I'm 16 and my mom tries to ban me from worshipping God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Boy15Boy

Jan 2, 2022
Hello everyone, I am Liam and I am a 16-year-old boy. I came here for some advice but first, I need to give some details on my background. My parents have never believed in God and I grew up not thinking much about God and not really believing because they did not direct me towards him.

5 years ago when I was 11 my Dad died and the funeral was what you call a humanist funeral I guess, not particularly religious. After he died I started to read the bible and I started to feel God for the first time, I got on my knees and started to worship and praise Him, it just happened really suddenly and unexpectedly but the change came after my dad died like as if God wanted to reach out to me at that point. Then I went to church and I got on my knees in the pews and since then for the past 4 years, I've worshipped the Lord. I do this privately at home and in church, kneeling or lying face down on the ground.

There are things the 11/12-year-old me did that I don't do now as I know they are sins. When I was 11 I started to masturbate like most boys do I guess. When I was 12 and my faith was growing I stopped. It was hard to stop since I enjoyed it and it felt good but I'd rather obey the Lord than enjoy a moment of selfish sinful pleasure that will offend him. I try not to look lustfully at girls also and I don't worship anything or anyone else but God. I don't think about money, gaming, sex, or anything that is a distraction from the Lord. I am focused on him all the time.

The problem is my mom still does not believe in God and she has a hard time accepting my faith. When I first found God she thought it was a phase I would grow out of but over time my faith, and my devotion to worshipping and praising the Lord, just grows stronger and she still doesn't accept it. She banned me from going to church when I was 13 hoping I would ''get over it'' but then when I was 14 I went back, now I'm 16 she still tries to ban me again but I just do it anyway and sometimes she grounds me to stop me from going. I know I shouldn't disobey my mom but surely she has no right to keep trying to separate me from the Lord? And getting grounded just for going to church is ridiculous and unfair?

She thinks I'm being brainwashed at the church and that I don't think for myself only what they tell me, but it's not true. I found faith by myself while reading the bible and went to church later. Church just helps strengthen my faith and keep me focused on the Lord as it helps to have fellowship with other believers. She also thinks it's unhealthy for a 16-year-old to be ''obsessed with God'' but surely being in love with the Lord and worshipping him is the healthiest place to be and what we should all be doing? I can't understand why she thinks my relationship with God hurts me when it does the opposite. I believe God created us so we would worship him and glorify him.

Given how serious the punishment is for unbelievers or those who don't obey and don't repent (an eternity in Hell) I can't allow her to stop me from worshipping. I don't want to fight with her either, how can I get her to accept this and stop trying to ban me from God? I'd much rather be kneeling before him for eternity, worshipping him and glorifying him, than be in eternal punishment separated from him.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Hello Boy15Boy, what an astounding story. I agree with you fully not to fight with your mom. I guess you could still worship God wherever you are whether at church or not. Worshipping is also not limited to specific day or place and you made great strides until now. To God be the glory. And I am not making light of the situation either. I love the zeal that you are displaying and it shows me. God is using this situation to let you go through the fiery furnace to purify your character. I had kinda similar experience to yours but I was more older than you in my late twenties. But mine was about going to different church then what the rest of my family gone too. I would say stay patience and demonstrate to your mom through your actions of the change in your heart which occured. You could do that without having to go to church. And maybe that way, she will come around until you are by the means live on your own.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Hello everyone, I am Liam and I am a 16-year-old boy. I came here for some advice but first, I need to give some details on my background. My parents have never believed in God and I grew up not thinking much about God and not really believing because they did not direct me towards him.

5 years ago when I was 11 my Dad died and the funeral was what you call a humanist funeral I guess, not particularly religious. After he died I started to read the bible and I started to feel God for the first time, I got on my knees and started to worship and praise Him, it just happened really suddenly and unexpectedly but the change came after my dad died like as if God wanted to reach out to me at that point. Then I went to church and I got on my knees in the pews and since then for the past 4 years, I've worshipped the Lord. I do this privately at home and in church, kneeling or lying face down on the ground.

