Intermittent Fasting, Sauna

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
www.youtube.com
My wife and I enjoy weightlifting at our local YMCA 6 or so times a week and we have added a couple of things to our daily routine that could be of benefit to some who may be interested.

Two years ago we began to use the sauna based on scientific research we heard, that I don't remember and can't bore you with, but which was very impressive. We do it 5 days a week for 15 minutes at a time and it has been a real blessing. My sauna is usually around 200 degrees and you build up a tolerance to it. One of the benefits we've noticed is that our skin never gets dry, which is something that I struggled with every winter. There's all kind of research about rates of mortality decreasing and things called telomeres, and I can't speak to that, but I can say that we have noticed that inflammation decreases with using the sauna, as well.

Earlier this year we added in time restricted eating, or intermittent fasting, and it has also increased our quality of life. We only consume calories between 7am and 3pm. I have a friend who does noon-8pm. Where the window falls, I don't think is terribly important, but the idea is to give your digestive system time off. Again, there is a lot of research that details the benefits of this kind of schedule and I don't want to bore you with it, you can Google it, but I do want to share that it really has changed our lives. For one, I struggled mightily with insomnia for many years and nothing could help. Now I'm cured! My wife sleeps better too. We eat basically anything during the eating window, though "smartly": making sure to get enough fruits and vegetables and protein. But if you think about how life has been for our ancestors, having food available 24/7 is really a new thing and not the way humans ate for millenia. Being able to pop open the fridge for a snack came along recently and it's led to some pretty bad outcomes.

Both practices have really helped us. If you are interested, check in to them and feel free to ask any questions. I would encourage you to make time for exercise, too, if possible. Culture has also become much more sedentary over the past 100 years but we aren't designed to be sedentary. We are God's temple and should care for it. We make time for the things that are important to us. The mind/body connection is powerful.

God bless!

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
That's great stuff. If I can humbly submit, due to circadian rhythms, its optimal to do the window between around 9am to 5pm. Or 9:30am, 10am to 5:30pm, 6pm. We all should try to eat no later then around 6:30, 7pm. Seven at night is already pushing it. We should have our last meal at least 3 hours before going to sleep, although that can vary according to what we eat for our last meal. And based on studies of when our bodies do their biological detox during sleep, 10pm to 2am are the times. So ideally we should be sleeping by around 9:30pm, allowing our bodies time to go into a deeper sleep mode to segway into the natural dialysis sleep at those times induce.

Of course there are variables, and maintaining close to those times is sufficient. And I understand people's schedules sometimes don't allow them to adhere to those times.

Bottom line, allowing the digestive system to rest for 15 hours a day has amazing health benefits, as the poster attested.

I know some people who did a once a day meal only meal plan for long periods of time. A great way to cleanse the body without doing an actual fast.
But that's a whole 'nother paradigm.

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
www.youtube.com
That's great stuff. If I can humbly submit, due to circadian rhythms, its optimal to do the window between around 9am to 5pm. Or 9:30am, 10am to 5:30pm, 6pm. We all should try to eat no later then around 6:30, 7pm. Seven at night is already pushing it. We should have our last meal at least 3 hours before going to sleep, although that can vary according to what we eat for our last meal. And based on studies of when our bodies do their biological detox during sleep, 10pm to 2am are the times. So ideally we should be sleeping by around 9:30pm, allowing our bodies time to go into a deeper sleep mode to segway into the natural dialysis sleep at those times induce.

Of course there are variables, and maintaining close to those times is sufficient. And I understand people's schedules sometimes don't allow them to adhere to those times.

Bottom line, allowing the digestive system to rest for 15 hours a day has amazing health benefits, as the poster attested.

I know some people who did a once a day meal only meal plan for long periods of time. A great way to cleanse the body without doing an actual fast.
But that's a whole 'nother paradigm.
Thanks for bringing up circadian rhythms - I had forgotten about that. I think food messes with my blood sugar more than others, so I think that was the primary motivation for moving our eating up earlier in the day. Dr. Rhonda Patrick has been our resource for a lot of what we're doing regarding sauna and time restricted eating. Cheat days haven't worked for us, though. She claims you can have 2 a week but they just throw us off.

Good info. Thank you.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
I started doing this, which is why I asked about fasting in the bible discussion forum. I didn't know if I failed with this because I wasn't placing the spiritual application to fasting, if that makes sense. Or basically because I lack discipline lol I will try again.

