Is accepting Christ enough to be saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2021
India
Timothy 6:

"6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
6:7 For we brought nothing into this world: and certainly we can carry nothing out.
6:8 But having food and wherewith to be covered, with these we are content.
6:9 For they that will become rich fall into temptation and into the snare of the devil and into many unprofitable and hurtful desires, which drown men into destruction and perdition.
6:10 For the greed for money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith and have entangled themselves in many sorrows.
6:11 But thou, O man of God, fly these things: and pursue justice, godliness, faith, charity, patience, mildness.
6:12 Fight the good fight of faith. Lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art called and be it confessed a good confession before many witnesses.
6:13 I charge thee before God who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus who gave testimony under Pontius Pilate, a good confession:
6:14 That thou keep the commandment without spot, blameless, unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ,
6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the Blessed and only Mighty, the King of kings and Lord of lords:
6:16 Who only hath immortality and inhabiteth light inaccessible: whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and empire everlasting. Amen.
6:17 Charge the rich of this world not to be highminded nor to trust in the uncertainty of riches, but in the living God (who giveth us abundantly all things to enjoy)

6:18 To do good, to be rich in good work, to give easily, to communicate to others,
6:19 To lay up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on the true life."

Nov 23, 2021
The work of God is to believe on Him whom God has sent. Ergo. The work of God is to believe on Him whom God has sent. Abide in Me, ergo believing into a covenant relationship with the creator. The imputation of righteousness came when faith came. Reconciliation occurred for you for me. I changed at the moment reconciliation occurred I no longer lived without the knowledge of God nor could I . The Holy Spirit convinced me of sin righteousness and judgement , I understood the payment made, and the resurrection. Jesus was alive and I knew it . I needed to find the living Christ. So off I went. No works were done , just believing.

Jun 20, 2022
Hellfire and brimestone teaching have their place. One place it does not have is in a church of true believers.

We had a pastor who did nothing but hellfire and brimstone for two years. He lost half of his congregation. Because all they did was get judged every sunsay as if they were unsaved. And there was no edification and way for them to grow.
Fire and Brimstone is just plain preaching the Gospel of Christ. even Jesus said His Words are not for everyone but those truly seeking righteousness. if people felt judged they probably had much to hide. these are the LAST DAYS! social gatherings have no place in the Church and that's what most church services have become. THAT AIN'T GONNA GET YOU THE TRUTH AND GUIDE YOU TO HEAVEN!

Jun 20, 2022
when i see a Fire and Brimstone preacher, i am reminded of ONE THING:

he ain't there for the MONEY!
he's there to WIN SOULS!

throw the offering plates away and let's get down to brass tax!

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
You are right!

1 John 1 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

However after we sin we ask for forgiveness right away, being contrite, never wanting to sin again.

Sin should be very rare in the life of a Christian that really loves God because they are drawn to Him and want to obey Him.
Thats right, but no Christian is able to walk sinless through the life on earth.
So accepting Christ is enough to be saved. If accepting Christ includes to be born again. (What according my understanding belongs together.)

Jun 5, 2020
Fire and Brimstone is just plain preaching the Gospel of Christ. even Jesus said His Words are not for everyone but those truly seeking righteousness. if people felt judged they probably had much to hide. these are the LAST DAYS! social gatherings have no place in the Church and that's what most church services have become. THAT AIN'T GONNA GET YOU THE TRUTH AND GUIDE YOU TO HEAVEN!
Jesus did not preach "fire and brimstone". He taught that those who believe in Him have their sins forgiven and will have eternal life. He aslo taught that we should love one another, something you might try.

If you think that social gatherings have no place in the church, then what do you call a church service? It is a social gathering -- for people to sing, worship, pray, eat, and socialize. And who are you to judge the church? If most church services are not to your liking, I have a suggestion -- don't attend those churches.

Jun 5, 2020
when i see a Fire and Brimstone preacher, i am reminded of ONE THING:

he ain't there for the MONEY!
he's there to WIN SOULS!

throw the offering plates away and let's get down to brass tax!
"Brass tax"? You meant "brass tacks", correct? (or was that "Freudian slip? see below)

If you throw the offering plates away, how is the church going to pay the pastor, staff, and their bills?

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I believe it is enough and example is the thief on the cross. He had no time to prove he was a believer and his life before had been bad. He believed Jesus and asked to be remembered in His kingdom and Jesus accepted him and that thief was saved.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Satan has full knowledge of God and Jesus but I don't believe that satan believes in Jesus otherwise he would be saved too and never have gotten so prideful and started on the path he chose. So satan knows all about God and Jesus but does not believe in them.

Jun 20, 2022
Jesus did not preach "fire and brimstone". He taught that those who believe in Him have their sins forgiven and will have eternal life. He aslo taught that we should love one another, something you might try.

If you think that social gatherings have no place in the church, then what do you call a church service? It is a social gathering -- for people to sing, worship, pray, eat, and socialize. And who are you to judge the church? If most church services are not to your liking, I have a suggestion -- don't attend those churches.
that's what fire ad brimstone is. you see, my version of fire and brimstone is not you need to ride the altar, which does not hurt, but that you need Jesus Christ. and you preach it with a fervent emphasis and purpose because there's no other message more important than Jesus Christ and Him Crucified and Risen.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Repent, believe, and His grace will save you. Continue in this all your life doing all he says to do!
In other words, keep YOURSELF from falling.

