Is crossdressing a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Q

Quake10

So ever since i was 11 i have struggled with wanting to dress up in girls clothes. Im now in my late teens. I am attracted to girls so im not gay, and i dont hate being a male, or want to change my gender (God created me who He wanted me to be) but i have a strong urge to wear females clothes. Is this a sin? I need to know. I dont know how to handle this, please help me. I know being gay is sinful, but is crossdressing sinful too?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
So ever since i was 11 i have struggled with wanting to dress up in girls clothes. Im now in my late teens. I am attracted to girls so im not gay, and i dont hate being a male, or want to change my gender (God created me who He wanted me to be) but i have a strong urge to wear females clothes. Is this a sin? I need to know. I dont know how to handle this, please help me. I know being gay is sinful, but is crossdressing sinful too?

​Yes it is because the bible says men are not to dress like women, and women should not dress like men. You should dress appropriately for the gender that you are, which is male. :) Ask God to help rid you of this urge, and he will gladly do so.

U

Ugly

We all have urges to sin. Just some urges are more common, and therefore seem less extreme. Like wanting to have sex. Most people seem to struggle with this, at least at some point in their life. Yet, if we aren't married, we have to resist the urge. Fight the temptation. Your temptation may be less common, but that doesn't mean you have to make a bigger issue out of it. Just remember, ever person who doesn't want to sin is going through the same thing you are. It just manifests itself differently through different sins.

E

Exoaria

I am a cross dresser. Never have felt convicted, I just get a lot of weird looks.

You are free to express yourself in Christ, not bound by any food, clothing, festival or Sabbath. Your outward appearance has nothing to do with who you are, or your justification by the blood of Christ.

Most people will say it's sin because they're uncomfortable with it, or try to associate it with homosexuality. This is just because it's not "normal" in society and everyone— not just Christians— have a hard time accepting things that challenge their bubbles or cozy paradigms. :) Or because they're just not as fabulous as me.

U

Ugly

Deuteronomy 22:5
5 “A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

E

Exoaria

Deuteronomy 22:5
5 “A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.
Good thing I'm no longer a bondservant to the law, but to Christ!

U

Ugly

Ah. Ok. So it no longer applies. It went from 'abomination to God' to 'oh, no big deal'. Got it. So now it's not an abomination and God changed His mind.

B

bananertanner

I am a cross dresser. Never have felt convicted, I just get a lot of weird looks.

You are free to express yourself in Christ, not bound by any food, clothing, festival or Sabbath. Your outward appearance has nothing to do with who you are, or your justification by the blood of Christ.

Most people will say it's sin because they're uncomfortable with it, or try to associate it with homosexuality. This is just because it's not "normal" in society and everyone— not just Christians— have a hard time accepting things that challenge their bubbles or cozy paradigms. :) Or because they're just not as fabulous as me.
I am so sorry Exoaria, I am in no way trying to offend you, but please do not give advice that is not biblical in a bible group. It clearly states in Deuteronomy 22:5 that men should not wear women's clothing and women should not wear men's clothing. Quake10 really needed advice, and (not to put it harshly) you gave him bad advice. People don't say cross dressing is a sin because it makes people uncomfortable or try to associate it with homosexuality, they say it's a sin because God himself said not to. I think Ugly really nailed it when he said we all had urges and some seem a little more extreme, but they are all equal. I've seen him post from time to time and he really gives some good, godly advice. I think you both could ask God to free you from this temptation, because we all need God to help us overcome certain obstacles. I pray the best for the both of you, and again, I am sorry if I offend you. I am really trying not to.

E

Exoaria

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

1 John 4:21
And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

I don't care about the religious rules. With that mentality you're just a Pharisee trying to please God with behaviour and good works. There is a lot of Scripture in Exodus, Deuteronomy and Leviticus that describes plenty of things as abominations.

So guess what? I'm believing Paul, that this thing is simple. Love God, love your neighbour and the law is fulfilled. You can throw at me as much legislation as you want, and throw it at Quake10 — but guess what? I'm still cross dressing!

Or we can join the Ugly team and stop eating pork and bacon because... it's unclean! God never changed his mind about that, either, right? Or... no. It was just the ceremonial law that was abolished... wait, which verse was that in again? (Nevermind, I doubt he'll notice.)

B

bananertanner

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be insulting, but if you want to take it that way, go ahead. I don't appreciate you making these assumptions about me, please stop. You can do as you please, but you can't deny what is right and wrong when it is clearly listed as such in the Bible. You can choose to follow what God has commanded us to do, or you can ignore it. You've obviously made your choice. Have a nice day/night/evening, whatever it is where you are from.

E

Exoaria

I'm not offended. A lot of people still follow the law of Sinai. That's their business, there's just likely to be a lot of cross dressers who read this and I'm defending the new covenant, that we've been released from the law and made holy and righteous in His sight to manifest the Kingdom on earth.

