrupted it His glory departed..

It’s not like scripture is inspired by God, and the cannon by men that looked to be venerated. A form of worship. Puffing up each other after the flesh above sola scriptura all things written in the law and the prophets ) venerating men by seeking what the eyes see above that as it is written That’s a Catholic format They either forget or ignore that all such false boasting seeking the approval of men shows their goal to venerate the things seen as if the kingdom of God came by observation.

1 Corinthians 4:6-7 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Can you see the difference? You must hold on to the ideas of puffing up venerating men above that which is written. The Catholic call it according to their book of the law of the fathers CCC the same Divine source of faith.

No man can serve two teaching masters even though a law of the Catholics fathers called after a succession of men seen apostolic succession. Destroying the meaning of the word apostle.

All things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura) is the restoring authority of the government of God in any time period.

It effectively worked in the first century as a carbon copy of the 15 the century. It does its promised work to teach guide comfort and last but not least bring to our minds the things he has taught us as to waking by one faith .Our daily bread working in us daily. As a hope we are doing his will our living hope that does not disappoint what God has appointed. It is he
I see. and does
Scripture alone
include the longer ending of Mark?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
yes there can be a difference between bowing in front of something and worshipping something.

so we would probably need to know what is in the heart of the Pope to know whether he was just bowing or actually worshipping.
The bible state even bowing is prohibit

Leviticus 26:1 King James Version (KJV)

26 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God.

To bow Down unto.

Hindu an Budha bow Down unto the tpstatue when they pray, and pope publicly did the same.

tumeric

Apr 1, 2015
MARK C 9 V 38-41 AND OTHER VERSES IN OTHER GOSPELS / WE ARE ALL CHRISTIANS AND THE SOONER WE ALL JOIN IN ACCEPTING THIS SIMPLE FACT WE WILL KEEP LOSING OUR YOUTH AND PUT DOUBT IN THOSE CHRISTIANS WHO ARE SEEDED IN ROCKY CREVICES / PREACH "" BROTHERHOOD LOVE NOT HATE AND DOUBT "" / ANYONE WHO TEACHES THAT "" JESUS IS THE CHRIST SON OF OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN"" IS OUR BROTHER OR SISTER AS JESUS THE CHRIST IN HIS WORDS IS QUOTED AS SAYING WRITTEN IN MARK C9 V38-41 / WE SHOULDN'T BE AS THE PHARISEES WERE WHERE IN JESUS THE CHRIST WORDS WERE THAT THEY WERE JUDGING BY THE LAWS MADE BY THOSE OF MEN / MY FAITH IN JESUS THE CHRIST WAS NOT CAUSED BY ANY CHURCH OR RELIGION OR READING BIBLICAL VERSES BUT ON THE CONTRARY THEY HAVE TROUBLED MY SOUL BECAUSE THE ""SHEPHERDS "" OF THESE HAVE CAUSED SO MUCH DIVISION

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
MARK C 9 V 38-41 AND OTHER VERSES IN OTHER GOSPELS / WE ARE ALL CHRISTIANS AND THE SOONER WE ALL JOIN IN ACCEPTING THIS SIMPLE FACT WE WILL KEEP LOSING OUR YOUTH AND PUT DOUBT IN THOSE CHRISTIANS WHO ARE SEEDED IN ROCKY CREVICES / PREACH "" BROTHERHOOD LOVE NOT HATE AND DOUBT "" / ANYONE WHO TEACHES THAT "" JESUS IS THE CHRIST SON OF OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN"" IS OUR BROTHER OR SISTER AS JESUS THE CHRIST IN HIS WORDS IS QUOTED AS SAYING WRITTEN IN MARK C9 V38-41 / WE SHOULDN'T BE AS THE PHARISEES WERE WHERE IN JESUS THE CHRIST WORDS WERE THAT THEY WERE JUDGING BY THE LAWS MADE BY THOSE OF MEN / MY FAITH IN JESUS THE CHRIST WAS NOT CAUSED BY ANY CHURCH OR RELIGION OR READING BIBLICAL VERSES BUT ON THE CONTRARY THEY HAVE TROUBLED MY SOUL BECAUSE THE ""SHEPHERDS "" OF THESE HAVE CAUSED SO MUCH DIVISION
38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

Matt 7

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Not only base oN one part of the bible my friend by their fruit you shall know them

One of the popes fruit is promote antichrist government

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/10/25/the-vatican-calls-for-world-government/

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Well, I believe you had talked about
"Any discussion must begin with a mutually agreed foundation and that is the bible as the inerrant word of God."

So, I think that arriving at that mutually agreed foundation would include discussing the Canon of scripture.
Textual criticism argues against the bible. The only foundation is that the bible is the word of God and is able to make men wise unto salvation. Other men's writings about the bible are not God breathed and not going to endure for eternity. Gods word the bible will endure throughout all of eternity.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
The bible state even bowing is prohibit

Leviticus 26:1 King James Version (KJV)

26 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God.