There are things the 11/12-year-old me did that I don't do now as I know they are sins. When I was 11 I started to masturbate like most boys do I guess. When I was 12 and my faith was growing I stopped. It was hard to stop since I enjoyed it and it felt good but I'd rather obey the Lord than enjoy a moment of selfish sinful pleasure that will offend him. I try not to look lustfully at girls also and I don't worship anything or anyone else but God. I don't think about money, gaming, sex, or anything that is a distraction from the Lord. I am focused on him all the time.

The problem is my mom still does not believe in God and she has a hard time accepting my faith. When I first found God she thought it was a phase I would grow out of but over time my faith, and my devotion to worshipping and praising the Lord, just grows stronger and she still doesn't accept it. She banned me from going to church when I was 13 hoping I would ''get over it'' but then when I was 14 I went back, now I'm 16 she still tries to ban me again but I just do it anyway and sometimes she grounds me to stop me from going. I know I shouldn't disobey my mom but surely she has no right to keep trying to separate me from the Lord? And getting grounded just for going to church is ridiculous and unfair?

She thinks I'm being brainwashed at the church and that I don't think for myself only what they tell me, but it's not true. I found faith by myself while reading the bible and went to church later. Church just helps strengthen my faith and keep me focused on the Lord as it helps to have fellowship with other believers. She also thinks it's unhealthy for a 16-year-old to be ''obsessed with God'' but surely being in love with the Lord and worshipping him is the healthiest place to be and what we should all be doing? I can't understand why she thinks my relationship with God hurts me when it does the opposite. I believe God created us so we would worship him and glorify him.

Given how serious the punishment is for unbelievers or those who don't obey and don't repent (an eternity in Hell) I can't allow her to stop me from worshipping. I don't want to fight with her either, how can I get her to accept this and stop trying to ban me from God? I'd much rather be kneeling before him for eternity, worshipping him and glorifying him, than be in eternal punishment separated from him.
A tough situation. We will pray for you that you have wisdom. Do the people at your church know your situation? They should be praying also. God can make even your enemies to be at peace with you. (Proverbs 17:7)

My situation was a little different. I was saved when I was 20. My parents lived in NZ while I was/am in Australia. My dad was an atheist. Every home visit was a conflict. As I grew in Christ, there was much less friction. I stopped winding dad up and he was set free from alcoholism. I last saw him a few years before he passed away. It was quite sudden. We could not have got on any better. He was still not saved, but all the aggression had gone. God can do the same for you.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
A tough situation. We will pray for you that you have wisdom. Do the people at your church know your situation? They should be praying also. God can make even your enemies to be at peace with you. (Proverbs 17:7)

My situation was a little different. I was saved when I was 20. My parents lived in NZ while I was/am in Australia. My dad was an atheist. Every home visit was a conflict. As I grew in Christ, there was much less friction. I stopped winding dad up and he was set free from alcoholism. I last saw him a few years before he passed away. It was quite sudden. We could not have got on any better. He was still not saved, but all the aggression had gone. God can do the same for you.
I can definitely relate. In our house there were also conflict when it came to the weekend. During the week everything was fine until the weekend came around. Because I joined the Adventist church which worship on Saturday and the rest of my family worshipping on Sunday. My dad still wanted to force me to attend church with them even though I went to church the previous day. I didn't fight but I stood for how God was leading me. And I cliamed the story of Daniel who was threwn in the lions den. The King made an decree that nobody such worship any other god for 30 days. But Daniel was not moved. And the conflict got to breaking point but I trusted God. I thought my dad was going to throw me out of the house. But after one Sunday morning he didn't forced me anymore. You have to be patience during persecution.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Love reading this..

GOD be your strength and comfort. Love and honour your Mom.. though it will be difficult you can never be kept from worshipping Heavenly Father.

