Im interested in studying the Appologetics, book suggestions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

shawny_boy

Hey guys, It may sound silly, but while Ive been a christian all my life, ive never heard of the appologetics before. After reading some information on the web, I am discovering things that I never knew were in there. IE// the mention of dinosaurs, cavemen etc... which I find amazing, as these are areas that, in the past, people have used to try and discredit the bible to me. I really want to learn more, to better defend my faith. Can anyone recommend some books that are worth reading, that point out some of the proven facts in the bible?

S

Scotth1960

Hey guys, It may sound silly, but while Ive been a christian all my life, ive never heard of the appologetics before. After reading some information on the web, I am discovering things that I never knew were in there. IE// the mention of dinosaurs, cavemen etc... which I find amazing, as these are areas that, in the past, people have used to try and discredit the bible to me. I really want to learn more, to better defend my faith. Can anyone recommend some books that are worth reading, that point out some of the proven facts in the bible?
Dear shawny_boy: The best book in Christian apologetics is the following book:

Azkoul, Father Michael. (2000). Once Delivered To the Saints: An Orthodox Apology For the New Millennium. Seattle, WA: St. Nectarios Press.
Saint Nectarios Press
10300 Ashworth Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98133-9410
More on Christian apologetics: Defending the Virgin Mary:

Saint Cyril of Alexandria. (2004). Against Those Who Are Unwilling to Confess that the Holy Virgin Is Theotokos. translated from the Greek by Protopresbyter George Dion. Dragas, editor. Rollinsford, NH: Orthodox Research Institute.
Orthodox Research Institute
20 Silver Lane
Rollinsford, NH 03869
Orthodox Research Institute

See also:
Protopresbyter John Romanides. (2004). An Outline of Orthodox Patristic Dogmatics. (Epitomos Orthodoxos Paterike Dogmatike). English-Greek. Edited and Translated by Protopresbyter George Dion. Dragas. Rollinsford, NH: Orthodox Research Institute.

The best general apologetics for true Christianity is:

Gillquist, Fr. Peter E. (1992). Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith. Revised and Expanded Edition. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press.

God bless you. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington August 2011 AD

R

rainacorn

Anything by CS Lewis (except Chronicles of Narnia lol)

Lee Strobel is also really good. William Craig is another one.

R

rainacorn

Anything by CS Lewis (except Chronicles of Narnia lol)

Lee Strobel is also really good. William Craig is another one.
I guess I should clarify. These are mainline protestant apologists. No denominations that I am aware of, but not Catholic.

D

DiscipleWilliam

It sounds like you would like to concentrate on creation apologetics, and to do so you should specify your world-view before we can properly recommend some apologetic books for you. Are you Young-Earth, Old-Earth etc. Creation apologetics is good brother but just remember it's not the Gospel. Yes, defending the faith is important but God saves individuals via the Gospel but thank the LORD that you are interested in apologetics.

D

dmdave17

R.C. Sproul does Apologetics.
I personally believe that Dr. Sproul is one of the foremost modern-day apologists. Following is a list of books from his web site that influenced his thinking.
1. The Freedom of the Will, Edwards
2. The Bondage of the Will, Luther
3. Institutes of the Christian Religion, Calvin
4. God in Modern Philosophy, Collins
5. A Time For Truth
, Simon
6. Charity and Its Fruits, Edwards
7. The Person of Christ, Berkhouwer
8. Gospel Fear, Burroughs
9. Gospel Worship, Burroughs
10. Institutes of Elenctic Theology (3 Vol.)
, Turretin
11. Principles of Conduct, Murray
12. A Christian View of Men and Things, Clark
13. Thales to Dewey
, Clark
14. Here I Stand, Bainton
15. A Simple Way to Pray, Luther
God with with you in your quest.

S

Scotth1960

I personally believe that Dr. Sproul is one of the foremost modern-day apologists. Following is a list of books from his web site that influenced his thinking.
1. The Freedom of the Will, Edwards
2. The Bondage of the Will, Luther
3. Institutes of the Christian Religion, Calvin
4. God in Modern Philosophy, Collins
5. A Time For Truth
, Simon
6. Charity and Its Fruits, Edwards
7. The Person of Christ, Berkhouwer
8. Gospel Fear, Burroughs
9. Gospel Worship, Burroughs
10. Institutes of Elenctic Theology (3 Vol.)
, Turretin
11. Principles of Conduct, Murray
12. A Christian View of Men and Things, Clark
13. Thales to Dewey
, Clark
14. Here I Stand, Bainton
15. A Simple Way to Pray, Luther
God with with you in your quest.
R.C. Sproul is a Calvinist heretic who believes in the Calvinist heresies of double predestination and the double procession of the Holy Spirit (Filioque).
God save us from Calvinism. It's not dangerous to those who know and love the truth, but it's dangerous to those who believe it.
Christ said, "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." Calvinism is false.
God save us. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington PS Martin Luther's book "The Bondage of the Will" is heresy, too.