G

Godsgirl83

I tried the intermittent fasting for a (very short) time earlier this year.....
it was a little difficult for me at first to get into it, but I did start noticing a difference in how my body was operating.
Sadly it wasn't long enough to actually see results (due to my own lack of self discipline) but is something I have been giving thought to getting back into after the holiday hustle bustle (I know if I try to start anything right now I will not have much success, but am getting better at what I CHOOSE to put in my body, many holiday goodies that I would consume in great amounts in the past are now done MUCH less..... so far ;) )
Thanks to the OP for the post. Great reminder and always encouraging to hear real results from real people.

S

selfdissolving

i do 23/1 intermittent fasting and also the ketogenic diet.

it's friggin awesome.

Feb 28, 2016
never lose the knowledge that each and everyone of us/you possesses our very own genetic-make-up, (personality)
and can never be put into a scientific BOX, not to mention a Spiritual One, unless our Heavenly Father
has 'called-us-out and separated us'!!! = when and if He does, and we realize this, then we will crawl our way out,
if we Love Him with all of our hearts - we must act and show our Love to Him in any and all ways that we can!!!

for myself, I can easily 'fast=food'-'not liquids' - one, but sometimes two days a week, (if needed),
but of course I have to consider my hydration at ALL times, which will ALWAYS be pure or organic -
this is not a hardship for me at all, for as a child I was often starved...my results are always 100%
in as far as building-up my immune system and eliminating toxins, along with all of our natural healing
additives... = even those that make me feel really ill when entering stores such as 'wal-mart', home-depot,
dollar-tree, 'ACE', etc. another words,
any enclosed building that carries extreme toxins or sells products that are totally filled with dyes-poisons-fillers -
not to mention in the 'south', where we live, the extreme over spraying for roaches and other insects is becoming just
over-powering' - I most often have to leave the stores after shopping and leave hub at the check-out, as I am feeling so sick
that I have leave him and go out to the car...
actually, I have come to realize in the last few years, that I will soon have to wear a 'mask' in order to go into these
places in order to get what we need, which, is becoming 'less and less'...

on the other hand, my husband was a very well fed child into adulthood with very loving parents who considered
his 'health', plus he spent his whole childhood (out-side-at-the-beach)(fresh-air), not 'artificial air' -

we have both been into forced 'fasting' many times, by our Saviour, because of what was going on in our lives
and being 'led' in order to maintain our health for survival at that particular time -
so we do have quite a lot of experience in this genre...remember, we are only human and learning how to live
'the Holy Life' that God has blessed us with'...'One Day AT A TIME'...

even so, the bottom line is, our world is a world of forcing poisons down the throats of those who believe and follow
the popular media-lies-deception...
you are always included in our prayers, each and every night sent out to Yeshua to 'heal and deliver' our brothers and sisters
from this evil-world's seductive-deceptive-evil ways...

von1

Apr 22, 2010
One thing I been working is to avoid drinks that contain sugar, like cokes, tea, coffee. I been drinking more water and can tell a difference just in doing that.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
One thing I been working is to avoid drinks that contain sugar, like cokes, tea, coffee. I been drinking more water and can tell a difference just in doing that.
You should look into the benefits of saline water also. Notice how IV bags are saline solution?

Care must be exercised to not "over salt" and there's a big craze about pink Himalayan salt at the moment, but there is some scientific support for its benefits also.

I had a headache when I woke up...a bad one. I realized that I had no salt at all yesterday, one 6oz serving of saline water and my headache is now gone. So that's nice :)

Feb 28, 2016
Mii,
please read up on 'salt' and the 'real salts of the earth=sea-hymalyan' it's such an enlightening benefit for all of us -
all we have to know or accept is that the 'refined'-foods' are detrimental to our health and will cause
one to have so many physical problems as they grow older and older, and mostly are un-reversible...

von1

Apr 22, 2010
You should look into the benefits of saline water also. Notice how IV bags are saline solution?

Care must be exercised to not "over salt" and there's a big craze about pink Himalayan salt at the moment, but there is some scientific support for its benefits also.

