Is Acts 2.38 the plan of salvation ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The Jewish audience is INCIDENTAL.

That statement applies to all mankind. Furthermore, the Gospel was designed to go to the Jews FIRST, and then to the Gentiles. And the Church (the Body of Christ) consists of both Jews and Gentiles, while at the same time all ethnic distinctions are abolished within Christ.

As Paul -- the apostle to the Gentiles -- said in Acts 20:21, repentance toward God and faith toward are Lord Jesus Christ were the core of his Gospel preaching.
its not until Acts 11 where Peter understands the Jew / Gentile situation.

Jan 12, 2019
Truth and falsehood really depends on which church you attend and who taught you Christian doctrine.

Since Charismatic churches are on the rise these days, fueled by the popular music from Bethel, Hillsong and Elevation for example, such doctrine is very much the norm in many of them.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
A lot of Christians and denomination s believe that Acts 2.38 is the plan or order of salvation. Or at least it is used to support a variation of .
Why is this the case given the context in a 'transitional ' book with 28 chapters ?
The early Church not only taught repentance unto salvation (by faith in the Risen Lord Jesus and His shed blood), they also taught baptism in water and baptism in the Holy Spirit, subsequent to salvation...

This was what ALL new converts in the early Church experienced, today, the vast amount of Church leave out baptism in water and baptism in the Holy Spirit, which is folly.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The early Church not only taught repentance unto salvation (by faith in the Risen Lord Jesus and His shed blood), they also taught baptism in water and baptism in the Holy Spirit, subsequent to salvation...

This was what ALL new converts in the early Church experienced, today, the vast amount of Church leave out baptism in water and baptism in the Holy Spirit, which is folly.
1 cor 15
1¶Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3¶For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

eph 1
13¶In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Rom 10
8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14¶How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Now I don't say 'don't baptise people ' because we should .
But look at the explanation of how we appropriate salvation and how the Gospel is defined and described.
Notice The order in Eph 1 .13
The definition in 1cor 15 andhow we appropriate in Romans 10 ,9
Just like in Johns Gospel , Acts ,Romans Galations , and many other books and letters the focus is 'believe ' . Through faith , by Faith , trust ect . Water has nothing to do with salvation nor does anything else than ' believe '.

E

eternally-gratefull

Let’s look at acts 2:38 from the greek

repent - a command given to everyone who was there, to change their thinking about Jesus and God plan for salvation

do this, and in faith you will recieve the gift Holy Spirit (Salvation)

then let every one you you (spoken to individuals who had obeyed his first command and come to faith) be baptized in the name of Jesus BECAUSE you have recieved remission of sin.

and we have to look at vs 41 to prove adding the word faith is not adding to the word

41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them

they were baptized because they were saved, not to get saved,

Jan 12, 2019

Have you wondered why water baptism was only required for every Jew after Jesus was born?

Why weren't they required to be water baptized, except for the Levites, during the OT time period?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

repent - a command given to everyone who was there, to change their thinking about Jesus and God plan for salvation

then let every one you you (spoken to individuals who had obeyed his first command and come to faith) be baptized in the name of Jesus BECAUSE you have recieved remission of sin.
Amen! As Greek scholar AT Robertson stated: Change of number from plural to singular and of person from second to third. This change marks a break in the thought here that the English translation does not preserve. The first thing to do is make a radical and complete change of heart and life. Then let each one be baptized after this change has taken place, and the act of baptism be performed “in the name of Jesus Christ” (εν τωι ονοματι Ιησου Χριστου — en tōi onomati Iēsou Christou). So I understand Peter to be urging baptism on each of them who had already turned (repented) and for it to be done in the name of Jesus Christ on the basis of the forgiveness of sins which they had already received.”

and we have to look at vs 41 to prove adding the word faith is not adding to the word
Amen! When only repentance is mentioned in connection with salvation, faith is implied or assumed. When only faith is mentioned in connection with salvation, repentance is implied or assumed. Where you have one you must have the other. If we truly repented, then we have placed our faith in Christ for salvation. If we have faith in Christ for salvation, then we already repented in the process of changing our mind and choosing to place our faith in Christ for salvation. Two sides to the same coin.

41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them
they were baptized because they were saved, not to get saved.
Amen! Those who gladly received his word (through repentance/faith) were "afterwards" baptized.. In Acts 4:4, we read - However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. In Acts 5:14, we read - And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women.

E

eternally-gratefull

Amen! As Greek scholar AT Robertson stated: Change of number from plural to singular and of person from second to third. This change marks a break in the thought here that the English translation does not preserve. The first thing to do is make a radical and complete change of heart and life. Then let each one be baptized after this change has taken place, and the act of baptism be performed “in the name of Jesus Christ” (εν τωι ονοματι Ιησου Χριστου — en tōi onomati Iēsou Christou). So I understand Peter to be urging baptism on each of them who had already turned (repented) and for it to be done in the name of Jesus Christ on the basis of the forgiveness of sins which they had already received.”

Amen! When only repentance is mentioned in connection with salvation, faith is implied or assumed. When only faith is mentioned in connection with salvation, repentance is implied or assumed. Where you have one you must have the other. If we truly repented, then we have placed our faith in Christ for salvation. If we have faith in Christ for salvation, then we already repented in the process of changing our mind and choosing to place our faith in Christ for salvation. Two sides to the same coin.