S

shawny_boy

It sounds like you would like to concentrate on creation apologetics, and to do so you should specify your world-view before we can properly recommend some apologetic books for you. Are you Young-Earth, Old-Earth etc. Creation apologetics is good brother but just remember it's not the Gospel. Yes, defending the faith is important but God saves individuals via the Gospel but thank the LORD that you are interested in apologetics.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about lol. Young Earth, old earth??? What do you mean creation apologetics? As opposed to what? Im aware that the apologetics is not the Gospel, I just want to be able to better defend and back up my faith to others. I had no idea there were different types of apologetics, this is all very new to me. If it matters, I am a christian, not catholic, though I dont tie myself down to one demonination. I am simply a follower of Christ.

S

shawny_boy

is anyone familiar with the book 'Know Why You Believe' by Paul Little ?

D

DiscipleWilliam

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about lol. Young Earth, old earth??? What do you mean creation apologetics? As opposed to what? Im aware that the apologetics is not the Gospel, I just want to be able to better defend and back up my faith to others. I had no idea there were different types of apologetics, this is all very new to me. If it matters, I am a christian, not catholic, though I dont tie myself down to one demonination. I am simply a follower of Christ.
Yes there are different forms of apologetics. I understand that you are not a Catholic and don't "tie yourself down to one denomination," but regardless of that statement there is a denomination that alligns with your particular belief system even if you might not be cognizant of one at the moment, unless you are a heretic. There are different world-views when it comes to creation respectively. The age of the Earth is not an essential tenet that determines a persons salvation in the LORD unless it's a form of evolutionary creationism, theistic evolution-ism or abstract deism so numerous Christians can hold to differing views of the age of the cosmos and still be numbered among the elect. Some people believe that the Earth is young (6-10,000 years old); while others -like myself- believe that the Earth is progressively older (4.5 billion years old +/- a few million). Knowing which camp you are in will determine how you engage in apologetics.

J

jimmydiggs

I've been reading Five Views on Apologetics which is published by Zondervan today. So far I'm about to start on evidentialism.

So far I think my approach has mostly been a mix of classical/evidentialism/presuppositionalism.

Jan 18, 2011
R.C. Sproul is a Calvinist heretic who believes in the Calvinist heresies of double predestination

Yet double predestination is quite clearly taught in scripture.

and the double procession of the Holy Spirit (Filioque).
God save us from Calvinism. It's not dangerous to those who know and love the truth, but it's dangerous to those who believe it.
Christ said, "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." Calvinism is false.
God save us. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington PS Martin Luther's book "The Bondage of the Will" is heresy, too.

S

Scotth1960

Dear shawny_boy: The best book of Christian apologetics is:

Azkoul, Fr. Michael. (2000). Once Delivered Unto the Saints: An Orthodox Apology For the New Millennium. Seattle, WA: St. Nectarios Press.

God bless you always. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington August 2011 AD

S

Scotth1960

[/b]

Yet double predestination is quite clearly taught in scripture.
Dear trust in the name:

That is 100 percent wrong. Double predestination is a heresy and is not taught by Scripture.

It is proved wrong by the following 2 verses:

I Timothy 2:4

2 Peter 3:9

Jan 18, 2011
Dear trust in the name:

That is 100 percent wrong. Double predestination is a heresy and is not taught by Scripture.

It is proved wrong by the following 2 verses:

I Timothy 2:4

2 Peter 3:9

4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:4)

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

Although God does desire all men to be saved and is not willing that any should perish, He did nevertheless create them for that purpose. The fact that He doesn't desire them to perish doesn't change the fact that He created them for that reason.

4 The Lord has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom. (Proverbs 16:4)

Why has the Lord made the wicked? For the day of doom.

7 When the wicked spring up like grass, And when all the workers of iniquity flourish, It is that they may be destroyed forever. (Psalm 92:7)

Why do the wicked spring up like grass? That they may be destroyed forever. Why do all the workers of iniquity flourish? That they may be destroyed forever.

18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens. 19 You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?" 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?" 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? 22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? (Roman 9:18-24)

"[W]hom He wills He hardens." Who hardens them? God does. "Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?" No one has resisted His will, but He nonetheless does still find fault. After all, "who are you to reply against God?"

God, who is "the potter," made "from the same lump" vessels both "for honor and ... for dishonor." The "vessels of wrath" He "prepared for" what? He prepared them for "destruction" (hell). You can deny that scripture teaches this all you like, but that won't change the fact that it's in there.

May 2, 2011