Is it a sin to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
I promise I'm not insulting you but that sounded like Nicodemus when Jesus told him you must be born again :LOL:
Lol..I was just wondering what kind of news was being talked about?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I know of two instances only to add to water to make water safer to drink and if you are perishing if you can show me in scripture to drink in recreational way I would be very curious to hear it.
yes physically the clotting factor of thin blood is proportionately lower than thick blood. i don't know how you are picturing Mrs. post, but we're not talking about a drunken binge such that that wounds can scarcely heal, here.

B

Blackpowderduelist

we don't have a 'cell-phone' nor do we want one - we have had several friends
who wanted to 'buy us one', or put us on their PLAN! - but guess what?
Jesus said NO, and we complied...
for real, we just have not EVER WANTED a 'cell-phone, and haven't had a TV for years'...

so our 'real news' always comes from 'up-above'...
Dude Jesus did not tell you that you Jesus did not tell you that cannot have a cell phone. You don't want one, I don't blame you at all., And that's good enough. You don't have to blame it on Jesus to get people to leave you alone about it.

Feb 28, 2016
Dude Jesus did not tell you that you Jesus did not tell you that cannot have a cell phone. You don't want one, I don't blame you at all., And that's good enough. You don't have to blame it on Jesus to get people to leave you alone about it.
============================================
BPD,
have you been drinking (...)?

B

Blackpowderduelist

============================================
BPD,
have you been drinking (...)?
I'm not the one telling folks that Jesus told me, I can't have a cell phone.
That's so cringe worthy.

Feb 28, 2016
just WOW!!!
so those who are chosen, called, elect, are 'cringe worthy' in your eyes?

nuff said and done...

Dec 13, 2020
Texas
It's not a sin to drink, but to be a drunkard, just like it's not a sin to have sex as long as it's within marriage, but it IS a sin to be promiscuous, homosexual, adulterous, etc. Christianity preaches moderation and discipline. Notice how the Seven Deadly Sins don't forbid the act of something, but rather the excess of it (E.G., sex isn't a sin but lust is, eating food isn't a sin but gluttony is, etc).

B

Blackpowderduelist

just WOW!!!
so those who are chosen, called, elect, are 'cringe worthy' in your eyes?

nuff said and done...
Chosen, called, and elect, don't mean Jesus says you can't have a cellphone. That's an absurd statement.

Feb 28, 2016
this present 'world news' has already been written down many Biblical Books ago -
the evil forces have always been here, along with their old pagan ways, which
evidently are acceptable to the common man...
ECC. 1:9.
The thing that has been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done:
and there is no new thing under the sun.

Blessed is the man that holds God's Truth in his heart...

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
I don't drink, but lately, I have been thinking about starting. Millenia ago, I tried a tiny bit but rarely got past the first sip. That stuff is nasty-tasting! It tastes like something that rotted! Some say beer tastes like dishwater. I never drank dishwater, but that's about right.

However, lucky me, for over 30 years, I have had a disease that matured until it is one that only heavy drinkers get, and one of my docs told me I would not live past 2011. Well, it is now 10 years later.

I recently went through the Bible regarding drinking such beverages, and although it does not say not to drink it, I am still thinking. So far, I remain a teetotaler. :)

B

Blackpowderduelist

I don't drink, but lately, I have been thinking about starting. Millenia ago, I tried a tiny bit but rarely got past the first sip. That stuff is nasty-tasting! It tastes like something that rotted! Some say beer tastes like dishwater. I never drank dishwater, but that's about right.

However, lucky me, for over 30 years, I have had a disease that matured until it is one that only heavy drinkers get, and one of my docs told me I would not live past 2011. Well, it is now 10 years later.

I recently went through the Bible regarding drinking such beverages, and although it does not say not to drink it, I am still thinking. So far, I remain a teetotaler. :)
Why would you start of you don't like it? There is no point to impose upon yourself something you don't like. Also of you have a disease that heavy drinkers get, trying to drink may exacerbated the condition.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Why would you start of you don't like it? There is no point to impose upon yourself something you don't like. Also of you have a disease that heavy drinkers get, trying to drink may exacerbated the condition.
Of course, you are right, but I have been hoping to find some way past some difficulties in life -- like an occasional temporary fix for . . . dare I admit a broken heart? Depression is a problem, getting emotional is embarrassing, family-loss is another, my country is our problem, difficulty sleeping is another issue, and on it goes. Furthermore, I must be a royal pain for my husband to live with; I don't like to live with me either.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Oh, man, Magenta!! I sure hope you know I was teasing back. I was so tired that I didn't make that sure!!!

Sorry!! :)

Magenta said:
The Bible is void of chocolate:cry:;):giggle::geek:
Magenta, now, I am going our into the backyard and I'll eat worms.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
so, people that have bad memories ought to drink alcohol, to forget about them is that what the Bible is saying?

Cant they just eat chocolate to ease the pain?

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Of course, you are right, but I have been hoping to find some way past some difficulties in life -- like an occasional temporary fix for . . . dare I admit a broken heart? Depression is a problem, getting emotional is embarrassing, family-loss is another, my country is our problem, difficulty sleeping is another issue, and on it goes. Furthermore, I must be a royal pain for my husband to live with; I don't like to live with me either.
So..you are going to make your situation worse by drinking?
Couldn’t you think of something else like growing closer to God? Asking God for His help? Sorry...if you mentioned this earlier..I only saw this comment.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
That fix you are on about with alcohol is a trap...
I have been at the bottom of many bottles and cans , and ended up destroying my life and those close to me...
Thank God He was there watching me destroy myself , HE was the fix , JESUS CHRIST fixed me , and not temporary either , He came to save me from what you are thinking about doing...

Alcohol is not the answer to your problems , Jesus is the WAY , the TRUTH and the LIFE Amen...
...xox...

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
So..you are going to make your situation worse by drinking?
Couldn’t you think of something else like growing closer to God? Asking God for His help? Sorry...if you mentioned this earlier..I only saw this comment.
Well, of course you don't know how I live, what is going on, etc. ;) But I am partially bed-bound, although not as much as I used to be. I spend hours and hours daily in my Bible. I got the idea that a little occasional wine might help from the Bible. :)