Interesting parallels....

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Willie-T

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
22,418
413
0
A friend of mine wrote this in one of his books awhile back. I found looking up the parallel verses to be quite surprising.
**************************************************

The most important Old Testament book to a proper understanding of the Book of Revelation is Ezekiel. Ezekiel prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem in the Old Testament and gives a most stunning parallel of the Book of Revelation.

Examine carefully the following list of parallels between the contents of Revelation and Ezekiel:
1.The Throne Vision (Rev. 4; Ezek. 1)
2.The Book (Rev. 5; Ezek. 2–3)
3.The Four Plagues (Rev. 6:1–8; Ezek. 5)
4.The Slain under the Altar (Rev. 6:9–11; Ezek. 6)
5.The Wrath of God (Rev. 6:12–17; Ezek. 7)
6.The Seal on the Saint’s Foreheads (Rev. 7; Ezek. 9)
7.The Coals from the Altar (Rev. 8; Ezek. 10)
8.No More Delay (Rev. 10:1–7; Ezek. 12)
9.The Eating of the Book (Rev. 10:8–11; Ezek. 2)
10.The Measuring of the Temple (Rev. 11:1–2; Ezek. 40–43)
11.Jerusalem and Sodom (Rev. 11:8; Ezek. 16)
12.The Cup of Wrath (Rev. 14; Ezek. 23)
13.The Vine of the Land (Rev. 14:18–20; Ezek. 15)
14.The Great Harlot (Rev. 17–18; Ezek. 16, 23)
15.The Lament over the City (Rev. 18; Ezek. 27)
16.The Scavengers’ Feast (Rev. 19; Ezek. 39)
17.The First Resurrection (Rev. 20:4–6; Ezek. 37)
18.The Battle with Gog and Magog (Rev. 20:7–9; Ezek. 38–39)
19.The New Jerusalem (Rev. 21; Ezek. 40–48)
20.The River of Life (Rev. 22; Ezek. 47)

Ezekiel is to the Old Testament what the Book of Revelation is to the New Testament. Ezekiel laid out the coming destruction of Jerusalem (by the Babylonians) in the Old Testament, and John used the same prophetic language to speak of the imminent coming destruction of Jerusalem in the New Testament. With that framework, the symbolism of Revelation is set in place and becomes simpler to interpret.

Also, Ezekiel is the turning point of the Old Testament. Before Ezekiel, from Adam to Solomon, the kingdom of Israel continually gained momentum. This momentum began to slow with the divided kingdom, but Ezekiel brought any remaining momentum to a screeching halt. His prophecy was followed by captivity, exile, a post-exilic return to Jerusalem, and a painful rebuilding process while still under a measure of captivity. After four hundred years of silence, the story of the Jews is resumed in the New Testament with Jerusalem under Roman oppression.

One crucial difference exists between Ezekiel’s (as well as Jeremiah’s, and Isaiah’s) prophecies of the coming destruction of Jerusalem and the apostle John’s prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem. Ezekiel, Jeremiah, and Isaiah all prophesied a future return to Jerusalem, which manifested through Ezra and Nehemiah. In contrast, John declared the utter devastation of Jerusalem with no re-gathering to the land.
1.Ezekiel prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem in 586 BC.
2.John prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70.
1.Ezekiel prophesied the post-exilic return and rebuilding of Jerusalem (see Ezek. 34–37).
2.John prophesied no such return and no rebuilding of Jerusalem.

Many scholars have struggled with and debated over the somewhat odd and choppy version of Greek the apostle John used to write the Book of Revelation. I believe this is simply solved by observing that John was taking on a different prose and style in order to prophesy in the manner of Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Jeremiah, his Old Testament shadows.

Thus we can see the backdrop of the whole Bible is needed to understand the point and purpose of Revelation. The painting is painted in this manner because of the biblical surroundings and backdrop of John’s day and the historical precedent of Ezekiel. John’s readers in the first century Church would have known the recent history of the Jews and would have recognized the parallels between Ezekiel’s prophecy and John’s. The fact that the modern Church has so poorly understood the meaning of Revelation demonstrates our lack of understanding regarding these very things.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tintin and kodiak
You can see why I answered your PM about book recommendations the way I did, K. Most of this forum would have a heart attack before finishing the first chapter of many books I read.
 
Honestly? I suspect we might be close to each others' beliefs on End Times stuff. Looks like it from this list. I have two regrets with this list:
1. You picked the day I couldn't sleep last night, (Good morning! :rolleyes:) so I can't think well enough to check it out.
2. You posted this on Misc. I wish you had posted it on BDF. I would have liked to watch the discussion that followed.

