IRON SHARPENETH IRON

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

I think we need to look at other translations, unless you go to the Hebrew, or use the Greek in the LXX.

Priv. 27:17
As iron sharpens iron,
so a person sharpens his friend. NET

"As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another." NIV

"Iron sharpens iron,
and one man sharpens another." ESV

"17 Iron sharpens iron,
and one person sharpens another." CSB

"Eisen schärft Eisen;
ebenso schärft ein Mann den anderen." Schlacter

"Barzel (iron) sharpeneth barzel (iron); so one ish sharpeneth another." OJB

"Tout comme le fer aiguise le fer,
l’homme s’aiguise au contact de son prochain." Segond21

Not a single one if these versions mentions anything to do with a countenance or face. This is why I distrust the KJV. It literally doesn't translate things corrrctly.

Perhaps next time, instead of looking up words and coming up with a wrong explanation, cross reference with some modern versions, instead of getting all twisted trying to explain something that is not there!
Time to duck behind the wall and hide, as the wrath of the KJV onliers may be about to enter in..and take this thread where we do nto want it to go.

To me the all say the same thing, Sharpening a man’s countenance (the way he looks, the way he appears, the direction he goes) is sharpening him.

Yesterday is the first time I ever heard someone even suggest it meant anythign else.

P

pottersclay

I think we need to look at other translations, unless you go to the Hebrew, or use the Greek in the LXX.

As iron sharpens iron,

"As iron sharpens iron,

"Iron sharpens iron,

"17 Iron sharpens iron,

"Eisen schärft Eisen;

Not a single one if these versions mentions anything to do with a countenance or face. This is why I distrust the KJV. It literally doesn't translate things corrrctly.

Perhaps next time, instead of looking up words and coming up with a wrong explanation, cross reference with some modern versions, instead of getting all twisted trying to explain something that is not there!

Bob 45:51. As iron sharpens iron. Take a file to your friends face😃

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Yes...........but what it doesn't do is excuse the heated disputations that occur on Christian Web Sites. I used to think in did, but after reading about it, and researching it, I have learned that people been misusing this Verse for a loooooong time! IMO....... :)

Just delete these verses from atypical Christian attitudes, and views, especially concerning other believers'?

And, life would be such a "bowl of cherries!" Wouldn't it?

Matthew 7

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

2 Thessalonians 2

10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Romans 8

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Ah...YEAH!!! Life is GOOD now!! Isn't it? :p

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
But, but, I gave the "link" just gotta click on it to see the noun form.................. :)
Apologies... I was using my phone, which doesn't play nicely with off-site links.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

As iron sharpens iron,

"As iron sharpens iron,

"Iron sharpens iron,

"17 Iron sharpens iron,

"Eisen schärft Eisen;

Ok Sister...............guess I'll just throw my KJV in the fireplace and use it for kindling. I always though God was powerful enough to protect the Truth of His Word, but, I must be wrong.

:)

I wonder this...........when folks who disagree with what the KJV says........engage in the heated disputations here on CC, with all the name calling, belittling, berating, and what not............do they REALLY believe they are acting God-like? Do they REALLY believe they are displaying Christian love and harmony?

Lots of respect for you Sister, but I'm going with my KJV on this one, because in my heart of hearts, where the Holy Spirit speaks to me, I believe that this Scripture was never intended by God to justify people tearing down other people...........I believe, as it reads, that it was intended to motivate believers to edify other believers.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
(excerpt)

This is another indication from Scripture that, when we are in the companionship and the fellowship of others, we tend to shape each other. We rub off on each other

But in our Christian fellowship, we have the responsibility before God to work to rub off on each other for good. As long as we are conducting ourselves aright, it will rub off in the right way. In other words, all we have to do is work on ourselves. If we work on ourselves, then the projection of the self, the spirit that will go out from us, will be right, and it will have the right kind of impact.

