Is Avoiding Sexual Sin Required for the Christian? Is it Possible to Avoid Sexual sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Is being in the right place turning from yours sins, being forgiven by the saviour by his sacrifice and struggling to with His grace to overcome our sinful nature?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
That sounds pretty good on the surface but only partly true. Yes we are saved by grace but saved to what end?
It is Good.. Not only on the surface.. But right to the Core.. We are saved by Grace because there is NO other Way for God to justifiably Redeem us from the eternal Lake of Fire..

Much easier to say i can sexually sin or do any other sin all i want because “It's not about successfully ceasing to sin..”
Ahh yes always the same insinuation that people who rely 100% on the grace of Jesus are using grace as a license to sin.. Again and again and again.. But once someone aknowledges they need grace to have their sins forgiven and they value it above all else their spirit is in agreement with the standards of God and they naturaly try to avoid the sins that are relying on the Atonement of the LORD Jesus to cover.. But in this life they know that their efforts are as filthy rags compared to the perfection that they would need to achieve if they wanted to justify their own place with God in eternity..

why even try, after all we are not saved to be like He is? No sense at all
Oh yes we are saved to be like He is.. But NOT in this life.. Not in our sinful flesh.. We are saved to be like He is upon the day of reasurection.. The day when we shall be transformed into the perfect beings we long to be..

“Being perfect as my heavenly Father is” or “if you love me, keep my commandment”
But we are NOT perfect like my Heavenly Father is.. That should be self evident to everyone reading this sentence.. So therefore we look forward to a future time when we will be like the LORD Jesus..

“if you love me, keep my commandment”
Yes KEEP his commandments... They are in our Bibles and are in our minds and on our consciences..
Now what is His commandment..

1 John 3:
23 "And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment."

Grace is cheap so why not take advantage of it?
Grace is not cheap... It is FREE.. We do not pay a thing for such a gift.. In fact trying to pay for a gift is an insult to the Gift Giver.. There will be a lot of Works salvation believers calling out to the LORD Jesus on the day of judgement talking about all their wonderful works and it will not earn them a moment in paradise..

Matthew 7:
22"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? {23} And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
Unfortunately, sexual sin, lustful desires, and perversity are so powerfully alluring that people become addicted slaves to these sins.

Once they've given themselves up to these sins, they prefer them to the ways of chastity, God's ways.

I've known people who have become lost in the world of sexual immorality/lust and rather than seek a way out, they rationalize. They fool themselves into believing that these are merely 'natural bodily functions' and that there is nothing wrong, no sin at all.

They delude themselves because they prefer the darkness to the light. Satan's laughing with delight because he has them in his net. And Satan is casting a big net.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Unfortunately, sexual sin, lustful desires, and perversity are so powerfully alluring that people become addicted slaves to these sins.

Once they've given themselves up to these sins, they prefer them to the ways of chastity, God's ways.

I've known people who have become lost in the world of sexual immorality/lust and rather than seek a way out, they rationalize. They fool themselves into believing that these are merely 'natural bodily functions' and that there is nothing wrong, no sin at all.

They delude themselves because they prefer the darkness to the light. Satan's laughing with delight because he has them in his net. And Satan is casting a big net.
You said it better than i did!

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
People will attempt to avoid sin if they believe the LORD's standards when it comes to things God does not want us to do...

IS it possible for a human being to avoid all sin.. No..

We don't fight the good fight to win.. Victory is the LORD's not ours..
We fight the good fight because we love the one who gained Victory for us..
What You are saying is a straw man. “IS it possible for a human being to avoid all sin.. No..” The wrong part is the straw man…i am never saying I win on my own power. I am saying I will win because I know I love Him and I know for a certainty He will help me. I know i will defeat sin because we love each other and I know it.

You fight the good fight but in the end you dont expect to win against sin? (where is the faith in that?). …..my strawman? May I say it in a way you can agree with…”I can do all things with Him that strengthens me. “. The scripture itself says if we say we dont sin we are a liar. Yes i sin, i dont expect to. I expect to love God enough in all matters enough to not sin in any matter, sexual or not. If my conscience tells me i have sinned i hope i want to immediately repent.

