Is God that cruel?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UnderGrace

wager not to be a universalist

even though in my opinion, Blaise Pascal should have read James 2:19

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder (James 2:19)

James 2:19 refutes the pascal's wager as pointless
just believing (or wagering) is not good enough

without God's power of sincerity on making the decision, no one get's saved.
hmm....how does Pasal's wager connect to Universalism?

Even demons believe and shudder is not a statement about mental assent as some like to posit.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Now then, why are we called to love our enemies, when God does not love everyone?

So our love must surpass the love of God?

Defies understanding really.
Because hating anyone, even your "enemies" only causes yourself to be upset. Besides hate comes out of the wicked heart. I look at it this way, the person who behaves badly only hurts themselves.

You only have to read ALL of the bible to know that God does not love everyone. As I have aid before in other posts, if God loves everyone then He owes Esau an apology, because God hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong, and then we are told that though Esau sought for repentance with tears it was not granted to him.

Then ask......does God change? Of course not, His characteristic of immutability is assurance He never changes.
Did God love everyone in the old covenant? If so then then God telling Saul to kill every man, women ,child, servant, sheep, etc when Saul was to attack the Amorites was LOVE?

Also you have to be careful to rightly divide the word and remember that what Jesus said in the gospels was His ministry to the Jews, the new covenant of grace had not yet come into effect.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
Nekka, this answer is similar to the way Jehovah's Witness believe, but no exactly. Because it is so close to J. W. you will find many oppose my position on this. People don't burn forever in Hell. First, the forever that is translated as such can also mean "for a time" or "an age". Second, Isaiah 66:24 says that we will be brought by the Lake of Fire and see dead bodies in eternal fire and with worms that never die crawling on them. If the bodies are dead then the "God's breath spirit" that made them alive has gone back to God where it came from, as it says in Ecclesiastes 12:7. While the bodies are being thrown in and punished in the fire, only Jesus and the angels are watching, we will only see the end result. What I get from these verses is that the evil people will be thrown into the Lake of Fire to be punished a lot or a little, depending upon their deeds and thoughts and then God will remove their life spirits and that will be the end of it. There is no need for excuses to be made for why God tortures people forever, as far as I can determine.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
. . . except that the broken law demands justice . . . the wages of one sin is death multiplied by millions that each human being commits over a lifetime--chiefly that of rejecting the One that procured their pardon.

Nov 26, 2012
Now then, why are we called to love our enemies, when God does not love everyone?

So our love must surpass the love of God?

Defies understanding really.
This isn’t a mystery. It’s very understandable. If we are the Body of Christ, and Christ is God. By instructing His Body to love (agape means care for, providing needs) our enemies, God is loving everybody. The disconnect is that His Body is afflicted with Multiple Sclerosis. We are able but the signal from the brain (Christ) is compromised. We think reading the stories of His disciples is where our responsibility ends. Instead of picking up our cross and devoting our life to our Lord, we struggle for increasing comforts. Rather than ask Him what we can do for Him today, we thanklessly beg for more treasure, and pleasure. Anyone who tries to inspire the Body to get off their butts, is confronted with “not by works” rhetoric. Satan doesn’t need to bind us, we gladly sit in the wheelchair, binge watching reruns of our favourite shows. May these words irritate all to action. In the name of Yeshua, the Messiah I beg this.

Nov 23, 2018
So for the last 30 years you believe you are part of a one-percent elect that are going to co-rule with Jesus? It was only discovered 110 years ago. Hmmm... Where was the Holy Spirit during those other 1900 or so years? :unsure:
Can you see those passages I quoted?
Can you see that it's 100% different than anything in the other 59 books?
Your quote of 1Cor 15 is meaningless. During Acts, no one knew about the dispensation of the mystery, which changes everything for Gentiles.
I don't even think it's 1%. More ike .1%, 1 per 1000. The remainder, I think, will be on the New Earth.

I've spent the last 30 years trying is convince people to see it, so they too will go to heaven. It's not for me, it's for them. To me and all that see it, it's as plain as the nose on your face. The first thing people say after seeing it is, "I can't believe most people can't see it"

Maybe God only wants a very limited amount of people up there. We are predestined though His foreknowledge.

