Is crossdressing a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Q

Quake10

Thank you channa. I have been battling this for years, i just want to be free from it

Q

Quake10

Im also very hard on myself and struggle with self worth alot.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Im also very hard on myself and struggle with self worth alot.
You are worth more to God than you could ever imagine Quake10!! :) He sent his son to die on the cross for your sins. For all of our sins. THAT is love. Ask him to help you with this cross-dressing fetish that you have. It's a sinful way of life, regardless of what other posters believe. Take Jesus' word on this, not the word of Exoaria or anyone else. Just because he doesn't think it's wrong, doesn't mean that it's right. Believe in Jesus and believe in yourself. God bless you. :)

M

MadParrotWoman

Yeah i agree with bananertanner and Ugly, i believe in the full Bible, even if we are freed from the old mosiac law, i still think God wants us to be good witnesses for him and dress accordingly to His Word. I have tried to stop, ive begged God to take it from me. And I haven't been able to tell anyone about this with the exception of my brother because im embarrassed and scared. Why wont God take it from me? Ive begged Him. Its also somewhat intertwined with my sexuality which makes it worse. I just dont know what to do, am i a terrible person? Am i gonna be comdemned? I know u have probably heard this before, but i feel as though He doesn't understand, i know he does, but it doesn't feel like it. Please help me
God is very aware that you are grieved by this problem and that you are truly trying to change. Just as bananertanner said we all sin and God does not see your sin as being any worse than anyone else's - God hates all sin. I can't possibly understand the reasoning for God's apparent inaction but for sure it is in hand and will work in your best interests and for His glory.

Q

Quake10

Thank you all. I dont understand why it wont go away. I battle it everyday some days i want to stop, others i want to do it super bad. It is so so strong, its as bad if not worse than containing my attraction towards girls. Its horrible. And i cannot tell my parents they would judge me so severely, plus i dont want to hurt them. I just wish God would free me of this. I also feel extreme guilt as a result of this and worry about my eternity. I get scared and worry if im truly saved. I have also been a perfectionist and as a result i am very hard on myself

A

AgeofKnowledge

I've fought a couple of mean punk rockers wearing dresses in the early 80's. Emo's didn't exist back then. These were down and dirty mean rebel punk rockers who were the only males wearing the dresses. There was this cowboy bar called Zubios that was across from a punk bar called the Cuckoo's Nest. It was oil and water... literally. My friends and myself we were hard core white greasers who pretty much went wherever we wanted to go and in that town ended up fighting both the cowboys and the punk rockers. I've been involved in full on large parking lot brawls against the cowboys and the punks in the early 80's.

The craziest moment in that set of memories is when a lone black man walked into a fray one night dressed in a kung fu gi. It was like out of a Tarantino movie. I have no idea where he came from, yes he was the only black person present, and yes he was very good at kung fu. I made it a point to square up with him but as we traded got caught with a hard punch to the face that busted my lips forcing me to retreat... lol.

Fighting a mean punk rocker in a dress is definitely a rarity on anyone's bucket list but I checked that one off around 1983... lol.

Ok, so as a Christian today I'll answer the question: Is a man who dresses up like a princess and struts around like a trap sinning? YES.

Are there legitimate exceptions, such as an actor filling a non-immoral role in a short-staffed or comedic play; Yes.

M

MadParrotWoman

Thank you all. I dont understand why it wont go away. I battle it everyday some days i want to stop, others i want to do it super bad. It is so so strong, its as bad if not worse than containing my attraction towards girls. Its horrible. And i cannot tell my parents they would judge me so severely, plus i dont want to hurt them. I just wish God would free me of this. I also feel extreme guilt as a result of this and worry about my eternity. I get scared and worry if im truly saved. I have also been a perfectionist and as a result i am very hard on myself
Your salvation is not in question. The difference with you is that you WANT to change, never give up. God bless.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Another exception would be situations such as occurred in the Third Reich under Adolph Hitler where young men would dress as women to avoid being drafted into the German Army and forced to commit genocide or, if they were Jews, to avoid being captured and murdered in a concentration camp.