To bow Down unto.

Hindu an Budha bow Down unto the tpstatue when they pray, and pope publicly did the same.
Was the pope bowing unto or toward?

Again, I think we would need to know what was in his heart as to whether he was worshipping or not.

Also, I've heard the Catholics talk about a difference between veneration and adoration. I'm not sure where or how worship fits into those.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Hi tumeric!

I think it's like this
Philippians 2: 1. If there is therefore any exhortation in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tender mercies and compassion, 2. make my joy full, by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind; 3. doing nothing through rivalry or through conceit, but in humility, each counting others better than himself.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Textual criticism argues against the bible. The only foundation is that the bible is the word of God and is able to make men wise unto salvation. Other men's writings about the bible are not God breathed and not going to endure for eternity. Gods word the bible will endure throughout all of eternity.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Well, if you wish to use the Bible as the foundation of a discussion, I think it would be helpful to be able to say what words are in the Bible and what words are not. Textual criticism is simply process of asking what words were in the original manuscript when it was first written, and by implication, what is the Bible.

Do you remember when you wrote this?
Why discuss anything about the canon of scripture with an unsaved person?
Because if you're going to use the Bible as a foundation for your discussion, then I think it's important to say what books are in the Bible and what are not.

Textual criticism and the Canon of scripture are related but kind of different subjects.

The Canon is about what documents the Bible is composed of. Textual criticism asks what were the original versions of those documents.

So when discussing what is scripture, or what is the Bible, most people start with the canon.

So if you're going to use the Bible as the basis of a discussion, which Canon will you use? Will you start from scratch, or will you follow one of the traditions?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014

Again, I think we would need to know what was in his heart as to whether he was worshipping or not.

Also, I've heard the Catholics talk about a difference between veneration and adoration. I'm not sure where or how worship fits into those.
http://image.catholicnews.com/imagehandler/photos/2015/04/16/20150416cnsbr8901_250.jpg

Pope bow infront of Mary statue.

When Muslim in the world pray, they face toward city of mecca, their Holy city, like jerusalem for jews.

Also bible say by the fruit you tell the tree

The fruit of pope that suspecious me is promote one world government.

In my country high catholic priest in central have capital city where I was life, promote islam Christian worship together

I believe It go to one world religion

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
http://image.catholicnews.com/imagehandler/photos/2015/04/16/20150416cnsbr8901_250.jpg

When Muslim in the world pray, they face toward city of mecca, their Holy city, like jerusalem for jews.

In my country high catholic priest in central have capital city where I was life, promote islam Christian worship together

As we talked about earlier, is the Pope bowing toward or bowing unto? It's not clear from the picture to me.

Like we talked about earlier, bowing toward the temple is okay, but bowing unto the temple is not.

One thing I'm wondering about is what the preposition in Hebrew is. Sometimes the same preposition will be translated different ways by translators.

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014

I found this page from Bible hub that talks about the preposition in Psalm 5:7
https://biblehub.com/hebrew/413.htm

Looks like it can mean a bunch of things, including to and toward.
So, translator's choice, I'm thinking.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hi tumeric!

I think it's like this
Philippians 2: 1. If there is therefore any exhortation in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tender mercies and compassion, 2. make my joy full, by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind; 3. doing nothing through rivalry or through conceit, but in humility, each counting others better than himself.

Philippians 2:1-2 and 13 :)

Sep 17, 2019
Catholic also Lie and teach islam share the same God to Christian. The fact is the God of islam do not teach Jesus is God so islam God have different teaching with Christian God, mean catholic Lie

Lumen gentium II/16/126

126 But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind. Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things,1

Catholic do not teach that Islam God is God. We simply believe that there is only one God and different interpretation. We believe in love and acceptance. We preach to accept everyone despite their religion and background. Let’s say that Islam God is not God, must you point finger and hate Muslim because they are different. They are human like you . Some were born Muslim and practice what was taught to me. The reason why catholic accept Islam is because we believe in love . Remember he scriptures one man helped another he saw on the road. That other man was from a different religion and background. Jesus used this example when he was explaining love your brother like yourself. None of Us know what we will see after we die whether our faith is justified or not. Muslim also think Christian have the wrong God. Who is right? God knows. Is someone necessarily right? Why don’t we love each other first as son of God.

Mar 28, 2016

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

The word hallowed is to be venerated as those who lord it over the belief of others. In that way Catholicism like corrupted Judaism venerated their fathers and as patron saints believing they are communing with the dead. Its after one manner Father not seen .

Rachel hiding from her father sat on the teraphims, images of workers with familiar spirits They were need to put a face of the legion the many. When it does come up its does come as a legion a image idol. It must be used to give the illusion they are communing with those not seen who lord it over their faith.