In spirit and truth... The love you have is going to grow...may that burn for the glory of GOD.

Peace and Blessings.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
God didn't put a condition on this commandment, but He did put a promise on it.

Deu 5:16 “‘Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

I suggest that you become the Christian child that God expects you to be. Obey your parents in all things.

Don't tell them that God has changed you. Show them how God has change you.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

This saying of Jesus is fulfilled everyday by somebody. Like people are saying, submit to your parents as unto the Lord. There's a line, with unbelieving parents that overstep, though. I'm pretty sure you have some religious rights in the UK, so if it gets too bad- I would imagine someone at your school or church could help you with asserting your rights, if you think that's necessary.

Dec 15, 2021

Hello Boy15boy you're a very brave warrior of God and an inspiration. The word of God, the Bible that is, can be summed up with one word, Love. No matter what someone does, says or demands you to do or not to do, love them with the Love Jesus gives you. Jesus died on the cross for all of us and for each one individually as well, that includes you and your lovely mother. I know what it is like to be persecuted for believing in God, exercising my faith as I made some bad decisions and poor choices when I was young. I committed crimes that result in imprisonment for over 22 years. Many of the men ridiculed me for being a Christian and I just loved them and prayed for them. One of the men that persecuted me apologized and eventually turned his life over to Christ. He said it was the consistency of the character of love that I showed that pulled at his heart. I told him that was Jesus in me, that I am incapable to show the love that Jesus gives, but rather I am transparent and surrendered my life to Jesus which shines through me. So my advice to you is to love your Mother with the love that Jesus loves you with and follow Jesus and the word of GOD.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Its hard, what I did was when I was going out and atheist mum would ask where I was going I'd just say to the library or into town, or seeing friends or a meeting instead of saying going to church, because she'd harangue/hassle me if I said that.

(Church does have a library so...I was not lying) . Lifes not always fair, but faith always grows under adversity so, just keep going. God will work on your mum just as sure as the sun shines and the rain falls. She is actually incredibly lucky to have a son like you

would she rather have a son on drugs or in jail? I dont think so.

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
Act_5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Heb_10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Rom_12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Jos_1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Your story is astounding, friend, and I pray God will give you wisdom in this situation.

We Christians try to live peaceably as best as we are able to do so, but there are situations where we must take a stand and follow God no matter what kind of strife or consequence that obedience may stir up. No government or person has the right to keep you from worshiping God in spirit and in truth.

Seeing that you ought to obey God rather than men, you should continue going to church when you can, reading and memorizing your Bible, and praying.

God bless!

S

Starsdance

Hello,Liam! First I want to say, you are a very honest boy,and a very blessed child of God.:)Your mother and my father were very much alike. They were both very firm in not believing in God and my dad hates Christians. In addition, my father repeatedly made me leave my faith by means of threats, intimidation and coercion. I had the same experience as you before, but my mother and my church have always prayed for me and my father. In terms of faith, I firmly believe in God and do not shrink back. Brother, what your mother and my father did was a trick of the devil, satan is always doing the demolition work, he wants you to break away from God, destroy your faith life through the people around you, please be careful. Remember, God is always fighting for you, trusting and relying on Him in everything.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.(2 Timothy 1:7 KJV)
Continue to love your mother, don't hate her for the reason she pushed you, love her even more, keep praying for her salvation, your church needs to keep praying for her salvation, your church can talk to her if you can. I guess you are still a junior high school student, you must have a lot of changes in Christ, such as personality, living habits, academic performance and so on, let your mother see that you are different from the past, let her see that God has the ability to change you.
I'll keep praying for you and your mother. Don't lose heart!

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;(Matthew 5:44 KJV)
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.(Ephesians 6:10-12 KJV)

Sho125

Nov 26, 2017

I am so sorry to see that your mother has banned you from going to church. Please still continue going to church and keep believing in God you need to stop your mother from stopping you from going to church.