Interpreting the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus: It's Really Good News!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 3, 2019
We both know that the law is the torah. Not every thing in them is a law. The two texts I quoted were worded as principles. Jesus took both of those principles to the NT and there made them a NT law. This why I do not see them as you all do, brethern.
Bro, Moses plainly says God told him to teach us His commandments, and "ye shall love thy neighbor as thyself" in Leviticus 19:17 KJV is one such example of a commandment God told him to teach.

There is no getting around that with this talk of "principles" and "summations" and "combined themes" and whatever else, my friend :)

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
That's because it's not a parable. And yes, Jesus was giving us glimpse into what happens at the time of death for the unfaithful. The rich man and Lazarus reads nothing like a parable. The real names of Abraham, Moses, Lasarus and the literal place of punishment called Sheol in Hebrew and Hades in Greek is useds, which is the place of departed spirits for unbelievers.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Obviously its a parable as no one can talk to the unsaved in heaven and no one can talk to Abraham in hell.
That's because they were not in heaven. After the rich man died, it states that he was in hades. Since he could see Abraham and Lazarus and were separated by a huge chasm, then they obviously were in the same location. One side was a place of comfort and the other a place of torment in flame.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
You see, bro? That's why I know my position is correct. It never fails that the opposition is so flippin scared they might discover something that would force them to change their position, they stop their ears and sut their eyes. The reason I'm an annihilationist is because when I believed in Eternal Torment, I had the cojones to investigate the opposition's arguments.

WATCH THE VIDEO, please.
God's word does not teach annihilation. There are other scriptures that also teach eternal punishment and not just Lazarus and the rich man.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
That's because they were not in heaven. After the rich man died, it states that he was in hades. Since he could see Abraham and Lazarus and were separated by a huge chasm, then they obviously were in the same location. One side was a place of comfort and the other a place of torment in flame.
No name for the rich man b3cause it’s been blotted out. Depart from me…I never knew you.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
What gets me, is the silly argument that the Ten Commandments (Exo. 20:1-17), or even just the 4th commandment (Exo. 20:8-11) was only for "the Jews".

1. Moses wasn't a 'Jew', he was an Israelite, and of Levi.

2. Moses' wife, Zipporah, wasn't an Israelite at all, or a Jew, she was of Midian.

3. The "mixed multitude" that came out of Egypt, with many "strangers" weren't Hebrews, Israelites or Jews.

Etc.

If they use the same scales of balance in judgment for Deuteronomy 5 (repeating Exo. 20 by Moses), then Deuteronomy 6:5 (Love God, context, Deut 5 Ten Commandments) and Leviticus 19:17-18 (Love Neighbour) is also only for the Jews, and they might as well throw that out (which they do in practice) by their own standard, but they have unevenly weighted scales.

Again, who was Jesus talking to when He said Love God and Neighbor and what was He citing from in OT (written in the law)?

Same for Paul.

They don't think from beginning of their theology to it's logical progressive conclusion and self refuting ending. They do not reason cause to effect, but only live in the seemingly justifiable now, and present out of context text, and when exposed move to the next and then eventually circle back to their sandy a priori.
I am holding back the laughter because those of Israel are Jewish.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Does not say those two parts given to Israel --- the texts do not say those are commandments. Jesus combined those two principles to apply to the new testament, covenant.

Deuteronomy 6
Easy-to-Read Version
Always Love and Obey God
6 “These are the commands, the laws, and the rules that the Lord your God told me to teach you. Obey these laws in the land that you are entering to live in. 2 You and your descendants must respect the Lord your God as long as you live. You must obey all his laws and commands that I give you. If you do this, you will have a long life in that new land. 3 Israelites, listen carefully and obey these laws. Then everything will be fine with you. You will have many children, and you will get the land filled with many good things[a]—just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised.

4 “Listen, people of Israel! The Lord is our God. The Lord is the only God. 5 You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. 6 Always remember these commands that I give you today. 7 Be sure to teach them to your children. Talk about these commands when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road. Talk about them when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them on your hands and wear them on your foreheads to help you remember my teachings. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your houses and on your gates.

10 “The Lord your God made a promise to your ancestors, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He promised to give you this land, and he will give it to you. He will give you great and rich cities that you did not build. 11 He will give you houses full of good things that you did not put there. He will give you wells that you did not dig. He will give you vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant, and you will have plenty to eat.

12 “But be careful! Don’t forget the Lord. You were slaves in Egypt, but he brought you out of the land of Egypt.

Luke 10:27
The man answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ Also, ‘Love your neighbor the same as you love yourself.’”