They talk about a difference between veneration and adoration (worshipping and worshipping) trying to create a difference but the scriptures show us no difference .

They change the meaning of words like the word "apostle" into a succession of venerable men and in doing so violate the warning not to add other meanings to a word it can change the commandments or intent as it does (.Deuteronomy 4:1-2)And rather than coming from God not seen. . . they come from man once seen. . . Making the unseen source of faith without effect.

No man can serve two teaching masters . We look to the things not seen, the things of faith. Not to the things of men, no faith, rather walking by sight.

Deuteronomy 4:1-2 King James Version (KJV)Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers giveth you. Ye shall not add unto the word (singular) which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, (singular)that ye may keep the commandments (plural) of the Lord your God which I command you.

Keeping the integrity of the word throughout and when the last new revelation came it was sealed with seven seals The warning to not add to the whole or perfect at the end . Protecting all things written in the law and prophets (sola scriptura)

Mar 28, 2016
Catholic do not teach that Islam God is God. We simply believe that there is only one God and different interpretation. We believe in love and acceptance. We preach to accept everyone despite their religion and background. Let’s say that Islam God is not God, must you point finger and hate Muslim because they are different. They are human like you . Some were born Muslim and practice what was taught to me. The reason why catholic accept Islam is because we believe in love . Remember he scriptures one man helped another he saw on the road. That other man was from a different religion and background. Jesus used this example when he was explaining love your brother like yourself. None of Us know what we will see after we die whether our faith is justified or not. Muslim also think Christian have the wrong God. Who is right? God knows. Is someone necessarily right? Why don’t we love each other first as son of God.
It has much to do with the laws of corruptible men. The law of the fathers (many) or called "apostolic succession" of men. . .destroying the meaning of the word.. . . the wrath of God being revealed from heaven .

They oppose the laws of God not seen. Their denomination Catholic is not listed in the Bible. The law of the fathers that was inherited from the Sadducees with Pharisees who put aside their differences. Who is the greatest" working together it became the tool of making sola scriptura without effect. .Calling the Devine word of God "heresy" and their own law as that which rises up all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura)

For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes: (not catholic) Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law. But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands, Commanding his accusers to come unto thee: by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him.And the Jews also assented, saying that these things were so. Then Paul, after that the governor had beckoned unto him to speak, answered, Forasmuch as I know that thou hast been of many years a judge unto this nation, I do the more cheerfully answer for myself: Because that thou mayest understand, that there are yet but twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem for to worship. And they neither found me in the temple disputing with any man, neither raising up the people, neither in the synagogues, nor in the city: Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me.But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: 5-14

What would the Pope, the Catholics daysman thier own personal Holiness say to sola scriptura?

Heresy or the final authority in matters of faith not seen that alone comes from hearing our Father not seen and not men seeen ?

Big difference between worshipping the unseen God of the seen fathers. . . and worshipping the fathers (legion) as many gods . The numbers of patron saints is still being added picking up speed.

Mar 28, 2016
I found this page from Bible hub that talks about the preposition in Psalm 5:7
https://biblehub.com/hebrew/413.htm

Looks like it can mean a bunch of things, including to and toward.
So, translator's choice, I'm thinking.
Towards can mean to look to the direction of intent. looking ahead. For the 3rd time the meaning was hid to help them to learn how to interpret parables. . the language of faith . Christ's intent was to the Samaritans, .The faithless apostles said call down fire and destroy. Out of sight out of mind. No faith needed in the foundation of Paganism

And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. Luke 9:51-55

manner of spirit. . . . "faithless"

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Well, if you wish to use the Bible as the foundation of a discussion, I think it would be helpful to be able to say what words are in the Bible and what words are not. Textual criticism is simply process of asking what words were in the original manuscript when it was first written, and by implication, what is the Bible.

Do you remember when you wrote this?

Because if you're going to use the Bible as a foundation for your discussion, then I think it's important to say what books are in the Bible and what are not.

Textual criticism and the Canon of scripture are related but kind of different subjects.

The Canon is about what documents the Bible is composed of. Textual criticism asks what were the original versions of those documents.

So when discussing what is scripture, or what is the Bible, most people start with the canon.

So if you're going to use the Bible as the basis of a discussion, which Canon will you use? Will you start from scratch, or will you follow one of the traditions?
Use the one you have on your lap. The bible generally has 66 books. It however does not need all 66 to teach a man what he needs to know to get saved. The catholics are welcome to the additional apocryphal books but they are not essential.

The unsaved man must only believe that the bible is the word of God. If there is no belief in the bible as Gods word there is nothing to discuss. Unsaved people who want to discuss what should be in the bible and what should not be in the bible are only looking to create room to insert their beliefs as equal to what God has declared.

For the cause of Christ
Roger