What bothers me is the sins i don’t know i have committed because i have too hard a heart and my conscience fails me. I have asked but the answer i get is that He will cure and forgive me as i live. Maybe even if He tells me point blank i would be too discouraged. I don’t know myself like He does.

Probably after all this we agree and what i write doesn't square with your words and vice versa.

Just as long as you love Him and He loves you, not theoretically according to the scriptures but you know its true we are on the same wavelength, same Spirit.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. [14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Also

If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

It is my experience that if i deny myself in this area, it is far more than worth it. When i do this the intensity love of me is such great pleasure and much longer lasting.

I have many fronts to deny myself, to die to my flesh: not eating too much, getting angry at my spouse. ….on and on. I have such a long way to go.

It is wonderful to know that He loves me as He does.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
What You are saying is a straw man. “IS it possible for a human being to avoid all sin.. No..” The wrong part is the straw man…i am never saying I win on my own power. I am saying I will win because I know I love Him and I know for a certainty He will help me. I know i will defeat sin because we love each other and I know it.
So if the LORD was willing to cause you to cease sinning then why are you still a sinner? You keep on saying I will win and I will defeat sin.. meaning you will have victory some time in the future and you WILL win in the future.. If God decided that i was going to stop sinning and decided to transform me into the kind of being that would stop sinning then he could do it in the twinkling of an eye.. I would not have to say I will this or I will that because it would already have been done..

Now as a Christian i believe i WILL be sinless upon the day of the resurrection when i will be transformed by God in a twinkling of an eye into a perfected sinless eternal being.. But not before that..

People who preach that sinlessness is to be had in this life time in these faulty sinning bodies hold out false hope to others and undermine the confidence of babes in Christ who are not yet well versed enough in the scriptures to know that some of the promises of God will only be enacted in the next life..

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
That sounds pretty good on the surface but only partly true. Yes we are saved by grace but saved to what end?

Much easier to say i can sexually sin or do any other sin all i want because “It's not about successfully ceasing to sin..” why even try, after all we are not saved to be like He is? No sense at all “Being perfect as my heavenly Father is” or “if you love me, keep my commandment”

Grace is cheap so why not take advantage of it?
Yes X double XX and a few more

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
First it should have definition to what is sexual sin. Some think masturbating is a sin. Passages in the Bible don't say or suggest it is, but there are passages showing that lusting is a sin. So if it is with lusting even with using just the imagination it's still sin. What about married couples? What is sin for them? One might still rape the other, that would be without consent and it would be without love, that would be sin. What else, when they are consenting?

When some things considered as sin are found not to be, harming no one and not against conscience or in rebellion against God, I think it is possible to avoid sexual sin. And grace is not for making sin not matter, we are saved to be delivered from sin, we should be turning from sin and not just continue in sins as we were doing.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
First it should have definition to what is sexual sin. Some think masturbating is a sin. Passages in the Bible don't say or suggest it is, but there are passages showing that lusting is a sin. So if it is with lusting even with using just the imagination it's still sin. What about married couples? What is sin for them? One might still rape the other, that would be without consent and it would be without love, that would be sin. What else, when they are consenting?

