Awesome responses to the OP. Some I agree with and some I do not agree with the complete response. That's the reason I started the thread.
In my opinion, one's faith is affected; stronger, weaker. That's what trials and storms do. That's how our spiritual sides grow or not.
This I believe as well. God always answers prayers; yes, no, not now. And no does not mean He didn't answer. We are told to bring all requests, all thanks and all praise to Him. Thus, there would be no reason for Him to refrain from answering our pleas or praise or questions.
My husband suffered the loss of his only daughter through suicide. He prayed many nights over his daughter. I won't go any further with that because death by suicide is another whole thread in itself.
I have prayed for love ones who were suffering and they were not healed. Yet, God had His reasons and through time I was able to come to an understanding.
I as well firmly believe we must pray with faith and believing but most certainly with asking God that His Will be done and not our own.
God expects us to pray without ceasing for ourselves and for others. How those prayers turn out is in the hands of God and He has a plan and a purpose for everything that happens. Everything can be used to the glory of God and to the purpose of His will.