In the Bible, I Spy........

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Wrong! Lol!

You’re close.... I just did not I Spy a person’s name........

I Spied something PURPLE that the woman (Lydia) sold......so, what was it? :unsure:

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Wrong! Lol!

You’re close.... I just did not I Spy a person’s name........

I Spied something PURPLE that the woman (Lydia) sold......so, what was it? :unsure:
Well in that case just purple according to the KJV...but probably fabrics is more likely correct.

So imma say fabrics.

Then again she could have been a dyer of things and legit "sold purple"

I'll let @crossnote go as there is legit no way I would have found that tonight without that hint ;)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Well in that case just purple according to the KJV...but probably fabrics is more likely correct.

So imma say fabrics.

I'll let @crossnote go as there is legit no way I would have found that tonight without that hint ;)
You are correct! Lydia sold purple fabric.

Great job, @Mii and @crossnote!

It’s @Mii turn!

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I am almost certain that Lydia was selling the pigment itself, that was very costly and then used for dyeing fabrics later (although I might be wrong).
It was derived from the shells Murex Trunculus (and Brandaris) and the shade was leaning towards a warm, wine-ish purple color.
Tyre was known for this pigment, thus it was called "Tyrian Purple".

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I am almost certain that Lydia was selling the pigment itself, that was very costly and then used for dyeing fabrics later (although I might be wrong).
It was derived from the shells Murex Trunculus (and Brandaris) and the shade was leaning towards a warm, wine-ish purple color.
Tyre was known for this pigment, thus it was called "Tyrian Purple".
You are probably right!

The scripture actually does not say cloth but just “seller of purple.”

And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
Acts 16:14 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Acts 16:14&version=KJV

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
You are probably right!

The scripture actually does not say cloth but just “seller of purple.”

And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
Acts 16:14 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Acts 16:14&version=KJV
Tyrian purple (Ancient Greek: πορφύρα porphúra; Latin: purpura), also known as Phoenician red, Phoenician purple, royal purple, imperial purple, or imperial dye, is a reddish-purple natural dye; the name Tyrian refers to Tyre, Lebanon.
And just like that, the confusion of the color of Jesus' robe (purple or scarlet) is clarified... what a genius of God to deck Him with royal purple and scarlet at the same time using one robe.

Purple is my favorite color so I was very attracted to study the origins... :)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
W

So imma say fabrics.

Well, Mii did guess the seller of purple first but, Mii passed to crossnote then, SoulWeaver answered with the correct answer- seller of purple pigment........so, I am officially declaring it is @crossnote turn due to Mii’s pass and SoulWeaver did not answer first. :love:(y)

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
W

Well, Mii did guess the seller of purple first but, Mii passed to crossnote then, SoulWeaver answered with the correct answer- seller of purple pigment........so, I am officially declaring it is @crossnote turn due to Mii’s pass and SoulWeaver did not answer first. :love:(y)
:oops: I really need to read up the rules
I mainly posted because purple, I'm a maniac when it comes that subject I can talk about that pigment for hours :LOL:

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Well I just checked back. I'm heading to bed...I'll just go ahead and spy since Crossnote hasn't responded and when you find it just roll ahead lol or wait for him, your call ha. It has been enjoyable. Great idea :)

I spy twelve stones.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Well I just checked back. I'm heading to bed...I'll just go ahead and spy since Crossnote hasn't responded and when you find it just roll ahead lol or wait for him, your call ha. It has been enjoyable. Great idea :)

I spy twelve stones.
Hmm.......precious gem stones or large boulder type stones? :unsure:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I spy twelve stones.
Hmm.......precious gem stones or large boulder type stones? :unsure:
Hint: A memorial
Okay, my guess is........when the Israelites crossed the Jordan River.....each tribe took a stone from the river and placed them where they slept that night and Joshua set up 12 stones in the midst of the Jordan River where the priests feet had stood when the waters parted allowing Israel to cross over.

Joshua 4:1-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Memorial Stones
4 And it came to pass, when all the people had completely crossed over the Jordan, that the Lord spoke to Joshua, saying: 2 “Take for yourselves twelve men from the people, one man from every tribe, 3 and command them, saying, ‘Take for yourselves twelve stones from here, out of the midst of the Jordan, from the place where the priests’ feet stood firm. You shall carry them over with you and leave them in the lodging place where you lodge tonight.’ ”

4 Then Joshua called the twelve men whom he had appointed from the children of Israel, one man from every tribe; 5 and Joshua said to them: “Cross over before the ark of the Lord your God into the midst of the Jordan, and each one of you take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the children of Israel, 6 that this may be a sign among you when your children ask in time to come, saying, ‘What do these stones mean to you?’ 7 Then you shall answer them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord; when it crossed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. And these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever.”

8 And the children of Israel did so, just as Joshua commanded, and took up twelve stones from the midst of the Jordan, as the Lord had spoken to Joshua, according to the number of the tribes of the children of Israel, and carried them over with them to the place where they lodged, and laid them down there. 9 Then Joshua set up twelve stones in the midst of the Jordan, in the place where the feet of the priests who bore the ark of the covenant stood; and they are there to this day.

10 So the priests who bore the ark stood in the midst of the Jordan until everything was finished that the Lord had commanded Joshua to speak to the people, according to all that Moses had commanded Joshua; and the people hurried and crossed over.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Ooookay. Some of us need sleep.

I spy something fingerpainting.
Hint: Finger painting is on the wall.
I only know of one story where the Finger of God wrote upon a wall......in the Book of Daniel....:unsure:

Daniel 5:22-28 New King James Version (NKJV)
22 “But you his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, although you knew all this.
23 And you have lifted yourself up against the Lord of heaven. They have brought the vessels of His house before you, and you and your lords, your wives and your concubines, have drunk wine from them. And you have praised the gods of silver and gold, bronze and iron, wood and stone, which do not see or hear or know; and the God who holds your breath in His hand and owns all your ways, you have not glorified.
24 Then the fingers of the hand were sent from Him, and this writing was written.

25 “And this is the inscription that was written:

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN.

26 This is the interpretation of each word. MENE: God has numbered your kingdom, and finished it;
27 TEKEL: You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting;
28 PERES: Your kingdom has been divided, and given to the Medes and Persians.”