Leviticus 19:18
Forget about the wrong things people do to you. Don’t try to get even. Love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Catechism For Jewish Children
By Isaac Leeser.​

Appendix I
The Ceremonial Law

1. What is the Ceremonial Law?
The duties which the law of God as revealed through Moses demands of us, the Israelites, in particular, as the professors of its religion.
2. Upon what is this Law founded?
Upon the history of the Mosaic Religion, and of the people of Israel before and since the promulgation of the Ten Commandments from Sinai.
3. What is the object of the ceremonies?
The constant observance of the ceremonies is intended to remind us perpetually of the events upon which they are founded, and to cause their being handed over to our children after us, to the latest generations.
"Remember his miracles that He hath done, his wonders and the Judgments of his mouth. O ye seed of Israel, his servants; the children of Jacob, his chosen people. He is the Lord our God; his judgments are in all the earth. Remember ye his covenant for ever; the word which He commanded to a thousand generations. Which He covenanted with Abraham, and likewise his oath unto Isaac. And he confirmed the same to Jacob for a statute, to Israel for an everlasting covenant." Ps. cv. 5-10.
4. Which are the principal events of which the Ceremonial Law is to remind us?
The following three:
First, The Exodus, or removal, of our forefathers from Egypt.
Second, The Divine Revelation, and the promulgation of the Law on Sinai.

Third, The destruction of the temple at Jerusalem, and of the kingdom of Israel.
5. What observances are to remind us of the Exodus?
First, The Sabbath day, regarded as the sign of the covenant of the manifestation of God's power in Egypt.
"And remember that thou were a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence, through a mighty hand, and by an outstretched arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the Sabbath day." Deut. v. 15.
Second, Several others of the festivals.

18. How is the Day of Atonement to be observed?
On the tenth day of the seventh month is the great day of humiliation and prayer before the Lord. During the whole of its continuance, from sunset of the ninth till after the stars have appeared on the tenth, we shall abstain from food and drink, and all earthly enjoyments; and perform no manner of labor, just as on the weekly Sabbath. We shall seriously think over our past conduct, and offer up to God a contrite spirit for our manifold transgressions; if we have offended our neighbor we should satisfy him, before we ask forgiveness of the Lord; and it is for such repentance that we are promised a remission of sin, and an atonement for our iniquities.
"And this shall be a statute for ever unto you, that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall fast, and do no work at all.--And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel, for all their sins, once a year." Lev. xvi. 29-34.
http://www.jewish-history.com/catechism/ceremonial.html

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
http://www.jewish-history.com/catechism/catech06.htm
Chapter VII.
The Ten Commandments
1. What are the Ten Commandments?
Those celebrated commandments which God the Lord communicated himself to the people of Israel on Mount Sinai,
without the intervention of a prophet; which means that the people heard them from God himself, and not from Moses, who received the other laws first from the Lord, and afterwards told them to the people.
"And the Lord spoke with you out of the midst of the fire; you heard the voice of words, but ye saw no similitude, only ye heard a voice. And He declared unto you his covenant, which He commanded you to perform, the Ten commandments, and He wrote them upon two tables of stone." Deut. 4:12, 13.
2. In what light would you regard these Ten Commandments?
The Ten Commandments are the everlasting fundamental principles of the divine law, and are to be observed during all times, and throughout every generation. We may call them the Divine Constitution, according to which the other statutes have been enacted; and every other commandment has reference to one of the other of them, whether it regards the worship of the Lord, or our intercourse with other men.
"The Lord our God made with us a covenant on Horeb. Not with our forefathers made the Lord this covenant, but with ourselves, who are here all alive this day. Face to face the Lord spoke with you on the mount, from the midst of the fire. I stood between the Lord and you at that time, to tell unto you the word of the Lord, for ye were afraid of the fire, and ye ascended not the mount." Ibid. 5:2-5.

33. What are the words of the FOURTH commandment?
"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy; six days thou shalt labor, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the Sabbath in honor of the Lord thy God: on it thou shalt not do any work, neither thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore, the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
34. What are we taught by this precept?
We should out of love and reverence to the Lord regard as holy that day which He has set apart as devoted to his service, and do nothing to profane it. God is the Master of our labor, the Possessor of our bodies, and, as such, He demands of us that we, his servants, should cease from labor one day in seven, and this on the last day of that period which He instituted as the week from the first creation of man upon the earth.
"Ye shall keep my Sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord." Lev. xxvi. 2.
"And say unto them, Hear ye the word of the Lord, ye kings of Judah, and all Judah, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, that enter in by these gates: Thus saith the Lord, Take heed to yourselves and carry no burden on the Sabbath day; nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the Sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers." Jer. 17: 20-22.
35. What is the meaning and object of the Sabbath?
The Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between us and our Creator
, by which we are to be sanctified, and acknowledge that we are sincerely convinced of our subjection to his will.
"And the Lord spoke unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep; for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that ye may know that I am the Lord who sanctify you.--And the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested." Exod. 31: 12-17.
36. How shall we sanctify the Sabbath?

