Is it a sin to watch the Super Bowl on the LORD's Day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is it a sin to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday?

• Yes, it is a sin objectively.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, it is not a sin, whether it violates your conscience or not.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, it is not a sin objectively, but only if it violates your conscience

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I noticed this topic coming up on Facebook and am wondering what folks think.

The Superbowl is 6:30 PM on Sunday.

Is it Sabbath-breaking to watch this game?

I consider it a Romans 14 issue myself. As a former Sabbath (Saturday) observer, I would not have watched it personally back then, assuming the game was on Saturday.

However, my firm position is that the Sabbath is part of the Mosaic Law ceremonial aspects, and is no longer binding for a Christian.

And, if it was, I wouldn't call Sunday the Sabbath.

I do believe that Sunday (the Lord's Day) is worthy of observing, though, as it is the day of the resurrection, and indicates that believers have entered into the New Creation in an inaugural sense.

The number "8" has indicated "new beginnings" (as well as the number "50").

Sunday is, in essence, the eighth day, and Jesus' resurrection body is the beginning of the new creation.

Anyways, feel free to vote and give your opinion on this issue. I am not encouraging or discouraging a particular view.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I would like to make it plain that I believe a fully committed follower of the LORD will not be at peace with spending little time in fellowship with the LORD and his people in face-to-face relationships. Some may experience discouragement or health limitations that hinder fellowship at the time....I have been in that situation myself. I didn't attend services for a long time after serious health issues affecting my mobility.

I believe sports have been a distraction with regards to Christianity in the past, as well. Sports can easily become idolatrous if you value them over God and his people. So, I am not unsympathetic to the issues relating to sports and Christianity.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

I consider it a Romans 14 issue myself. As a former Sabbath (Saturday) observer, I would not have watched it personally back then, assuming the game was on Saturday.

However, my firm position is that the Sabbath is part of the Mosaic Law ceremonial aspects, and is no longer binding for a Christian.

I do believe that Sunday (the Lord's Day) is worthy of observing, though, as it is the day of the resurrection, and indicates that believers have entered into the New Creation in an inaugural sense.

Sunday is, in essence, the eighth day, and Jesus' resurrection body is the beginning of the new creation.

Anyways, feel free to vote and give your opinion on this issue. I am not encouraging or discouraging a particular view.
Here's what the word of God says regarding this subect:

=================================================
Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don’t argue with them about what they think is right or wrong. 2For instance, one person believes it’s all right to eat anything. But another believer with a sensitive conscience will eat only vegetables. 3Those who feel free to eat anything must not look down on those who don’t. And those who don’t eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them. 4Who are you to condemn someone else’s servants? Their own master will judge whether they stand or fall. And with the Lord’s help, they will stand and receive his approval.

5In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable. 6Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him. Those who eat any kind of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who refuse to eat certain foods also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God. 7For we don’t live for ourselves or die for ourselves. 8If we live, it’s to honor the Lord. And if we die, it’s to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9Christ died and rose again for this very purpose—to be Lord both of the living and of the dead.
=================================================

I'm one of those who considers every day alike. Every day I pray and read His word. Throughout the day and night I meditate on the God and His word. Why just pick one day?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The Biblical Sabbath starts on Friday at sunset and ends at Saturday sunset.. So engaging in an activity on sunday cannot be breaking the Sabbath..

The Law of the Sabbath is to not do any work on the Sabbath Day.. So watching a sporting event is not Working..

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
The Biblical Sabbath starts on Friday at sunset and ends at Saturday sunset.. So engaging in an activity on sunday cannot be breaking the Sabbath..

The Law of the Sabbath is to not do any work on the Sabbath Day.. So watching a sporting event is not Working..
Just so you know, modern Sabbathkeepers would use this verse to prove that you shouldn't do anything that has to do with your pleasure on this day:

Is 58:13 “If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the LORD honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly;

They would likely describe watching the game as "seeking your own pleasure"...although, in my case, it would be a misery because I don't like football.

Other Scriptures say that you should not do "servile work".

Deuteronomy, in particular, focuses on working being similar to the Israelite slavery to Egypt, which didn't allow them to rest at all..they were enslaved.

I view the Sabbath as being typological of a return to Eden, and the Adamic rest. Part of the curse involved toiling and hard labor in order to produce the food needed to sustain life. The Sabbath was an "oasis" of rest in this world that typified a return to Eden, which itself is related to the eternal rest (New Heavens/New Earth). It is also related to the believers' rest in Christ, which he experiences now.

Those are important observations, though, in Adstar's remarks. I think it's inappropriate to call Sunday the "sabbath". Nor do I believe the Sabbath is applicable. At the same time, I think it's perfectly appropriate to observe Sunday as a "time out" from secular activities, though, especially since it was the day of the resurrection and for the reasons I mentioned above.