My androgyneity has nothing to do with my ability to love people and know God, and it shouldn't affect anyone else. :) People can disagree, but your only argument is the law of sin and death written on tablets of stone, ministering the covenant of the letter which kills and brings no life. Enjoy your freedom, free from sin and religious conduct.

E

Exoaria

My first response wasn't directed towards you.

But it is only heresy in your eyes because you see through the law. I will share freedom as it is the gospel, even if you deem it to be heretical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Quake10

Yeah i agree with bananertanner and Ugly, i believe in the full Bible, even if we are freed from the old mosiac law, i still think God wants us to be good witnesses for him and dress accordingly to His Word. I have tried to stop, ive begged God to take it from me. And I haven't been able to tell anyone about this with the exception of my brother because im embarrassed and scared. Why wont God take it from me? Ive begged Him. Its also somewhat intertwined with my sexuality which makes it worse. I just dont know what to do, am i a terrible person? Am i gonna be comdemned? I know u have probably heard this before, but i feel as though He doesn't understand, i know he does, but it doesn't feel like it. Please help me

B

bananertanner

I never said your ability to love was affected nor did it affect anyone else? Why do you have the assumptions of me? And my "only argument" is the only argument that is needed, because it is written in the Bible. That is the only argument should be made. I don't want to argue, that isn't why I came here. I saw you post in another forum about how Christian Chat isn't as comfortable as one might think; maybe that is because you aren't so warm and welcoming yourself. Please think about that. I don't want to end my night on a low note, so my replying will end here. God bless, I really hope for no hard feelings.

U

Ugly

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

1 John 4:21
And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

I don't care about the religious rules. With that mentality you're just a Pharisee trying to please God with behaviour and good works. There is a lot of Scripture in Exodus, Deuteronomy and Leviticus that describes plenty of things as abominations.

So guess what? I'm believing Paul, that this thing is simple. Love God, love your neighbour and the law is fulfilled. You can throw at me as much legislation as you want, and throw it at Quake10 — but guess what? I'm still cross dressing!

Or we can join the Ugly team and stop eating pork and bacon because... it's unclean! God never changed his mind about that, either, right? Or... no. It was just the ceremonial law that was abolished... wait, which verse was that in again? (Nevermind, I doubt he'll notice.)
Funny, you make rants about love, but are being a jerk and making presumptions about people. How is that loving? I see you are the religious one, wanting to pick and choose what you want to believe in the bible. There is more than just love. You can't just say 'the bible say love, so that's all there is'. The bible, including the NT, says more than just that. But i suppose that would get in the way of you doing whatever you want. Your hypocrisy discredits you. Enjoy your denial. I'm out.

B

bananertanner

Yeah i agree with bananertanner and Ugly, i believe in the full Bible, even if we are freed from the old mosiac law, i still think God wants us to be good witnesses for him and dress accordingly to His Word. I have tried to stop, ive begged God to take it from me. And I haven't been able to tell anyone about this with the exception of my brother because im embarrassed and scared. Why wont God take it from me? Ive begged Him. Its also somewhat intertwined with my sexuality which makes it worse. I just dont know what to do, am i a terrible person? Am i gonna be comdemned? I know u have probably heard this before, but i feel as though He doesn't understand, i know he does, but it doesn't feel like it. Please help me
I said I wasn't replying anymore but I really wanted to reply to you Quake10. You aren't a terrible person.. We all sin. We will all still sin, and no ones sin in any worse than someone elses. Please don't think you are a terrible person, because you aren't. We all are sinners, but God loves you, he really does. And he really understands. I am going to pray for you, because you can be freed from this temptation. I wish the best. God bless!

E

Exoaria

I don't struggle with it because it's an active choice of mine and preference and I could stop at any time if I felt like it. I'd say that it's not a good thing if you feel like it actually controls you.

1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

You're free— but the moment something starts to control you or prevent you from being built up and grounded in Christ it's more than likely becoming unhealthy.

1 Corinthians 15:56
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Biblically, the strength of your urges are coming from the law. Old Covenant verses, which demand change as mentioned earlier, are the reason that sin has strength. Although I would not consider the action sin, I would consider it a trait of sin to be mastered by anything other than Christ, even cross dressing. Once you realize that God loves you either way, and there is no condemnation either way, and that God is not counting your sins against you— sin loses its power.

Q

Quake10

bananertanner thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me.

Channa

Mar 1, 2014
Im also gonna pray. God is with you!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Good thing I'm no longer a bondservant to the law, but to Christ!
Who do you think GAVE the law to be written down? It wasn't the writers of the bible that decreed that law in the verses Ugly gave. It was GOD that laid down the law. I'm with Ugly on this, when did God's commandment go from "don't do it" to "oh who cares?"