We shall sanctify the Sabbath by abstaining from labor and business, and spend it in devotional exercises and contemplating the word and works of God.
"Ye shall keep the Sabbath, for it is holy unto you; every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death; for whosoever doth any work thereon, that soul shall be cut off from among his people." Exod. 31:14.

http://www.jewish-history.com/catechism/catech07.htm

It is clear that the Sabbath was only given to Isreal. We Gentiles were not slaves in Egypt.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Those of us who disagree with you Brother, friend believe in simply: Walking in The Spirit, Work by the Fruit of the Spirit, Be filled with the Holy Spirit, Grace Alone, and Living in God's Agape to others. I also, posted texts that shows if one follows this recipe, there is no need to worry about law keeping.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The big ten was given to Israel, not gentiles or Christians.

Exodus 20:2-3
Easy-to-Read Version
2 “I am the Lord your God. I am the one who freed you from the land of Egypt, where you were slaves.

3 “You must not worship any other gods except me.

Deuteronomy 5:6-7
Easy-to-Read Version
6 ‘I am the Lord your God. I am the one who freed you from Egypt, where you were slaves.

7 ‘You must not worship any other gods except me.[/QUOTE]

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Concerning the Gentiles, the Apostolic decision at council is in Acts 15. It is clear those not of Israel, non-Jewish are not under the law of Moses which includes the big ten and the Sabbath.

Acts 15
Easy-to-Read Version
The Meeting at Jerusalem
15 Then some men came to Antioch from Judea and began teaching the non-Jewish believers: “You cannot be saved if you are not circumcised as Moses taught us.” 2 Paul and Barnabas were against this teaching and argued with these men about it. So the group decided to send Paul, Barnabas, and some others to Jerusalem to talk more about this with the apostles and elders.

3 The church helped them get ready to leave on their trip. The men went through the countries of Phoenicia and Samaria, where they told all about how the non-Jewish people had turned to the true God. This made all the believers very happy. 4 When the men arrived in Jerusalem, the apostles, the elders, and the whole church welcomed them. Paul, Barnabas, and the others told about all that God had done with them. 5 Some of the believers in Jerusalem had belonged to the Pharisees. They stood up and said, “The non-Jewish believers must be circumcised. We must tell them to obey the Law of Moses!”

6 Then the apostles and the elders gathered to study this problem. 7 After a long debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “My brothers, I am sure you remember what happened in the early days. God chose me from among you to tell the Good News to those who are not Jewish. It was from me that they heard the Good News and believed. 8 God knows everyone, even their thoughts, and he accepted these non-Jewish people. He showed this to us by giving them the Holy Spirit the same as he did to us. 9 To God, those people are not different from us. When they believed, God made their hearts pure. 10 So now, why are you putting a heavy burden[a] around the necks of the non-Jewish followers of Jesus? Are you trying to make God angry? We and our fathers were not able to carry that burden. 11 No, we believe that we and these people will be saved the same way—by the grace of the Lord Jesus.”

12 Then the whole group became quiet. They listened while Paul and Barnabas told about all the miraculous signs and wonders that God had done through them among the non-Jewish people. 13 When they finished speaking, James said, “My brothers, listen to me. 14 Simon Peter has told us how God showed his love for the non-Jewish people. For the first time, God accepted them and made them his people. 15 The words of the prophets agree with this too:

16 ‘I will return after this.
I will build David’s house again.
It has fallen down.
I will build again the parts of his house that have been pulled down.
I will make his house new.
17 Then the rest of the world will look for the Lord God—
all those of other nations who are my people too.
The Lord said this.
And he is the one who does all these things.’

18 ‘All this has been known from the beginning of time.’

19 “So I think we should not make things hard for those who have turned to God from among the non-Jewish people. 20 Instead, we should send a letter telling them only the things they should not do:

Don’t eat food that has been given to idols. This makes the food unclean.

Don’t be involved in sexual sin.

Don’t eat meat from animals that have been strangled or any meat that still has the blood in it.

21 They should not do any of these things, because there are still men in every city who teach the Law of Moses. The words of Moses have been read in the synagogue every Sabbath day for many years.”

