Hi guys,
I got onto the idea of writing this small series hearing so many talented singers in YouSing chatroom. Every single person I've heard was so precious and talented, uniquely amazing and lovely to listen.
I never received education for contemporary singing, but I do have behind me 3 years of schooling in opera singing, plus one more year of training in medieval singing. There are some things that apply to every genre and I want to share them with you guys, praying that Jesus will increase our talants manyfold. It only takes paying attention and practicing, anyone can do it, and it will tremendously improve how you sing.
Part one of this series deals with phrasing.
When we sing, we tend to think from one tone to the next, instead of observing the melody as a sentence. So we often end up (we ALL did it and do it) with a chopped melody instead of a phrase. Listen to the Attachment 1 and hear the difference. I emphasised it on purpose to make your ear catch it the next time.
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/YLgkneL2ce/attachment_1.html
An-gels-roool-the-rooock-a-waaay, versus the flowing ~Angels roll the rock away~. We need to phrase because we are not singing one tone after another, that's not our point. Do not fear the next tone, if you're thinking about the story, it will come out right. We are telling a story. Just keep the flow, as if you talked in sentences, especially if the melody is slower. Don't worry if you don't have a perfect vocal control. If you phrase your melodies like this (let them flow like sentences instead of chopping them up), it will instantly sound as if you do. You can easily do the same, all it takes is paying attention. It is a small detail that we usually don't catch, but it improves singing a lot once we do.
In the next part I will write about proper breathing. Jesus bless you!
I got onto the idea of writing this small series hearing so many talented singers in YouSing chatroom. Every single person I've heard was so precious and talented, uniquely amazing and lovely to listen.
I never received education for contemporary singing, but I do have behind me 3 years of schooling in opera singing, plus one more year of training in medieval singing. There are some things that apply to every genre and I want to share them with you guys, praying that Jesus will increase our talants manyfold. It only takes paying attention and practicing, anyone can do it, and it will tremendously improve how you sing.
Part one of this series deals with phrasing.
When we sing, we tend to think from one tone to the next, instead of observing the melody as a sentence. So we often end up (we ALL did it and do it) with a chopped melody instead of a phrase. Listen to the Attachment 1 and hear the difference. I emphasised it on purpose to make your ear catch it the next time.
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/YLgkneL2ce/attachment_1.html
An-gels-roool-the-rooock-a-waaay, versus the flowing ~Angels roll the rock away~. We need to phrase because we are not singing one tone after another, that's not our point. Do not fear the next tone, if you're thinking about the story, it will come out right. We are telling a story. Just keep the flow, as if you talked in sentences, especially if the melody is slower. Don't worry if you don't have a perfect vocal control. If you phrase your melodies like this (let them flow like sentences instead of chopping them up), it will instantly sound as if you do. You can easily do the same, all it takes is paying attention. It is a small detail that we usually don't catch, but it improves singing a lot once we do.
In the next part I will write about proper breathing. Jesus bless you!