When some things considered as sin are found not to be, harming no one and not against conscience or in rebellion against God, I think it is possible to avoid sexual sin. And grace is not for making sin not matter, we are saved to be delivered from sin, we should be turning from sin and not just continue in sins as we were doing.
I have come to the conclusion that self sex or masturbating is a sin. So it is a sin for me. It is surely not easy to give up, it was pain. Have I completely suceeded? Substantialy with very few exceptions. The evil one and my mind tricks me once in a while. On top of that I am celebate (not my wish) but married. If I fail, I expect the tenderness with which He loves me to go away, but, just as to the Prodigal Son He runs to me and embraces me when I repent. He loves me so much. I know that God stands with me when i resist this sin and the pleasure of His company is far greater than the pleasure of the sin. Also, not for sure, but probably, the results of giving this sin up was that God (The ONE, Father, Son and Spirit) said to me "I love you and you love me" At that time that was said to me I didn't know what it meant in depth (still probably don't know what it means in its fullest extent). The poems that I post here on this site give some idea of the changes after He said He loved me. Now we cling to each other. In all things don't want to offend this One that I love, small or great. I want to be as He is. As much time as possible I want to worship Him and I get pleasure out of worshiping Him. Frequently and the biggest pleasure is when He is embracing me and loving me so sweetly and greatly . I hear the faint echos of the praise of His glory in heaven and I know how glorious He is.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I have come to the conclusion that self sex or masturbating is a sin. So it is a sin for me. It is surely not easy to give up, it was pain. Have I completely suceeded? Substantialy with very few exceptions. The evil one and my mind tricks me once in a while. On top of that I am celebate (not my wish) but married. If I fail, I expect the tenderness with which He loves me to go away, but, just as to the Prodigal Son He runs to me and embraces me when I repent. He loves me so much. I know that God stands with me when i resist this sin and the pleasure of His company is far greater than the pleasure of the sin. Also, not for sure, but probably, the results of giving this sin up was that God (The ONE, Father, Son and Spirit) said to me "I love you and you love me" At that time that was said to me I didn't know what it meant in depth (still probably don't know what it means in its fullest extent). The poems that I post here on this site give some idea of the changes after He said He loved me. Now we cling to each other. In all things don't want to offend this One that I love, small or great. I want to be as He is. As much time as possible I want to worship Him and I get pleasure out of worshiping Him. Frequently and the biggest pleasure is when He is embracing me and loving me so sweetly and greatly . I hear the faint echos of the praise of His glory in heaven and I know how glorious He is.
My opinion: Focus on your wife in those masturbatory fantasies. If it is still sin to you, then I won't argue with you about that. But, I have found zero conviction, but even an enormously good feeling if I've done that with my late wife in mind. Anyone else, and I have trouble looking at myself in the mirror for a while. But, that is just me and just a suggestion for you.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
My opinion: Focus on your wife in those masturbatory fantasies. If it is still sin to you, then I won't argue with you about that. But, I have found zero conviction, but even an enormously good feeling if I've done that with my late wife in mind. Anyone else, and I have trouble looking at myself in the mirror for a while. But, that is just me and just a suggestion for you.
Thanks for your kindness to talk about something so personal. Probably good for me to deny myself. Jesus did that I assume. In light of what I think about the apostles liketly they did that too. I know that there is no leg for me to stand on in terms of prohibitions from the scriptures. I have the impulse as much as I can to be absolutely be pointed in my heart and body, mind to love and honor the one that I know loves me so much.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
It's hard sometimes to see the blessing in something that means we are deprived of something else we desire. What can make it worse is that it is a desire that God has placed in us and designed to enhance our lives.
The problem isn't in our assessment of our situation, but in our acceptance of how we view the situation.
When my oldest son was young, we watched a lot of sports programming together. My teams were notoriously bad while some of his were good, others mediocre. When my teams lost I was never bothered. When his teams lost, it didn't sit well with him. I asked him why it bothered him so much. He confessed his strong dislike of losing. So I asked him if he knew why losing never bothered me. He asked why. I told him that my teams never lose. He laughed and said what do you mean? Your team lost by 3 touchdowns. I told him I redefined winning. Winning for me is if my team scores. My team only lost 1 game all year. In fact, my team was so good at winning they weren't going to the Superbowl just so other teams could have a chance.

Godliness with contentment is great gain...1 Timothy 6:6.

Contentment doesn't come from fulfilling our desires. It comes from realizing that whatever estate we are in is what is good and best for us if that's where God has us.

Redefine what victory is and you might find contentment and victory as you are.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
It's hard sometimes to see the blessing in something that means we are deprived of something else we desire. What can make it worse is that it is a desire that God has placed in us and designed to enhance our lives.
The problem isn't in our assessment of our situation, but in our acceptance of how we view the situation.
When my oldest son was young, we watched a lot of sports programming together. My teams were notoriously bad while some of his were good, others mediocre. When my teams lost I was never bothered. When his teams lost, it didn't sit well with him. I asked him why it bothered him so much. He confessed his strong dislike of losing. So I asked him if he knew why losing never bothered me. He asked why. I told him that my teams never lose. He laughed and said what do you mean? Your team lost by 3 touchdowns. I told him I redefined winning. Winning for me is if my team scores. My team only lost 1 game all year. In fact, my team was so good at winning they weren't going to the Superbowl just so other teams could have a chance.