Amen! Those who gladly received his word (through repentance/faith) were "afterwards" baptized.. In Acts 4:4, we read - However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. In Acts 5:14, we read - And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women.
Amen it’s so sad how many get it wrong

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

they were baptized because they were saved, not to get saved,
So is it the case that certain Pentecostal churches are taking Acts 2.38 too literal ? like David Pawson who argues that ' repent, believe , baptise , recieve as the ' normal Christian birth .

Jan 12, 2019
So is it the case that certain Pentecostal churches are taking Acts 2.38 too literal ? like David Pawson who argues that ' repent, believe , baptise , recieve as the ' normal Christian birth .
One's understanding of Acts 2:38 is very much tied to how one understands Mark 16:16.

E

eternally-gratefull

Not just them it started with the Roman church in the third century

Mar 28, 2016
Acts2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Its not just a good suggestion for something to wonder about causing doubt . But the very power of God in us to believe the unseen things of God.

The word of God is alive, it abide in us giving us a living hope of faith the unseen will .

I would offer it must be looked at from a proper perspective. As the living powerful words or loving commandments that work in us and not Peter the sent one he has nothing to do with our new faith. .

Repenting is a work of God .It commanded they believe God through the washing and renewing of His holy name . It is one reference to the gospel .there are many calls to salvation.

One I think makes a good example world be of doubting wondering, faithless Thomas his call to repentance. and as evidence he heard the call he is given the faith to recognize where the words came from . Thomas under the influence of the Holy Spirit confess with his mouth the words God laid upon his new born again heart Peter under the inspiration of God confesses. . "My Lord and my God".
The same father that worked in the apostle Jesus . Some say he was teaching Thomas how to walk by sight after the flesh as that seen the temporal, and not by the faith of the eternal one.

John 20:26-28 King James Version (KJV) And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

The answer of faith. The golden measure. His working in us .It must increase as we decrease. . . making our burden lighter.

Dec 9, 2011
What do you make of Acts 3.19 .
Again Jewish audience ( Israel )
19Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Are our sins blotted out later ,when the times of refreshing come ?
If by the word ”later” you mean after repenting then the answer would be yes.Salvation first then the fruit of the changed person shows.Inward to outward NOT outward to Inward.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
If by the word ”later” you mean after repenting then the answer would be yes.Salvation first then the fruit of the changed person shows.Inward to outward NOT outward to Inward.
No its saying to the hearers ( Israel ) Their sins blotted in the presence of the Lord . Thats a future thing for ISRAEL

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
A lot of Christians and denomination s believe that Acts 2.38 is the plan or order of salvation. Or at least it is used to support a variation of .
Why is this the case given the context in a 'transitional ' book with 28 chapters ?
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Repent, and baptized. In the name of Father Son and Holy Spirit.
than save.

People that been baptized with water may not change, but

People that been baptized with Father, Son and Holy Spirit, will bear the fruit of the Spirit. Because Holy Spirit in Him produce love.

Jesus is love, when Jesus in us we will bear love.
Love will manifest in the form of helping the poor, not rob the bank or envy or murder.

Love God mean obey or do His will

Matt 7
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Why Jesus not say only who that have faith will go to heaven?
Is this work salvation?

Faith salvation bear obey or loving work

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Well if we look at this the day Peter said it by the sweet holy Spirit.. good enough for me. Now add in all the denominations ma.. Salvation can be all over the place. So if someone only heard this one verse and did what Peter said.. SAVED!

In todays world the 12 would ALL be bad because of Judas. Pentecostal, charismatic, Word of faith, some music groups etc. See not just this or that person..no its the whole group. Always someone else huh thats in error.

"A lot of Christians and denomination s believe that Acts 2.38 is the plan or order of salvation. " I know abunch of Christians and those in other denominations and have no clue as to "who" the op is talking about. Oh I know this verse but.. never heard of it the way the op says it. When you say "plan of salvation".. I don't anyone that says this..

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Well if we look at this the day Peter said it by the sweet holy Spirit.. good enough for me. Now add in all the denominations ma.. Salvation can be all over the place. So if someone only heard this one verse and did what Peter said.. SAVED!

In todays world the 12 would ALL be bad because of Judas. Pentecostal, charismatic, Word of faith, some music groups etc. See not just this or that person..no its the whole group. Always someone else huh thats in error.

"A lot of Christians and denomination s believe that Acts 2.38 is the plan or order of salvation. " I know abunch of Christians and those in other denominations and have no clue as to "who" the op is talking about. Oh I know this verse but.. never heard of it the way the op says it. When you say "plan of salvation".. I don't anyone that says this..
David Pawson would be one who taught this . Most pentacost churches teach Acts 2.38 as the order of salvation.

E

eternally-gratefull

Anyone who says the plan of salvation is to repent, and then get baptized in water, only then are you saved (and even then that salvation is not assured, no guarantee of eternal life)

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
What does one need to believe about Jesus, in John 3:16, in order to have eternal life?

If its unclear, than John 3:16 cannot be where "the core plan is found"
That he is the only begotten Son of God given by God for the purpose of redeeming all men from their death in sin. This statement in John 3:16 came after Jesus had begun to preach His Gospel, thus, believing "in Him" that He was/is who He said He was/is encompasses Gods Salvation Plan.

Believing in Jesus is a lifetime commitment. Jesus is the only way to eternal life, and believing in Jesus is the only way to receive the reward of eternal life. All other Scriptures are important to establish Jesus the Christ, and for various other purposes, but Gods Salvation Plan is clearly stated in John 3:16; as I believe in Him, I believe this.