Of course, those were extreme circumstances that had zero to do with sexual sin, spiritual rebellion, etc...

E

Exoaria

Knowledge. All these exceptions are just things you are coming up with. Period.

Q

Quake10

The one thing its never been about rebellion at all. Now i do agree its somewhat sexual, but not all of it. I never had this problem until right when i hit puberty. I didnt exactly want it, when i hit puberty i began to get urges to dress up like a girl. I dont understand why, i just did. I had never even heard of crossdressing when i first started. I feel as though it is a curse for me. I just dont understand. Why do i have to have this problem? Why cant I be normal? It hurts to realise im not normal, and am alot different. Im seriously completely torn. 50% of me wants to crossdress to other 50% wants me to stop. I know i must stop, and i know God said He would never give us something we cant handle. But i honestly cant handle this. Why is this happening to me? Whats the purpose? I feel so alone :'(
None of my friends are struggling with this. Why am i having this problem?

Q

Quake10

And one other thing that to me makes it worst than sexual attraction. Teens have to wait til their married, then after that there dreams are fulfilled. But with me i will never have an end, it will never be okay, i will never be able to dress up without it being sinful. Never will it be okay for me. Im sorry if i sound bitter but im really upset and confused. I just dont understand

P

pastac

I don't struggle with it because it's an active choice of mine and preference and I could stop at any time if I felt like it. I'd say that it's not a good thing if you feel like it actually controls you.

1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

You're free— but the moment something starts to control you or prevent you from being built up and grounded in Christ it's more than likely becoming unhealthy.

1 Corinthians 15:56
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Biblically, the strength of your urges are coming from the law. Old Covenant verses, which demand change as mentioned earlier, are the reason that sin has strength. Although I would not consider the action sin, I would consider it a trait of sin to be mastered by anything other than Christ, even cross dressing. Once you realize that God loves you either way, and there is no condemnation either way, and that God is not counting your sins against you— sin loses its power.
note sin is always an active choice never one time is it not!

A

Amandar

Hi Quake! I've been reading through your thread and my heart aches for you. You are in my prayers. I've done a little digging on Google and found this website article that I believe should help you: HERE (NOTE: Pay special attention to paragraph six.) My advice to you is to set an appointment with your local youth pastor or church pastor and explain to them how you are feeling and get some feedback from them. In no shape or form am I saying anybody's advice on this thread is good or bad. I'm just suggesting you go see someone who most likely has had more experience/training about the subject then your fellow friends here on CC...including me.;) I'm praying that you will receive good guidance from our heavenly Father as well as from a pastor. Private Message me if you want to chat more!!!

A

AgeofKnowledge

They are things I've read about. Read 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie Ten boom. She explains how they would disguise young Jewish males in this way to hide them from the Nazis but also young Dutch men to avoid them from being forcibly drafted into the Nazi army.

Knowledge. All these exceptions are just things you are coming up with. Period.

E

Exoaria

They are things I've read about. Read 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie Ten boom. She explains how they would disguise young Jewish males in this way to hide them from the Nazis but also young Dutch men to avoid them from being forcibly drafted into the Nazi army.
No, no. I believe all the cases happened.

There is absolutely no Biblical evidence to suggest a behavioral line between the two. You are coming up with your own exceptions because they seem logical.

This is the problem with the law. We constantly feel that we need to "do holy" rather than "be holy" so we come up with a bunch of reasons of what is and isn't okay.

If you are under the law, you keep the whole law. Under the law, cross dressing is NEVER okay.

E

Exoaria

And one other thing that to me makes it worst than sexual attraction. Teens have to wait til their married, then after that there dreams are fulfilled. But with me i will never have an end, it will never be okay, i will never be able to dress up without it being sinful. Never will it be okay for me. Im sorry if i sound bitter but im really upset and confused. I just dont understand
The only people that have said it is sin are people quoting the Old Testament.

