Is hell just a tomb or a place for soul?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 21, 2017
Your Very Welcome. There are some nasty folks here but I try let them be nasty and me be civil and polite. No name calling and no intentional insults.
"that you shouldn't go to Pizza places because the were dark inside" LOL WOW that's a new one on me. Definitely out in left field.
What seem to many to be a small thing are words like "many" in Dan. 12:2. BUT I have found them to be valuable little nuggets.
Even though all who have died in Christ as well as those who will be living in Christ at the time of the resurrection there are still Old Testament Saints who will continue sleeping in the dust ontil the Great White Throne Judgement. Proof of this is revealed in Rev. 12:12 where it says "and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."
Notice how the verse says that "The books were opened" and then it says that "and another book was opened, which is the book of life". There is only one Book of life where the names of the righteous are written and many books where that names of the wicked are written. That is why "many" but not all ill awaken and be raised from the dust of the earth on resurrection day.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
An example of am Old Testament Saint who will be judged at the white throne judgement is Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. According to this scripture Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are dead but still alive even though the Bible recorded them as being dead. They are dead from this world but their souls are still alive and sleeping in the dust of the earth.

"I find it difficult due to what I was taught as a child and young adult. And then all these different things people say."
My advise is always, strictly stick to the Word of God and you will never go wrong and it keeps 98% of the confusion down.
If it is not written in the Word of God, It Is Not!!!
"Is this saying that after the resurrection is when we get our heavenly bodies? And not at death?"
These are a couple of good questions and I think a bit hard to answer.
First of all there are a lot of folks who believe everybody such as family members, friends, spouses and so on are going to know and recognize each other but there is no proof of that belief written in the Bible. But in Matt. 22:30 it is clear that just as the angels in heaven. Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
As for when we get our Glorified body?? I go to scripture which tells me that in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man still had eyeballs and a tongue even though his body was rotting in the grave. But the rich man could see Lazarus and Abraham from where he was being tormented and Abraham could see the rich man so I don't thing they were spirits in the sense that they were invisible. So somehow in the spirit realm they could see and recognize each other. Whether or not it was a glorified body I can not say and the rich man would certainly not have had a glorified body while Roasting in a place of torment.
We do know that when Christ was raised from the grave He had received His Glorified body.

There is a free program/file you can download on your computer that is called E-Sword. I can find any scripture I want very quickly with this program/file and it has all kinds of stuff on it you can use for research and when talking about the Bible, although some of the Bible versions you have to pay for but there is a lot of free stuff.
Be blessed my brother from another mother. LOL
Thank you. I do have e-sword and I love it.

Funny I was thinking how the rich man and Lazarus had bodies. I was going to ask about that, but I can get confused with too many things so I didn't ask you about that.

Mar 28, 2016
Meaning when he died his soul was in hell and not with the Father...
You put too much story...on the touch.

I would think you take away. He did not die as in he had no spirit life. His spirit was kept from corrupting to death or no spirit life. The father breathed it in Jesus when he became weak no dead sacrifices. But living sacrifices providing living works.

Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Or in other words. The father will not allow him to suffer pangs of a living suffering call hell and will die as a outcome but will deliver him in three days before he dies . . . the end of suffering unto death .

Dead people cannot suffer they have no spirit that could inform them of pain. It would be like the disease of leprosy that God uses to demonstrate dead flesh no sensitivity to pain. .. just as unbelievers having no sensitively to His Spirit. Unless he does the first works.

Mar 28, 2016
Your Very Welcome. There are some nasty folks here but I try let them be nasty and me be civil and polite. No name calling and no intentional insults.
"that you shouldn't go to Pizza places because the were dark inside" LOL WOW that's a new one on me. Definitely out in left field.
What seem to many to be a small thing are words like "many" in Dan. 12:2. BUT I have found them to be valuable little nuggets.
Even though all who have died in Christ as well as those who will be living in Christ at the time of the resurrection there are still Old Testament Saints who will continue sleeping in the dust ontil the Great White Throne Judgement. Proof of this is revealed in Rev. 12:12 where it says "and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."
Notice how the verse says that "The books were opened" and then it says that "and another book was opened, which is the book of life". There is only one Book of life where the names of the righteous are written and many books where that names of the wicked are written. That is why "many" but not all ill awaken and be raised from the dust of the earth on resurrection day.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
An example of am Old Testament Saint who will be judged at the white throne judgement is Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. According to this scripture Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are dead but still alive even though the Bible recorded them as being dead. They are dead from this world but their souls are still alive and sleeping in the dust of the earth.

"I find it difficult due to what I was taught as a child and young adult. And then all these different things people say."
My advise is always, strictly stick to the Word of God and you will never go wrong and it keeps 98% of the confusion down.
If it is not written in the Word of God, It Is Not!!!
"Is this saying that after the resurrection is when we get our heavenly bodies? And not at death?"
These are a couple of good questions and I think a bit hard to answer.
First of all there are a lot of folks who believe everybody such as family members, friends, spouses and so on are going to know and recognize each other but there is no proof of that belief written in the Bible. But in Matt. 22:30 it is clear that just as the angels in heaven. Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
As for when we get our Glorified body?? I go to scripture which tells me that in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man still had eyeballs and a tongue even though his body was rotting in the grave. But the rich man could see Lazarus and Abraham from where he was being tormented and Abraham could see the rich man so I don't thing they were spirits in the sense that they were invisible. So somehow in the spirit realm they could see and recognize each other. Whether or not it was a glorified body I can not say and the rich man would certainly not have had a glorified body while Roasting in a place of torment.
We do know that when Christ was raised from the grave He had received His Glorified body.

There is a free program/file you can download on your computer that is called E-Sword. I can find any scripture I want very quickly with this program/file and it has all kinds of stuff on it you can use for research and when talking about the Bible, although some of the Bible versions you have to pay for but there is a lot of free stuff.
Be blessed my brother from another mother. LOL
I would offer. Not sleeping in the literal dust. or dead. The spirit have returned to the father of spirits and lifeless dust to returned to the clay of the field from where mankind was formed of..

The rich man in that parable represented unbelief . It was the goal of the faithless rich man of making the faith of Christ as it is written without effect. It is showing the false work of the false gospel Taking the it as it is written which represents the faith of Christ and giving it over to men seen or men that have passed away men who lord it over the faith of others. .
The promotion of necromancy. The foundation of hell is not part of that teaching.

Jonas provides a clearer picture to the law of or doctrine of hell. A living working suffering.

The Bible informs us of one manner we can commune with the unseen . Called this manner. . .Our father in heaven. Not dead saints or family members.