(here)

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...ID/17187/RK=2/RS=5KEu_R7oq4.l6pH0Q2Ta1x35f7M-

(excerpt)

This intimates both the pleasure and the advantage of conversation. One man is nobody; nor will poring upon a book in a corner accomplish a man as the reading and studying of men will. Wise and profitable discourse sharpens men’s wits; and those that have ever so much knowledge may by conference have something added to them. It sharpens men’s looks, and, by cheering the spirits, puts a briskness and liveliness into the countenance, and gives a man such an air as shows he is pleased himself and makes him pleasing to those about him. Good men’s graces are sharpened by converse with those that are good, and bad men’s lusts and passions are sharpened by converse with those that are bad, as iron is sharpened by its like, especially by the file.

(here)

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr.../27.html/RK=2/RS=YvXkmqxqcTbkPcyck4gRSf3LSW8-

(excerpt Gill's Exposition)

Iron sharpeneth iron
A sword or knife made of iron is sharpened by it; so butchers sharpen their knives; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend;
by conversation with him; thus learned men sharpen one another's minds, and excite each other to learned studies; Christians sharpen one another's graces, or stir up each other to the exercise of them, and the gifts which are bestowed on them, and to love and to good works. So Jarchi and Gersom understand it of the sharpening of men's minds to the learning of doctrine; but Aben Ezra, takes it in an ill sense, that as iron strikes iron and sharpens it, so a wrathful man irritates and provokes wrath in another. Some render the words, "as iron delighteth in iron, so a man rejoiceth the countenance of his friend", F9: by his company and conversation.

(here)

Proverbs 27:17 Commentary - John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

(just saying)

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
Great testimony. When you debate with your Father, do the two of you call each other names, belittle, berate, and demean each other? Do you accuse each other of various things like not being saved, or place some "label" on each other? Just wondering.............

Or, do you discuss Scripture in a loving, Christian manner with respect and common courtesy for each other?
We will call each other an idiot… lol... But never without respect... NEVER NOT BEING SAVED!! Always with love... but granted with grace for personalities... We always end with I will pray about that if we do not come to agreement... and we do pray...

He is my bestest friend... really because of our debates… We joke, we poke fun... because we get each other; I don't think you can do that so much on line. Everything seams personal n here... we just don't get each others personalities... in my opinion...

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
We will call each other an idiot… lol... But never without respect... NEVER NOT BEING SAVED!! Always with love... but granted with grace for personalities... We always end with I will pray about that if we do not come to agreement... and we do pray...

He is my bestest friend... really because of our debates… We joke, we poke fun... because we get each other; I don't think you can do that so much on line. Everything seams personal n here... we just don't get each others personalities... in my opinion...
It's the fault of the medium of communication.........Hard to actually interact with another individual when all you see is typed words on a screen. No voice inflections, no facial expressions, or any such.......

I am happy for you that you have such a relationship with your father.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
As for the OP.............to be perfectly clear, I am just as guilty as any other here (and, maybe more than most) in using that Scripture to justify entering into battle with another Member. When disagreements occur, it is very easy to draw one's sword, and let lose the dogs of war..........as they say....... So, this is as much for me as any other here.

When I began to really think about it, and looked into it, I realized that I was abusing the meaning of that Scripture. Now, there isn't anything wrong with debate. Respectful, polite, Christ centered debate does serve to edify...........and that really is what we should strive for.

However, we all know that sometimes the debates turn into something far different, and far less Christian in nature........and that is something none of us should strive for. Excusing it with "Iron sharpeneth iron" is not only Biblical, it is a really poor way of abusing Scripture..............Yup, guilty. Done it myself a time or two, or many more.

Even when considering all the various Translations, and the original Texts, there isn't one yet that justifies the kind of heated disputations that occur here from time to time.

Just saying............

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
It's the fault of the medium of communication.........Hard to actually interact with another individual when all you see is typed words on a screen. No voice inflections, no facial expressions, or any such.......

I am happy for you that you have such a relationship with your father.
Thank you. I could not agree more. That is why I put an lol... after things.... Or many times I ask questions.... I'm sure I do not get "it" right... In fact I know I don't … my thumbs down could choke a horse...lol... but "it" is different online and takes a lot of grace… receiving and giving... and some people are just mean on-line when they would never be face-to-face.

But do not ever let anyone discourage you... You are here for a reason… I have read many of your post and they are a Word in Season.... I think you have apposed me too... See it's all LOVE IN THE LORD!!!!

On line is about knowing the Word and tough skin …. everything else falls into place!!!