Not what the Lord's half blood brother says however:

Glory to God
24 Now to HIM who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

Jun 20, 2022
"Brass tax"? You meant "brass tacks", correct? (or was that "Freudian slip? see below)

If you throw the offering plates away, how is the church going to pay the pastor, staff, and their bills?
doesn't God provide if your Calling is true?

people will give if they make a purpose.

Nov 26, 2021
India
Also, if we study the Scriptures, we see God is more pleased with some believers than with others. Job, who so loved God that he always offered offerings and sacrifices to Him, for his children, is one example, who gave much to the poor etc. is one example. Were there not other believers on earth at the time? Surely, there were. Yet God was more pleased with Job than with them.

Job 1:

Prologue

1In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2He had seven sons and three daughters, 3and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East ... 5When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.

8Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

Every Christian should strive to be the be the one of whom God says "Have you considered my servant X? There is no on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil".

God Bless.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
sadly, what many experience in the modern church is an emotional experience, caught up in the moment type thing instead of a real faith and touch by the Sprit.

and many do not follow up it with anything...
I wouldn't say the issue is an emotional experience.
Many people have an emotional experience and profess a new faith in Jesus.

For me the issue is following up with those who do.

The church seems to lack the following up and discipling them.
Furthermore the church adds a heavy burden on people.
Do this, don't do this etc. Judgment is made.

Goodness knows how many people I have spoken to who stopped going to church because of the holier than thou attitude and they and felt judged and useless.

I even know of one person who when asked to be baptised was told by his youth pastor when he did something wrong "Now you know why I don't want to baptise you"

Yes that was said to me.
Talk about feeling like a second class citizen.

The church is very good a shooting it's wounded.
No wonder people don't want any part of it.

The Bible clearly states

Romans 10:8-13
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

John 13:34-35
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Exactly, so why are you adding works?
Works flow from faith. James: No works, no faith. Works follow from faith. So yes you are right saved by faith. But no if you have no works, you don't have faith and you will be condemned in the judgement. Simple!

Let say, again and again for myself, not anyone else (now hypocrisy too!)

I am a wreck without His grace. If you put me under a microscope....no maybe naked eye, lots of beams!, both you and I wouldn't like what you see. I hope to do more good work for the One I love, I hope to be developed by Him and become a Holy person, one that HE approves. I hear the words (paraphrased) (....and the publican went home justified). So easy for me to be a pharasee.

When I am so melted by His grace by the love of Him that I know I am nothing and He is everything...I have the right attitude then.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
None of that is expressed in the quoted words of Christ. And none of that was found in that thief who was invited to Paradise. So once again, what exactly did Jesus say?
Jesus said this and it’s why he says hearing his word is life

“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭13:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and he said this to make the distinction between obedience and rebellion to his word

“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: he is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:46-49‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We can’t keep sinning and pretend Jesus didn’t say anything about it that is to disbelieve what he said

“Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:3-7, 9-10‬ ‭KJV‬

again the difference is whether one repents and starts following him that’s where real belief leads.

If we insist on remaining in rebellion we have this ahead

“and to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:7-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the first step in salvation is to acknolwedge the truths of Christ and his word we can’t keep sinning he made this really clear the thing that keeps us sinning is us refusing to acknowledge Christ has made freedom available and can teach us righteousness and give it freely if we believe him

as long as we continually refuse to accept the doctrine of Christ it leaves us here in the group we don’t want to be in

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.”
‭‭2 John‬ ‭1:9‬ ‭

in other words John is witnessing what Jesus said

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:21, 23-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the word of God is what it is he’s always and forever going to direct mankind to repent of sin and hear his word and believe he’s never going to say “ now it’s alright to sin and you don’t need to hear and obey me “

the gospel is calling us to a better place and design it’s meant to create overcomes who can stand up

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Yes. Jesus NEVER knew them. It is NOT like they were born again, did, or didn't do something they were supposed to do and were then lost.

THEY WERE NEVER BORN AGAIN TO BEGIN WITH!

What they DID have, and what they DID rely on, was their WORKS. Things that WE would think were good things.
Yes, concur:

1) The LORD Jesus Christ has "Always Known those that Are His Own."
(2 Timothy 2:19; Ephesians 1:4-6)

2) The LORD "Never Knew those that Are Not His Own." (Mat 7:21-23)

Thus the doctrine of "saved, and then lost" does NOT Exist!

3) Even UNbelievers "works we consider good, are sins" In God's Sight!
(Proverbs 21:4)

GRACE And Peace...

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
Exactly, so why are you adding works?
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also” (James 2:26). Faith without works is a dead faith because the lack of works reveals an unchanged life or a spiritually dead heart.

Jun 20, 2022

another thought to add here.

i've been to about every type of church service in every denomination and seen the emphasis about giving financially.

are you sure that pastor is really called by God?

when God Calls you, He provides for you. you don't have to become a used car salesman to get money. money finds its way to you.

i really think of all the preachers in America, only 30% are truly called.

favortism and being liked popularly [[((are not))]] the requirements God is looking for.
those requirements benefit the scam artist!