Is Acts 2.38 the plan of salvation ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 22, 2020
Have you wondered why water baptism was only required for every Jew after Jesus was born?

Why weren't they required to be water baptized, except for the Levites, during the OT time period?

I do not wonder of God's plan...I marvel at it...over and over again!!!

Jan 12, 2019

I do not wonder of God's plan...I marvel at it...over and over again!!!
You should listen to your apostle Paul when he advised Timothy to

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Acts does lay out the process or order that was used to bring the gospel to the different groups. Notice Acts 1:8 tells us that the Apostles will be his witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.

Acts 2 Jerusalem
Acts 8 Samaria
Acts 10 gentiles

Acts 8 illustrates that the Apostles had to be the ones who introduced each group to the gospel as Acts 1:8 says.
Acts does lay out the process or order that was used to bring the gospel to the different groups. Notice Acts 1:8 tells us that the Apostles will be his witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.

Acts 2 Jerusalem
Acts 8 Samaria
Acts 10 gentiles

Acts 8 illustrates that the Apostles had to be the ones who introduced each group to the gospel as Acts 1:8 says.

Acts 2 Jerusalem
Acts 8 Samaria
Acts 10 gentiles

But its not until Acts 11 do they understand. Just like when Jesus tells them plainly the Gospel as per 1 cor 15 ,1-4 But they don't Understand him .

31¶Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
32For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
33And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
34¶And they understood none of these things : and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.
luke 18 .
Its not until mathew 27 do they understand . They are preaching a good news before this ,but its not the death ,burial and resurrection. And when they do finally understand AFTER his death ,its still ' To the jews '

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Acts 2 Jerusalem
Acts 8 Samaria
Acts 10 gentiles

Yes the dispersion of Jews .

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
Maybe . I guess if that's what is meant then ok . Prob best to avoid the term ' reward '. Rom 4.4
Now to him that works is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

And I agree Faith / believe/ trust is not a work .
God rewarding His children is a real part of Scripture. Why would anyone avoid this?

But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven
Matthew 6:1

Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart Psalms 37:4

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

For God [is] not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. Hebrews 6:10

These are a few Scriptures showing that God truly rewards His children. All good gifts are from above/from God!

JBTN

Feb 11, 2020
And yet Peter ( before he even understands the inclusion of the gentiles ( not until acts 11,some time later) Clearly on the Day of pentacost is talking to Israel . The order given is the following on from John the baptist . Thats what they must ' do ' . Notice the contrast in Acts 8 and acts 16.30 . Then notice in the very books that teach on how we appropriate salvation and we will read the ' normative 'appropriation of salvation. Rom 10.9 . 1 cor 15 .1-4 . Eph 1 .13 -14 .
Deciding from the book of Acts how we are saved today is the worst thing a believer can do with the scriptures. Its a TRANSITIONAL account of the ACTS OF THE APOSTLES not a go to book for soteriology.
If you see Acts 2:38 the way I laid it out in the response you quoted it agrees exactly with Acts 16:30-31, Romans 10:9-10, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and Ephesians 1:13-14. I know it differs from conventional interpretations, but if you simply look up the greek words it is what you end up with.

E

eternally-gratefull

God rewarding His children is a real part of Scripture. Why would anyone avoid this?

But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven
Matthew 6:1

Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart Psalms 37:4

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

For God [is] not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. Hebrews 6:10

These are a few Scriptures showing that God truly rewards His children. All good gifts are from above/from God!
You earn a reward. You are given feeely grace

god gives many rewards

but salvation is by grace,

E

eternally-gratefull

I agree that eis means into.

If you look up the other words you end up with something like this:

Change your mind and be immersed on the authority of Jesus Christ into forgiveness of sins.

The immersion here is into forgiveness of sins, not water.

The phrase “into forgiveness of sins“ can be found in Luke 24:47 and Matthew 26:27-29. The Greek words are the same in all 3 places.

In Luke 24:47 we see Jesus say “a change of mind into forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations.” No immersion or baptism is mentioned here. This is significant when you think about the greater context around this verse. Luke 24:44-49.

In Matthew we see the same Greek phrase again. “for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many into the forgiveness of sins.”

Jesus’ blood was poured out into forgiveness of sins. So, in Acts 2:38 when we are immersed into forgiveness of sins we are also immersed into his blood.
Just to let you know, into is not the only defenition of dis

it’s a mistake to assume it means that we recieve remission if sin because we are baptised.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
If you see Acts 2:38 the way I laid it out in the response you quoted it agrees exactly with Acts 16:30-31, Romans 10:9-10, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and Ephesians 1:13-14. I know it differs from conventional interpretations, but if you simply look up the greek words it is what you end up with.
Ahh the greek . Why has no one translated it the way some say ?

