Is Baptism in water a work or a command? Is it necessary for salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 20, 2022
Why would I say that? I do many things commanded by Him. Those "works" just don't participate in my salvation, rather, they're a result of it.
because you said obeying a Command is works.
it's not WORKS you are doing, it's WORKS God is doing but using you to do them.

so, why not Obey All His Commands, when it is not you doing the works EVER?

it's Obeying the WILL of the Father!

Jun 20, 2022
how can someone say, God did ALL the WORKS for my Salvation and then think Obeying God is now you doing the works?

You are destroying your prior Doctrine.

DebD

Nov 22, 2023
Hi I’m new here and have been following this thread. i want to relay something that occurred between our local churches, we have been having a “Prayer and Praise” once a month including all of our local churches. Most of the Pastors did some talking, along with our worship teams with music. We had planned in Communion together that evening. One of the pastors (not mine) stood up and admonished that anyone participating in communion should be baptized before partaking in communion. There were many attending this event, that were afraid to partake in communion because of this admonishment, even as they were looking forward to participating. it did Not feel right or correct to me. I would like to hear opinions on this.
thanx for letting me join this Christian forum. God Bless You all.

Jun 20, 2022
how can someone say, God did ALL the WORKS for my Salvation and then think Obeying God is now you doing the works?

You are destroying your prior Doctrine.
this is why Calvin was not Inspired by God.
he truly was a Legalist!

it's like saying, God, the Creator of ALL things...needs me to do this....

He can make a Donkey speak, but, you think He needs you hahahahahahahahahaha

that is as butt-backwards as it gets.,.,

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
this is why Calvin was not Inspired by God.
he truly was a Legalist!

it's like saying, God, the Creator of ALL things...needs me to do this....

He can make a Donkey speak, but, you think He needs you hahahahahahahahahaha

that is as butt-backwards as it gets.,.,
You're the one who thinks He needs you. God can't get you there without your help. Keep trying though... maybe you'll eventually get there.

Jun 20, 2022
you cannot love God genuinely for what He's done for you.
but you can only do it in the form of a Works?
then, you are NOT Saved!

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
you cannot love God genuinely for what He's done for you.
but you can only do it in the form of a Works?
then, you are NOT Saved!
I love God genuinely BECAUSE OF what He's done for me. If you're relying on loving God genuinely before you are saved, you'll never get there because it'll never be genuine enough. Only the God working in you can do that.

Jun 20, 2022
I love God genuinely BECAUSE OF what He's done for me. If you're relying on loving God genuinely before you are saved, you'll never get there because it'll never be genuine enough. Only the God working in you can do that.
i am not talking before Salvation, and never eluded to that.
that is you moving the goalpost like you do whenever you know you are wrong.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
i am not talking before Salvation, and never eluded to that.
that is you moving the goalpost like you do whenever you know you are wrong.
This is not me moving the goal post. I'm not wrong, you just keep misrepresenting me. If you're talking after salvation, then yes, I can love God genuinely because he is doing that work in me. No works (including following commands) can save me or keep me saved. God does that.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
In Acts 2:37-40, Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, preached a powerful message that convicted the hearts of the people who heard it. The people were deeply moved by Peter's words and asked him what they should do. Peter responded with clear instructions:

Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Since I was Born again in 1963, and received the Holy Spirit (as all Born again Christians do), as the result of Southern Baptist outreach, on a Wednesday night in my Bedroom, the following Sunday in the Evening service, I was Baptised by immersion in the three titles.

I wasn't any MORE "saved", and nothing changed, except that I was wetter, and had to change clothes. But I felt that I had been obedient to the Bible indication that a Saved person SHOULD BE baptized. So I was.

Simple as that.

A local Assembly of God Church in Red OAk, TX held a "SPLASH PARTY" a month ago, and baptized about 150 people on profession of faith, in two tanks during morning service.