The Letter to the Non-Jewish Believers
22 The apostles, the elders, and the whole church wanted to send some men with Paul and Barnabas to Antioch. The group decided to choose some of their own men. They chose Judas (also called Barsabbas) and Silas, men who were respected by the believers. 23 The group sent the letter with these men. The letter said:

From the apostles and elders, your brothers,

To all the non-Jewish brothers in the city of Antioch and in the countries of Syria and Cilicia.

Dear Brothers:

24 We have heard that some men have come to you from our group. What they said troubled and upset you. But we did not tell them to do this. 25 We have all agreed to choose some men and send them to you. They will be with our dear friends, Barnabas and Paul. 26 Barnabas and Paul have given their lives to serve our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 So we have sent Judas and Silas with them. They will tell you the same things. 28 We agree with the Holy Spirit that you should have no more burdens, except for these necessary things:

29 Don’t eat food that has been given to idols.

Don’t eat meat from animals that have been strangled or any meat that still has the blood in it.

Don’t be involved in sexual sin.

If you stay away from these, you will do well.

We say goodbye now.

30 So Paul, Barnabas, Judas, and Silas left Jerusalem and went to Antioch. There they gathered the group of believers together and gave them the letter. 31 When the believers read it, they were happy. The letter comforted them. 32 Judas and Silas, who were also prophets, said many things to encourage the believers and make them stronger in their faith. 33 After Judas and Silas stayed there for a while, they left. They received a blessing of peace from the believers. Then they went back to those who had sent them. 34 [c]

35 But Paul and Barnabas stayed in Antioch. They and many others taught the believers and told other people the Good News about the Lord.[/QUOTE]

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The word Sabbath is not even used in Genesis. It was for "The Sabbath will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever.’” "

BIBLE SEARCH RESULTS
  1. Exodus 16:23
    Moses told them, “This is what the Lord said would happen. It happened because tomorrow is the Sabbath, the special day of rest to honor the Lord. You can cook all the food you need to cook for today, but save the rest of this food for tomorrow morning.”
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Exodus 16:25
    On Saturday, Moses told the people, “Today is the Sabbath, the special day of rest to honor the Lord. So none of you should be out in the fields. Eat the food you gathered yesterday.
  3. Exodus 16:29
    Look, the Lord has made the Sabbath a day of rest for you. So on Friday he will give you enough food for two days. Then, on the Sabbath, each of you should sit down and relax. Stay where you are.”
  4. Exodus 16:30
    So the people rested on the Sabbath.
  5. Exodus 20:8
    “You must remember to keep the Sabbath a special day.
  6. Exodus 20:11
    That is because the Lord worked six days and made the sky, the earth, the sea, and everything in them. And on the seventh day, he rested. In this way the Lord blessed the Sabbath—the day of rest. He made that a very special day.
  7. Exodus 31:12
    The Sabbath
    Then the Lord said to Moses,
  8. Exodus 31:14
    “‘Make the Sabbath a special day. If someone treats the Sabbath like any other day, that person must be killed. Whoever works on the Sabbath day must be separated from their people.
  9. Exodus 31:15
    There are six other days in the week for working. But the seventh day is a very special day of rest. That is the special day to honor the Lord. Anyone who works during the Sabbath must be killed.
  10. Exodus 31:16
    The Israelites must remember the Sabbath and make it a special day. They must continue to do this forever. It is an agreement between them and me that will continue forever.
  11. Exodus 31:17
    The Sabbath will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever.’” (The Lord worked six days and made the sky and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and relaxed.)
  12. Exodus 35:1
    Rules About the Sabbath
    Moses gathered all the Israelites together and said to them, “I will tell you what the Lord has commanded you to do:
  13. Exodus 35:3
    On the Sabbath you should not even light a fire in any of the places where you live.”
[/QUOTE]

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Matthew 25:46

Literal Standard Version
And these will go away into continuous punishment, but the righteous into continuous life.”

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And these will go into eternal torture, and the righteous into eternal life.”

Lamsa Bible
And these shall go into everlasting torment, and the righteous into eternal life.

There are scholars that claim that Jesus spoke Aramaic.

Amplified Bible
Then these [unbelieving people] will go away into eternal (unending) punishment, but those who are righteous and in right standing with God [will go, by His remarkable grace] into eternal (unending) life.”

Contemporary English Version
Then Jesus said, "Those people will be punished forever. But the ones who pleased God will have eternal life."

Early Modern
Geneva Bible of 1587
And these shall goe into euerlasting paine, and the righteous into life eternall.

Bishops' Bible of 1568
And these shall go into euerlastyng payne: the ryghteous into lyfe eternall.

Coverdale Bible of 1535
And these shal go in to euerlastinge payne, but the righteous in to euerlastinge life.