Godliness with contentment is great gain...1 Timothy 6:6.

Contentment doesn't come from fulfilling our desires. It comes from realizing that whatever estate we are in is what is good and best for us if that's where God has us.

Redefine what victory is and you might find contentment and victory as you are.
My contentment is that i know that He is so good to me, giving me every good thing he can, health, wife, children, grand children, a home clothes and so much more.The most important thing is that he has made me to know much He loves me. I am most thankful for that.

Basically He is so good to me I don’t want anything more, i am very content.

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
Of course if in your conscience it is sin then masturbating yourself is sin, for you. It would understandably be hard to give up, you say that you are married now, I might guess it could mean you may have enough relief with your spouse. What if your spouse is masturbating you, is that a sin in your mind? As I mentioned previously if there is consent between two who are married what is sexual sin between them? Not that I think there is nothing but not much comes easily to mind. Maybe if they are watching pornography? This might be with some lust, when their desire should be for each other and it should be enough for each other. Couples should know they desire each other when they get married.

Without marriage and just staying single maybe giving up masturbating might be too much too succeed at. And the only thing I can see for being reason for that is becoming convinced it is a sin. Does something trigger it? That might be an issue to consider, rather than just feeling the need for the release. If what is triggering is with lust that there is desire to act on that would then be sin, wouldn't it? But my point remains that masturbating at any time without any of that being a trigger and without lust for anyone is not shown to be sin in God's word.

Knowing God's love is extremely important and surely nothing should be getting in the way of knowing it.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Of course if in your conscience it is sin then masturbating yourself is sin, for you. It would understandably be hard to give up, you say that you are married now, I might guess it could mean you may have enough relief with your spouse. What if your spouse is masturbating you, is that a sin in your mind? As I mentioned previously if there is consent between two who are married what is sexual sin between them? Not that I think there is nothing but not much comes easily to mind. Maybe if they are watching pornography? This might be with some lust, when their desire should be for each other and it should be enough for each other. Couples should know they desire each other when they get married.

Without marriage and just staying single maybe giving up masturbating might be too much too succeed at. And the only thing I can see for being reason for that is becoming convinced it is a sin. Does something trigger it? That might be an issue to consider, rather than just feeling the need for the release. If what is triggering is with lust that there is desire to act on that would then be sin, wouldn't it? But my point remains that masturbating at any time without any of that being a trigger and without lust for anyone is not shown to be sin in God's word.

Knowing God's love is extremely important and surely nothing should be getting in the way of knowing it.
I am not qualified to tell anyone else what is right. All i can do is to say what i think is right for me. However, the truth is not relative, if i have the same Holy Spirit in me that another Christian has, likely we will believe the same thing.

The basis of what i should do with my body is who is it owned by. I want my body and my life to be owned by my Father and my Saviour, preserved by the Spirit. If He says (scripture) says no sex outside of marriage (fornication), then since my body belongs to God, with His Spirit’s power i wont Fornicate. Masterbation from the sense of the scriptures i believe is wrong as well, in marriage or not.

Sometimes I fail, not often. I am telling you that so I wont be a hypocrite, i ask forgiveness from my saviour.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Collosians 3:
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

FredVB

Feb 26, 2022
I figure Colossians is meant. Acting on lust is really excluded. Anything based on lust must stop. Really, too many believers settle with engaging in gluttony, which is as much sin, which makes their belly their god. We need to look for God's will, and Yahweh is the real God. It is established in the design from God, to start with, and God's will that is perfect does not change, even while there are concessions, for humanity in this fallen condition. God's will is higher and is what we should look for and turn to when it is seen, often from revelation right to us. Are there believers really saved who have no spiritual growth over time? I doubt that.

G

George0115

I will admit I have a problem with lust. For a while I had it under control, but lately its been a challenge for me. I've been watching things I know I shouldn't be watching. I pray to God to keep my eyes from any evil things, but I know I need to have some self control. I pray everyday, I read the bible everyday, but I'm watching porn sometimes. There's something wrong here. I ask for his forgiveness. I'm sure he forgives me, but I bet he's not too happy with me. I'm really trying to change my ways, but there's always temptation looking you in the face. It's a challenge. That's life I guess. All I can do is ask for his forgiveness, and do my best.