Inspiring Quotes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
This is a simple, but has the ability to be a powerful and inspiring Thread. I will start and may it help lift us all up, inspire us to keep reaching forward and upward! Enjoy!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @BlessedByGod, your Teddy Roosevelt quote reminded me a bit of something that Dr. J I Packer had to say about two different kinds of Christians (balconeers and travelers) in the preface to his wonderful book called, Knowing God, so I thought I'd post it here :)

"In A Preface to Christian Theology, John Mackay illustrated two kinds of interest in Christian things by picturing persons sitting on the high front balcony of a Spanish house watching travelers go by on the road below.
The “balconeers” can overhear the travelers’ talk and chat with them; they may comment critically on the way that the travelers walk; or they may discuss questions about the road, how it can exist at all or lead anywhere, what might be seen from different points along it, and so forth; but they are onlookers, and their problems are theoretical only. The travelers, by contrast, face problems which, though they have their theoretical angle, are essentially practical—problems of the “which–way–to–go” and “how–to–make–it” type, problems which call not merely for comprehension but for decision and action too.
Balconeers and travelers may think over the same area, yet their problems differ. Thus (for instance) in relation to evil, the balconeer’s problem is to find a theoretical explanation of how evil can consist with God’s sovereignty and goodness, but the traveler’s problem is how to master evil and bring good out of it. Or again, in relation to sin, the balconeer asks whether racial sinfulness and personal perversity are really credible, while the traveler, knowing sin from within, asks what hope there is of deliverance. Or take the problem of the Godhead; while the balconeer is asking how one God can conceivably be three, what sort of unity three could have, and how three who make one can be persons, the traveler wants to know how to show proper honor, love and trust toward the three Persons who are now together at work to bring him out of sin to glory. And so we might go on.
Now this is a book for travelers, and it is with travelers’ questions that it deals."

~Deut

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
Hello @BlessedByGod, your Teddy Roosevelt quote reminded me a bit of something that Dr. J I Packer had to say about two different kinds of Christians (balconeers and travelers) in the preface to his wonderful book called, Knowing God, so I thought I'd post it here :)

"In A Preface to Christian Theology, John Mackay illustrated two kinds of interest in Christian things by picturing persons sitting on the high front balcony of a Spanish house watching travelers go by on the road below.
The “balconeers” can overhear the travelers’ talk and chat with them; they may comment critically on the way that the travelers walk; or they may discuss questions about the road, how it can exist at all or lead anywhere, what might be seen from different points along it, and so forth; but they are onlookers, and their problems are theoretical only. The travelers, by contrast, face problems which, though they have their theoretical angle, are essentially practical—problems of the “which–way–to–go” and “how–to–make–it” type, problems which call not merely for comprehension but for decision and action too.
Balconeers and travelers may think over the same area, yet their problems differ. Thus (for instance) in relation to evil, the balconeer’s problem is to find a theoretical explanation of how evil can consist with God’s sovereignty and goodness, but the traveler’s problem is how to master evil and bring good out of it. Or again, in relation to sin, the balconeer asks whether racial sinfulness and personal perversity are really credible, while the traveler, knowing sin from within, asks what hope there is of deliverance. Or take the problem of the Godhead; while the balconeer is asking how one God can conceivably be three, what sort of unity three could have, and how three who make one can be persons, the traveler wants to know how to show proper honor, love and trust toward the three Persons who are now together at work to bring him out of sin to glory. And so we might go on.
Now this is a book for travelers, and it is with travelers’ questions that it deals."

~Deut
That was an awesome think to add here, thank you.
I have not read anything from him, but it sounds like I would enjoy reading this book for sure (if the book is as good prefaces is).
Thank you for Blessing us all with sharing that one Traveller to another.🙂

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"The decisions you make affect those around you. Choose wisely. You had to get up and go to work today because of a decision two naked people made many years ago in a garden."

exegete

Dec 23, 2018
My Tiny Apartment
I found this in Life Bits a few months ago and with my past I've found it quite encouraging:

IF YOU THINK YOU'VE BLOWN GOD'S PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE, REST IN THIS: YOU, MY BEAUTIFUL FRIEND, ARE NOT THAT POWERFUL.

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
"The decisions you make affect those around you. Choose wisely. You had to get up and go to work today because of a decision two naked people made many years ago in a garden."
Funny and true🙂

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
“Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death”.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
That was an awesome think to add here, thank you.
I have not read anything from him, but it sounds like I would enjoy reading this book for sure (if the book is as good prefaces is).
Thank you for Blessing us all with sharing that one Traveller to another.🙂
Hello again brother, I know of no other recent book that has received as much acclaim from every quarter of Christendom (theologians, pastors, missionaries, Christian musicians, etc., some saying they reread it every year) as Dr. Packer's Knowing God has.

Dr. Packer is a conservative Anglican theologian and professor, just FYI, at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia.

~Deut

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
Hello again brother, I know of no other recent book that has received as much acclaim from every quarter of Christendom (theologians, pastors, missionaries, Christian musicians, etc., some saying they reread it every year) as Dr. Packer's Knowing God has.

Dr. Packer is a conservative Anglican theologian and professor, just FYI, at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia.

~Deut

And you very much. It started off great, so I would love to look into it further!
Great addition here! This was my hope and prayer for this Thread...to inspire others with throught provoking Quotes from others.
We all have come across different things in our Travels in the search for truths and wisdom that leads us ever closer to God and our purpose here. Along with Peace, Comfort, Joy, Happiness, Strength and like Our Heavenly Father is...Love! This Thread is off to a great start, praise be to God for sharing here through you (and everyone else that has and will post) for us all to grow in 🤗.

Aug 2, 2009
When you're young -
You have all the time and all the energy, but no money

When you're middle aged -
You have all the energy and all the money, but no time

When you're old -
You have all the money and all the time, but no energy

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
Helen Keller

H

Heart_Melody

"Let what you say be sweet - because you might h

H

Heart_Melody

"Make sure the words you speak are sweet - because you might have to eat them later on!"

That is a saying I grew up with.
I used to be so critical and I had to eat bitter words, sour words and mean words and they taste worse going down then they did coming up!!! It's not worth it!

"If you don't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all" is also a wonderful saying.
Or:
"We have two ears and one mouth - therefore we should be doing twice the listening!"
(And we also have two hands for twice the doing ;p)

And two of my favorite contemporary Poems are these

"Her heart was wild -
But I did not want to catch it,
I wanted to run with it -
to set mine free"
by Atticus

and

"A bird doesn't sing because it has the answer
It sings, because it has a song."
by Joan Walsh Anglund​

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
""If you don't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all"
As I was reading your post about making your words sweet, this came to mind and you beat me to it lol.

This was engrained in me when I was growing up from my parents. I have not been perfect but I try to follow those words of wisdom.

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
“Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.”– John F. Kennedy