Here's a very short list of earthly things that don't apply to anyone today. Gotta eliminate them from your doctrine

---the Lord's prayer
---the Lord's supper,
---Christ's gospel of the Kingdom
---the Great Commission
---the churches in the Gospels and Acts (we have a new church in Eph and Col),
---the New Covenant,
---the sermon on the mount,
---all of the Law,
---water baptism,
---the Gifts of the Spirit,
---the idea that we are the seed of Abraham,
---the New Jerusalem,
---the idea that we are now part of Israel,
---the idea that Israel are God's chosen people at the present time (Israel was actually set aside in about 63AD),
---that prophecy is being fulfilled today
---that the present nation of Israel was the fulfillment of prophecy,
---and, of course, Satan's favorite, the Rapture

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
True. At this point, only Christ has gone to Heaven, but God plans on filling His abode with Gentile Saints, as those passages I posted prove beyond a doubt. That's what the last 2000 years was all about.
What of Elijah and Enoch?
As per, "Gentile Saints", as we're told, we are all one in Christ. There are no Gentiles, Jews, Greeks, male, female. Galatians 3

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
So for the last 30 years you believe you are part of a one-percent elect that are going to co-rule with Jesus? It was only discovered 110 years ago. Hmmm... Where was the Holy Spirit during those other 1900 or so years? :unsure:
Reminiscent of the Jehovah Witness teaching isn't it. The 144,000 elect will co-rule in Heaven with Jesus while the rest of the world after Armageddon is made subject to that Heavenly oversight.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Maybe God only wants a very limited amount of people up there. We are predestined though His foreknowledge.
Interesting, a unbelieving, quite possible cult member trying to convince believers (and potential believers) to stop believing the Bible.

Incredible!

Mar 23, 2016
As I have aid before in other posts, if God loves everyone then He owes Esau an apology, because God hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong
God did not hate "Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong".

Romans 9:

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

What God said concerning Esau "in the womb before he could do any right or wrong" was The elder shall serve the younger.

And we see this truth in Genesis:

Genesis 25:

22 And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to enquire of the LORD.

23 And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.

As you can see, God did not tell Rebekah that He "hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong".

Did you know that God gave Mt. Seir to Esau? And did you know that God told the children of Israel to leave the descendants of Esau in peace:

Deuteronomy 2:

4 And command thou the people, saying, Ye are to pass through the coast of your brethren the children of Esau, which dwell in Seir; and they shall be afraid of you: take ye good heed unto yourselves therefore:

5 Meddle not with them; for I will not give you of their land, no, not so much as a foot breadth; because I have given mount Seir unto Esau for a possession.

Please line up your understanding of Scripture with what is actually written in Scripture.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
God did not hate "Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong".

Romans 9:

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

What God said concerning Esau "in the womb before he could do any right or wrong" was The elder shall serve the younger.

And we see this truth in Genesis:

Genesis 25:

22 And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to enquire of the LORD.

23 And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.

As you can see, God did not tell Rebekah that He "hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong".

Did you know that God gave Mt. Seir to Esau? And did you know that God told the children of Israel to leave the descendants of Esau in peace:

Deuteronomy 2:

4 And command thou the people, saying, Ye are to pass through the coast of your brethren the children of Esau, which dwell in Seir; and they shall be afraid of you: take ye good heed unto yourselves therefore:

5 Meddle not with them; for I will not give you of their land, no, not so much as a foot breadth; because I have given mount Seir unto Esau for a possession.

Please line up your understanding of Scripture with what is actually written in Scripture.
I gave you the wrong reference, it is in Malachi 1 not MIcah..........sorry.

HOWEVER, for your edification, if you choose to be edified.........You will find scripture reference for everything I said about Esau in
Malachi 1:3 Hebrews 12: 16-17 Romans9:13

He will have mercy on whom He has mercy and compassion oh whom He has compassion Rom 9: 15
HOWEVER

C

claysmithr

Let.s say you have a son..and he did something terible, hurt someone or broke something...you as a parent, would you send him to burn in hell for eternity because of that?...i guess not, cause he's your son and you love him...so i ask you..how could God punish people with an eternity in hell because of their sins...God, who is pure love...he could to that? Isn.t that a little cruel?
1. Not all people are Children of God, Jesus for example said the Pharisees were of their Father the Devil. People without the spirit of Christ are doing Satan's will, and will get his punishment.
2. God is a lot more than pure love. God also is 100% Just, and he doesn't let people get away with breaking his laws. However, he is also provides 100% mercy in the person of Jesus Christ, if a person can recognize their sin and repent. God gives most an entire lifetime to repent, sadly most people don't take God up on his offer because they have no faith, and you cannot please God without faith.
3. Sin reaps death, but spirit reaps life. People without Christ will keep on sinning, reaping eternal death.
4. If God allowed sinful man into heaven, the place would soon be utterly corrupt ETERNALLY. Jesus compares sin to yeast, a little bit leavens the whole thing.
5. It is very presumptuous to presume you know better than God. Maybe you should presume you lack knowledge to make the judgement call on whether or not Hell needs to exist.