Tyndale Bible of 1526
And these shall go into everlastinge payne: And the righteous into lyfe eternall.[/QUOTE]

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
John146, are you saying Jesus is a goat? Please clairfly, thanks daniel

Problem: each time I visit, I need to recharge spell check. why is that?[/QUOTE]

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Bro, Moses plainly says God told him to teach us His commandments, and "ye shall love thy neighbor as thyself" in Leviticus 19:17 KJV is one such example of a commandment God told him to teach.

There is no getting around that with this talk of "principles" and "summations" and "combined themes" and whatever else, my friend :)
noun
plural noun: principles
a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
"the basic principles of Christianity"

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The text is speaking to Israel. The chapter has some reminders of a few laws that were given, but contains many principles like love your neighbor. Not everything written in the Torah is a Law. The Sabbath is a Cermorial Law given specifly to Israel, who are Jewish people --- includes Gentiles converted to Judaism. I know many Jewish Scholars and Rabbi's they all agree with my understandings.

Leviticus 19

19 The Lord told Moses 2 to say to the community of Israel, “Be holy, because I, the Lord your God, am holy. 3 Each of you must respect your mother and your father, and must keep the Sabbath, as I have commanded. I am the Lord your God.

4 “Do not abandon me and worship idols; do not make gods of metal and worship them. I am the Lord your God.

5 “When you kill an animal for a fellowship offering, keep the regulations that I have given you, and I will accept the offering. 6 The meat must be eaten on the day the animal is killed or on the next day. Any meat left on the third day must be burned, 7 because it is ritually unclean, and if anyone eats it, I will not accept the offering. 8 Any who eat it will be guilty of treating as ordinary what is dedicated to me, and they will no longer be considered my people.

9 “When you harvest your fields, do not cut the grain at the edges of the fields, and do not go back to cut the heads of grain that were left. 10 Do not go back through your vineyard to gather the grapes that were missed or to pick up the grapes that have fallen; leave them for poor people and foreigners. I am the Lord your God.

11 “Do not steal or cheat or lie. 12 Do not make a promise in my name if you do not intend to keep it; that brings disgrace on my name. I am the Lord your God.

13 “Do not rob or take advantage of anyone. Do not hold back the wages of someone you have hired, not even for one night. 14 Do not curse the deaf or put something in front of the blind so as to make them stumble over it. Obey me; I am the Lord your God.

15 “Be honest and just when you make decisions in legal cases; do not show favoritism to the poor or fear the rich. 16 Do not spread lies about anyone, and when someone is on trial for his life, speak out if your testimony can help him. I am the Lord.

17 “Do not bear a grudge against others, but settle your differences with them, so that you will not commit a sin because of them. 18 Do not take revenge on others or continue to hate them, but love your neighbors as you love yourself. I am the Lord.

19 “Obey my commands. Do not crossbreed domestic animals. Do not plant two kinds of seed in the same field. Do not wear clothes made of two kinds of material.

20 “If a slave woman is the recognized concubine of a man and she has not been paid for and freed, then if another man has sexual relations with her, they will be punished, but not put to death, since she is a slave. 21 The man shall bring a ram to the entrance of the Tent of my presence as his repayment offering, 22 and with it the priest shall perform the ritual of purification to remove the man's sin, and God will forgive him.

23 “When you come into the land of Canaan and plant any kind of fruit tree, consider the fruit ritually unclean for the first three years. During that time you must not eat it. 24 In the fourth year all the fruit shall be dedicated as an offering to show your gratitude to me,[c] the Lord. 25 But in the fifth year you may eat the fruit. If you do all this, your trees will bear more fruit. I am the Lord your God.

26 “Do not eat any meat with blood still in it. Do not practice any kind of magic. 27 Do not cut the hair on the sides of your head or trim your beard 28 or tattoo yourselves or cut gashes in your body to mourn for the dead. I am the Lord.

29 “Do not disgrace your daughters by making them temple prostitutes;[d] if you do, you will turn to other gods and the land will be full of immorality. 30 Keep the Sabbath, and honor the place where I am worshiped. I am the Lord.

31 “Do not go for advice to people who consult the spirits of the dead. If you do, you will be ritually unclean. I am the Lord your God.

32 “Show respect for old people and honor them. Reverently obey me; I am the Lord.

33 “Do not mistreat foreigners who are living in your land. 34 Treat them as you would an Israelite, and love them as you love yourselves.
Remember that you were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

35 “Do not cheat anyone by using false measures of length, weight, or quantity. 36 Use honest scales, honest weights, and honest measures. I am the Lord your God, and I brought you out of Egypt. 37 Obey all my laws and commands. I am the Lord.”