As for having a heart attack on the first chapter of books you read? I seriously doubt it. We have some Watchman Nee books on our shelves. We have Rushdooney. I have a book about how to deal with chronic pain by some guy (often featured on PBS fundraisers, but can't pronounce is name, so can't remember it) who made what looked like a reasonable case for past lives as the cause. The only argument against what he said was it is opposite of what God says. I even have Terry Bolea's autobiography. (Hulk Hogan from WWE fame. lol) I'm not big on Live Guys for Christian Commentary, but I'm also not big on murder mysteries or spy novels. I don't get shocked that others are into that stuff.
 
Honestly? I suspect we might be close to each others' beliefs on End Times stuff. Looks like it from this list. I have two regrets with this list:
1. You picked the day I couldn't sleep last night, (Good morning! :rolleyes:) so I can't think well enough to check it out.
2. You posted this on Misc. I wish you had posted it on BDF. I would have liked to watch the discussion that followed.

As for having a heart attack on the first chapter of books you read? I seriously doubt it. We have some Watchman Nee books on our shelves. We have Rushdooney. I have a book about how to deal with chronic pain by some guy (often featured on PBS fundraisers, but can't pronounce is name, so can't remember it) who made what looked like a reasonable case for past lives as the cause. The only argument against what he said was it is opposite of what God says. I even have Terry Bolea's autobiography. (Hulk Hogan from WWE fame. lol) I'm not big on Live Guys for Christian Commentary, but I'm also not big on murder mysteries or spy novels. I don't get shocked that others are into that stuff.

I seldom post ANYTHING on The BBF. I dislike putting my friends' writings out where the wolves howl and the jackasses bray. If people choose to limit themselves to The BBF, GREAT.
 
Honestly? I suspect we might be close to each others' beliefs on End Times stuff. Looks like it from this list. I have two regrets with this list:
1. You picked the day I couldn't sleep last night, (Good morning! :rolleyes:) so I can't think well enough to check it out.
2. You posted this on Misc. I wish you had posted it on BDF. I would have liked to watch the discussion that followed.

As for having a heart attack on the first chapter of books you read? I seriously doubt it. We have some Watchman Nee books on our shelves. We have Rushdooney. I have a book about how to deal with chronic pain by some guy (often featured on PBS fundraisers, but can't pronounce is name, so can't remember it) who made what looked like a reasonable case for past lives as the cause. The only argument against what he said was it is opposite of what God says. I even have Terry Bolea's autobiography. (Hulk Hogan from WWE fame. lol) I'm not big on Live Guys for Christian Commentary, but I'm also not big on murder mysteries or spy novels. I don't get shocked that others are into that stuff.

Someday I just might pass on a couple of titles to you. One that a not-so-close acquaintance wrote, Raptureless, is one you probably WOULD enjoy. You can go to his website, and download an older edition of it for free.
 
John didn't prophesy a regathering but in Revelation you see that a regathering of Jews had already taken place...unless one is going to jump into a preterist pit.
 
I seldom post ANYTHING on The BBF. I dislike putting my friends' writings out where the wolves howl and the jackasses bray. If people choose to limit themselves to The BBF, GREAT.
Ezekiel -- Book of the Bible
Revelation -- Book of the Bible
The list -- a discussion about the Bible.

Thus BDF. This certainly beats Trump is the Antichrist, the same woman copy-pasting article after article of Adventist stuff pretending she's giving sermons. LGBT propaganda. And Let's talk about tongues over and over again. At least it's really about the Bible. :D
 
John didn't prophesy a regathering but in Revelation you see that a regathering of Jews had already taken place...unless one is going to jump into a preterist pit.
Sometimes I wonder if you'll ever get I'm not a preterist.
smiley-emoticon-325-basic%20smileys%20gallery%20-%20page%202-spock.gif


Willie? Are you? (It's okay if you are, just like it's okay if Crossnote thinks anyone who doesn't believe what he believes about End Times is nuts.
smiley-emoticon-302-basic%20smileys%20gallery-lol.gif
)
 
Sometimes I wonder if you'll ever get I'm not a preterist.
smiley-emoticon-325-basic%20smileys%20gallery%20-%20page%202-spock.gif


Willie? Are you? (It's okay if you are, just like it's okay if Crossnote thinks anyone who doesn't believe what he believes about End Times is nuts.
smiley-emoticon-302-basic%20smileys%20gallery-lol.gif
)

Did I in this post call you a preterist? Did I even address you? It's been so long ago...somewhere in the prophetic past :p ..
Yeah, I'm not nuts about preterism but is that what I was saying?
Nope, I said, "unless one is going to jump into a preterist pit."