In the days of Peleg

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

Omegatime

To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided,---Gen 10:25. To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg (for in his days the earth was divided---1 Chronicles 1:19.

How many of you think the earth was gathered in one place previously and that the ring of fire as it is known today came from the division of the earth. This took place less than 2000 years from creation. The flood took place in year 1656 from creation. Peleg died in the year of 1996 from creation.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
That's one interpretation. Another is that the lands were divided by water in his lifetime; the melting of the post-flood ice sheets could have caused land bridges to be submerged, effectively dividing one land from another.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I'm not sure, but it's hard to look at the geography of the earth and not think that a lot of the land masses were connected at one time.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
That's one interpretation. Another is that the lands were divided by water in his lifetime; the melting of the post-flood ice sheets could have caused land bridges to be submerged, effectively dividing one land from another.
Its possible that what they call Pangaea was in existence...

And might have happened...

Or the Mediterranean sea opened up and Europe separated itself from Turkey.

After the Biblical account of the flood....I don't see how the geography could remain the same as it was pre-flood.

The Fertile Crescent was Pre-flood and is described in detail in Genesis 2.
So where this was the entire "known Earth" for a long time... maybe because it was separated it was forgotten. The Himalayas would have stopped any excursion farther East...but Indian Spices did get to Egypt on a consistent basis... Afghanistan was a "dead zone"....not much food or water east of India. And north was too cold to have anything of value.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Peleg lived post flood so I don't think it's referring to the Atlantic.
I think it's a more local split, possibly the dividing of the African continent from Arabia,
The Gulf of Aqaba or Persian Gulf. But I could be wrong.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Peleg lived post flood so I don't think it's referring to the Atlantic.
I think it's a more local split, possibly the dividing of the African continent from Arabia,
The Gulf of Aqaba or Persian Gulf. But I could be wrong.
The Atlantic would be in the West far away from the Fertile Crescent which is the location of most of the activities discussed in the scriptures.

But Peleg is mentioned in a genealogical section...it's meant to be an explanation of the time especially when there is more than one person by that title.

Names weren't tags as we use them today...they were always descriptive titles.

AND

If you put the definitions of the names in sequence they create convoluted prophecy.

Aug 2, 2021
To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided,---Gen 10:25. To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg (for in his days the earth was divided---1 Chronicles 1:19.

How many of you think the earth was gathered in one place previously and that the ring of fire as it is known today came from the division of the earth. This took place less than 2000 years from creation. The flood took place in year 1656 from creation. Peleg died in the year of 1996 from creation.
The continents fit together, so i believe they were separated by God for our own protection.
This was still not enough so God went one step further.

Now the whole world had one language and a common form of speech. 2And as people journeyed eastward,a they found a plain in the land of Shinarb and settled there.
3And they said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” So they used brick instead of stone, and tar instead of mortar.
4“Come,” they said, “let us build for ourselves a city with a tower that reaches to the heavens, that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of all the earth.”
5Then the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men were building. 6And the LORD said, “If they have begun to do this as one people speaking the same language, then nothing they devise will be beyond them. 7Come, let Us go down and confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another’s speech.”
8So the LORD scattered them from there over the face of all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9That is why it is called Babel,c for there the LORD confused the language of the whole world, and from that place the LORD scattered them over the face of all the earth.
Genesis 11

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Apparently at some point India broke away and was floating by itself as an island then crashed into Asia and formed the Himalayas.

The flood really split up the land because the 'fountains of the deep' burst open, like underwater volcanoes /geysers etc. So there was a lot of movement. Mostly what we are living on, is actually the top most earth, there used to be a lot more land but it was drowned by the flood.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Trivia: it’s generally understood that “Hebrew” was derived from “Eber” (Heber in the Septuagint).

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Trivia: it’s generally understood that “Hebrew” was derived from “Eber” (Heber in the Septuagint).
That might be true
BUT
It's a bastardization for "ahpiru" in ancient Egyptian which is the Egyptian word for Homeless Bum/a family's reject. (Patriarchal nuclear society)