The Bible has said many times the law was fulfilled in Christ and if you even TRY to justify yourself by following it you have been severed from grace.

I've already told you that the reason you're mastered by it is because the strength of sin is the law. Stop focusing on your cross dressing, it cannot separate you from God. You are loved unconditionally.

A

AgeofKnowledge

I didn't "come up" with these exceptions. Others did when faced with genocide by wicked tyrannical regimes and I am recounting them to you.

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, you're claiming that if a person disguises themselves, or others, to prevent murder that it violates God's holiness?

Scripture employs a variety of words to speak of sin, with meanings ranging from ‘the missing of a mark or goal’ or ‘the breach of relationship’ to ‘ungodliness’, ‘perversion’ or ‘rebellion’. Yet the common theme of every biblical expression of the nature of sin is the central idea that sin is a state of our being that separates us from the holy God; biblically, sin is ultimately sin against God.

The most characteristic feature of sin in all its aspects is that it is directed against God (cf. Ps. 51:4; Rom. 8:7). Any conception of sin which does not have in the forefront the contradiction which it offers to God is a deviation from the biblical representation. The common notion that sin is selfishness betrays a false assessment of its nature and gravity. Sin is a violation of that which God’s glory demands and is, therefore, in its essence the contradiction of God and His holiness.

Indeed, the distinction between male and female is foundational to our identity as human beings created in God's image. Scripture also tells us that sex is the Creator’s unique gift to a husband and wife within the exclusive bond of marriage.

I certainly DO agree with you that attitudes, behaviors and practices that blur this line are inconsistent with the divine design and that the biblical view is that cross-dressing clearly violates this principle and within the context of a Christian worldview is to be understood and treated as an abnormal and undesirable form of behavior.

HOWEVER, scripture is clear that God weighs intent and the heart (1 Samuel 16:7) in judging behavior. Disguising someone to prevent their murder is not a sin. However, delivering them up to wicked tyrannical regimes to be murdered is a sin. So is sexual immorality and rebellion against God and His holiness sinful.

You appear to be presently unable to see a difference between disguising someone to prevent their murder and a person choosing to engage in sexual immorality and rebellion against God and His holiness.

Disguising a person as a member of the opposite sex to prevent their murder, as occurred in WWII for example, is not an unholy sin against God. It's not cross-dressing per se but rather the donning of a temporary disguise to prevent a murder from occurring.

That said, I'm not aware of a single person donning clothes of the opposite gender in Western nations today doing so to attempt being murdered by a wicked tyrannical regime.

100% of them, in my observation, are sinning.

No, no. I believe all the cases happened.

There is absolutely no Biblical evidence to suggest a behavioral line between the two. You are coming up with your own exceptions because they seem logical.

This is the problem with the law. We constantly feel that we need to "do holy" rather than "be holy" so we come up with a bunch of reasons of what is and isn't okay.

If you are under the law, you keep the whole law. Under the law, cross dressing is NEVER okay.

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
Yes God is the one who convicts of sin and even then, He is love and says, Ok, stop doing that, or tomorrow is another day. Sometimes He needs to break through other ways. It's a process of sanctification and Holyness. I remember a church telling me they had a dress code, and I was not allowed to serve unless I was on that dress code. God was not convicting me to put my hair in a bun or to wear skirts. He was actually directing me out of the church. They viewed me as sinful, and pointed out scritpure, to prove it. But, God was giving me scripture about my hair and other things that were just for me. That is relationship. They tried so hard to convict me of something God was not convicting me of, so that is why churches fail and the devil gets unleased. God individually convicts. He sactifies us each differently, through different phases. It's all about love.

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
But it is also in the Bible that there is a generation which will be confused. It's a wicket generation. I see much confusion in the generations that are coming up.