Mar 23, 2016
I gave you the wrong reference, it is in Malachi 1 not MIcah..........sorry.

HOWEVER, for your edification, if you choose to be edified.........You will find scripture reference for everything I said about Esau in
Malachi 1:3 Hebrews 12: 16-17 Romans9:13

He will have mercy on whom He has mercy and compassion oh whom He has compassion Rom 9: 15
HOWEVER
Not everything you said about Esau was accurate because God absolutely did not say that He "hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong" as you stated in Post #302.

In agreement God said in Malachi 1:3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

However, we must take into account what God said as well as when He said it. We cannot continue to say things like "God hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong" just because we heard someone else say it, or we were taught that lie somewhere. We must hold to the truth of Scripture and say what Scripture says.

And Scripture says that what God said about Esau before Esau was born was: The elder shall serve the younger.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Slander is a sin.
You should be ashamed.
If you agree with this, then you are a cultist as well . . .

Here's a very short list of earthly things that don't apply to anyone today. Gotta eliminate them from your doctrine

---the Lord's prayer
---the Lord's supper,
---the Great Commission
---the New Covenant,
---all of the Law,
---water baptism,
---the New Jerusalem,
---the idea that Israel are God's chosen people at the present time (Israel was actually set aside in about 63AD),

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Because hating anyone, even your "enemies" only causes yourself to be upset. Besides hate comes out of the wicked heart. I look at it this way, the person who behaves badly only hurts themselves.

You only have to read ALL of the bible to know that God does not love everyone. As I have aid before in other posts, if God loves everyone then He owes Esau an apology, because God hated Esau in the womb before he could do any right or wrong, and then we are told that though Esau sought for repentance with tears it was not granted to him.

Then ask......does God change? Of course not, His characteristic of immutability is assurance He never changes.
Did God love everyone in the old covenant? If so then then God telling Saul to kill every man, women ,child, servant, sheep, etc when Saul was to attack the Amorites was LOVE?

Also you have to be careful to rightly divide the word and remember that what Jesus said in the gospels was His ministry to the Jews, the new covenant of grace had not yet come into effect.
Romans 9 Amplified Bible https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+9&version=CJB;AMPC
10 And not only that, but this too: Rebecca conceived [two sons under exactly the same circumstances] by our forefather Isaac, 11 And the children were yet unborn and had so far done nothing either good or evil. Even so, in order further to carry out God’s purpose of selection (election, choice), which depends not on works or what men can do, but on Him Who calls [them],

12 It was said to her that the elder [son] should serve the younger [son].

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated (held in [a]relative disregard in comparison with My feeling for Jacob).

14 What shall we conclude then? Is there injustice upon God’s part? Certainly not!

15 For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will have compassion (pity) on whom I will have compassion.

CJB= Complete Jewish Bible Version
10 And even more to the point is the case of Rivkah; for both her children were conceived in a single act with Yitz’chak, our father; 11 and before they were born, before they had done anything at all, either good or bad (so that God’s plan might remain a matter of his sovereign choice, not dependent on what they did, but on God, who does the calling), 12 it was said to her, “The older will serve the younger.”[d] 13 This accords with where it is written, “Ya‘akov I loved, but Esav I hated.”[e]

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I don't care if I ever change a person's mind . . . that's not my job. The Holy Spirit can do it if He has a mind to. My job is to try and prevent honest seekers from falling into heresy that may damn their souls. If I can post a Bible verse that will cause one of these seekers to go to his/her Bible for the answer -- instead of these "ministers of righteousness" serving the "angel of light." Than I am happy.
You know what should worry us more than changing someone's mind? That some day we might get to the point where we're unwilling to change ours.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Can you see those passages I quoted?
Can you see that it's 100% different than anything in the other 59 books?
Your quote of 1Cor 15 is meaningless. During Acts, no one knew about the dispensation of the mystery, which changes everything for Gentiles.
I don't even think it's 1%. More ike .1%, 1 per 1000. The remainder, I think, will be on the New Earth.

I've spent the last 30 years trying is convince people to see it, so they too will go to heaven. It's not for me, it's for them. To me and all that see it, it's as plain as the nose on your face. The first thing people say after seeing it is, "I can't believe most people can't see it"

---the Lord's prayer
---the Lord's supper,
---the Great Commission
---the New Covenant,
---all of the Law,
---water baptism,
---the New Jerusalem,

.......sounds a wee bit elitist there..........

Romans 12:3) For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

............and..........wow..........THAT LIST?

oh dear.png

Revelation 22:19) And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I pray to God that you FAIL completely to lead a single believer astray.......and, you better too, because you will ANSWER for each and every soul you convince this lie you are preaching.............