I had a headache when I woke up...a bad one. I realized that I had no salt at all yesterday, one 6oz serving of saline water and my headache is now gone. So that's nice :)
Thanks for sharing, very good point about that.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Yeah it wasn't until the last few months that I became aware of Pink Himalayan salt @oldethennew

I have lately heard that there are FAR cheaper sources for quality salt that you just have to dig a bit for. So just look for a good price first, because a mild search you are going to pay double or triple.

Feb 28, 2016
Mii,
where we live, we have a store called 'Big Lots', and they often carry both the 'Black & the Red Himalayan Salt for
about $2 or $3.00 for a good amount - these are one of the big discount stores where we live, u.s. -
I recently read an article where someone picked up a # of pink Himalayan salt at a 'dollar tree store for just a $1.00.
just go out there to the discount stores and I know for SURE that you will find what you want for a very good price...
also shop =Home Goods-TG MAX - Ross, etc., they carry 'name brands' and often 'organic' products in every genre"...

hub and I feel really 'blessed' to have been enlightened to these stores who buy up from the 'over-priced' ones that
we can't afford and now we are able to feed ourselves, in our 'range, the very best for us at this time...
:):)

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
I started doing this, which is why I asked about fasting in the bible discussion forum. I didn't know if I failed with this because I wasn't placing the spiritual application to fasting, if that makes sense. Or basically because I lack discipline lol I will try again.
Historically, Christian fasting has been abstention from certain categories of food (typically on Wednesday and Friday and involving meat, oil, fish, dairy) ... not a complete abstention from all food/drink which is where you may be having difficulay. Also, with all such spiritual disciplines, the spiritual aspect is primary, the discipline secondary. Otherwise it becomes something we do with no real significance.

P

planitsoon

My wife and I enjoy weightlifting at our local YMCA 6 or so times a week and we have added a couple of things to our daily routine that could be of benefit to some who may be interested.

Two years ago we began to use the sauna based on scientific research we heard, that I don't remember and can't bore you with, but which was very impressive. We do it 5 days a week for 15 minutes at a time and it has been a real blessing. My sauna is usually around 200 degrees and you build up a tolerance to it. One of the benefits we've noticed is that our skin never gets dry, which is something that I struggled with every winter. There's all kind of research about rates of mortality decreasing and things called telomeres, and I can't speak to that, but I can say that we have noticed that inflammation decreases with using the sauna, as well.

Earlier this year we added in time restricted eating, or intermittent fasting, and it has also increased our quality of life. We only consume calories between 7am and 3pm. I have a friend who does noon-8pm. Where the window falls, I don't think is terribly important, but the idea is to give your digestive system time off. Again, there is a lot of research that details the benefits of this kind of schedule and I don't want to bore you with it, you can Google it, but I do want to share that it really has changed our lives. For one, I struggled mightily with insomnia for many years and nothing could help. Now I'm cured! My wife sleeps better too. We eat basically anything during the eating window, though "smartly": making sure to get enough fruits and vegetables and protein. But if you think about how life has been for our ancestors, having food available 24/7 is really a new thing and not the way humans ate for millenia. Being able to pop open the fridge for a snack came along recently and it's led to some pretty bad outcomes.

Both practices have really helped us. If you are interested, check in to them and feel free to ask any questions. I would encourage you to make time for exercise, too, if possible. Culture has also become much more sedentary over the past 100 years but we aren't designed to be sedentary. We are God's temple and should care for it. We make time for the things that are important to us. The mind/body connection is powerful.

God bless!
One of the reasons I had to think of and why you might sleep better is because you most likely have been detoxing from heavy metals so the load in the body is less, and therefore less disturbances from EMF's. Heavy metals are the second biggest health threat to mankind I believe. I use my sauna for metal detoxing and to speed up healing when I have inflammation anywhere. I take TMG to help methylation due to MTHFR but people also use Niacin or B3. God bless. https://drlwilson.com/Articles/TOXIC METALS.htm

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
www.youtube.com
One of the reasons I had to think of and why you might sleep better is because you most likely have been detoxing from heavy metals so the load in the body is less, and therefore less disturbances from EMF's. Heavy metals are the second biggest health threat to mankind I believe. I use my sauna for metal detoxing and to speed up healing when I have inflammation anywhere. I take TMG to help methylation due to MTHFR but people also use Niacin or B3. God bless. https://drlwilson.com/Articles/TOXIC METALS.htm
Thank you very much brother. Jesus bless.