JBTN

Feb 11, 2020
Just to let you know, into is not the only defenition of dis

it’s a mistake to assume it means that we recieve remission if sin because we are baptised.
I think you may be misunderstanding what I am trying to show. If we are immersed into forgiveness of sins, then the immersion is not into water. I am trying to show that if you see Acts 2:38 the way I laid it out, it totally agrees with Luke 24:47. Luke 24:47 uses the same greek phrases, but baptism is not mentioned.

Luke 24:47 ESV

and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

The phrase for in for the forgiveness of sins is eis, just like in Acts 2:38.

If you read the whole passage from verse 44-49 you see that Jesus said this was written in prophecy.

A change of mind into forgiveness of sins was to be proclaimed on His authority to all the nations. Not Baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

E

eternally-gratefull

I think you may be misunderstanding what I am trying to show. If we are immersed into forgiveness of sins, then the immersion is not into water. I am trying to show that if you see Acts 2:38 the way I laid it out, it totally agrees with Luke 24:47. Luke 24:47 uses the same greek phrases, but baptism is not mentioned.

Luke 24:47 ESV

and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

The phrase for in for the forgiveness of sins is eis, just like in Acts 2:38.

If you read the whole passage from verse 44-49 you see that Jesus said this was written in prophecy.

A change of mind into forgiveness of sins was to be proclaimed on His authority to all the nations. Not Baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
Yeah i see

I am just showing that eus can be ysed
Many ways

Be baptized unto (on the account of) remission if sin Ie because you have recieved remission of Sin be baptized

CS1

May 23, 2012
A lot of Christians and denomination s believe that Acts 2.38 is the plan or order of salvation. Or at least it is used to support a variation of .
Why is this the case given the context in a 'transitional ' book with 28 chapters ?
the Elitcing of Acts 2:38 to fit a doctrine of some have missed to very key point.

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. "

before Peter ever said this in verse 38. He said :

21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
and after verse 38
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Jesus said to repent Peter said to and so did Paul.

salvation is repenting , surrendering , and receiving Acts 2:38 captures this, but starts all

with the preaching of thw Gospel of Jesus Christ which Peter did before he ever said Acts 3:38 it was Peter's words under the Holy Spirit that cause the heart of those hearing to be pricked.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

IF Peter never preached to them the death burial and resurrection before Acts 2:38 would not have been said.
it is the gospel message that convicts the heart of man. the Holy Spirit then prepares them to receive the Lord

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
the Elitcing of Acts 2:38 to fit a doctrine of some have missed to very key point.

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. "

before Peter ever said this in verse 38. He said :

21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
and after verse 38
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Jesus said to repent Peter said to and so did Paul.

salvation is repenting , surrendering , and receiving Acts 2:38 captures this, but starts all

with the preaching of thw Gospel of Jesus Christ which Peter did before he ever said Acts 3:38 it was Peter's words under the Holy Spirit that cause the heart of those hearing to be pricked.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

IF Peter never preached to them the death burial and resurrection before Acts 2:38 would not have been said.
it is the gospel message that convicts the heart of man. the Holy Spirit then prepares them to receive the Lord
Surrendering?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Hmm. Did the tax collector surrender when he got On his knees. Or did he just cry out in pain and desperation?
I here a lot of " you need to surrender all , repent of all your sins ; promise to obey and make Jesus Lord of all .. to BE saved " . Which is found no where in Romans 10.9 ,10. 1 cor 15 ,1-4 or anywhere else that describes how we appropriate salvation in the epistles.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Hmm. Did the tax collector surrender when he got On his knees. Or did he just cry out in pain and desperation?
There is no mention of believing , repentance, babtism , surrendering all , making Jesus Lord of your pocket book there with the tax collector ? But it is not about salvation after the cross either .

E

eternally-gratefull

I here a lot of " you need to surrender all , repent of all your sins ; promise to obey and make Jesus Lord of all .. to BE saved " . Which is found no where in Romans 10.9 ,10. 1 cor 15 ,1-4 or anywhere else that describes how we appropriate salvation in the epistles.
A non believer can not even contemplate god or his ways to even consider surrendering

People under law would have to surrender. People under grace willingly learn to be like Christ.