L

Locoponydirtman

Supporting what the NFL has proven to support is sin period.
So while football in and of itself has no moral implementation, the NFL as a corporation has inserted itself into the battle of ideas, and on the immoral side.

Nov 16, 2019
What he said. (y)

Contrary to the supposed authority of the Catholic Church to change things, the Sabbath is the 7th day of the week, not the 1st.

Nov 16, 2019

Is that the game with the pointy brown ball?

Just kidding, of course.
I usually can't watch more than two innings before I'm flipping channels.

Nov 16, 2019
I view the Sabbath as being typological of a return to Eden, and the Adamic rest. Part of the curse involved toiling and hard labor in order to produce the food needed to sustain life. The Sabbath was an "oasis" of rest in this world that typified a return to Eden, which itself is related to the eternal rest (New Heavens/New Earth). It is also related to the believers' rest in Christ, which he experiences now.
Yes, in simple terms, the Sabbath Rest we are to enter into is Christ's rest from the taskmaster of sin. The appointed time of Christ's appearance is the Day of Salvation set apart by God in which the slave, the beast of burden, and the foreigner is relieved from his work. :)

John146

Jan 13, 2016

The halftime show is usually pretty sinful.🥴

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I haven’t watched the Super Bowl in years. I like this Super Bowl commercial from years ago though.

Yeah, I was going to say that Budweiser usually have the funniest commercials (though I don’t drink), still funny.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Just so you know, modern Sabbathkeepers would use this verse to prove that you shouldn't do anything that has to do with your pleasure on this day:

Is 58:13 “If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the LORD honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly;
I have never met anyone who has this as teaching..

So if anyone has pleasure in doing righteousness then they cannot do righteousness on the Sabbath. They have to do evil on the Sabbath then??? Unless that is they love evil and hate righteousness?? which means they should not be following anything like the sabbath???? Some people really need to think for a bit before they come up with these moronic interpretations of scripture.. All it should take is 5 seconds for prople to come to see how ludicous such a doctrine is..

Oh and if praying to the LORD gives one pleasure then no praying on the sabbath for these people then?:LOL:

Oh and if you like relaxing and resting then you cannot do this on the Sabbath? :rolleyes:

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Sunday is neither the Lords Day or the Sabbath Day.. I don't believe watching the game on Sunday is anymore sinful than watching the sun set.

T

TheIndianGirl

No it is not a sin. My pastor also encouraged us to wear jerseys to church tomorrow (Jersey Sunday).

Paul said that the sabbath is no longer binding. However, if watching sports on Sundays goes against your conscience for whatever reason, I would not do it.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I have never met anyone who has this as teaching..

So if anyone has pleasure in doing righteousness then they cannot do righteousness on the Sabbath. They have to do evil on the Sabbath then??? Unless that is they love evil and hate righteousness?? which means they should not be following anything like the sabbath???? Some people really need to think for a bit before they come up with these moronic interpretations of scripture.. All it should take is 5 seconds for prople to come to see how ludicous such a doctrine is..

Oh and if praying to the LORD gives one pleasure then no praying on the sabbath for these people then?:LOL:

Oh and if you like relaxing and resting then you cannot do this on the Sabbath? :rolleyes:
I'm just giving you the response. That's how I viewed it as a Sabbathkeeper back then :)

Actually Christians could invite other Christian friends over to watch the football game and they could fellowship with food, etcetera.

But, some legalistic Sabbathkeeper somewhere would be wringing his hands trying to figure out how to accuse him of unfaithfulness anyways..

By the way, they would define doing good deeds on the Sabbath, not as "your pleasure" but the Lord's pleasure...

Some SDAs and others require their church members to have their clothing for Sabbath set out, and the food already made...I think they were only allowed to heat it up.

Jun 10, 2019
isn’t the sabbath rest from work? Why would watching a game be sabbath breaking

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
isn’t the sabbath rest from work? Why would watching a game be sabbath breaking
Sabbathkeepers typically have a long list of do's and don'ts on the Sabbath, and the day beforehand (Friday was called the Preparation Day).

And, the opinions vary.

For instance, some say all of your food must be prepared prior to the Sabbath, and your clothes need to be set out for the next day's service. All your garbage should be taken out, and all your dishes should be done before sunset.

Additionally, some would consider it forbidden to go to a restaurant, because you are making someone else sin by preparing your meal.

Your time should be spent in worship services, fellowshipping, and spending time with family.

You should not do your pleasure on this day, which includes watching football games.

Studying the Bible and prayer would be part of the expected activities, too.

Some would think it's fine to take a walk in a park, enjoying God's creation.

Sports would almost certainly be off limits for serious Sabbath keepers, though.

This is basically the way the cult I belonged to as a young man considered acceptable activity on the Sabbath.

They support their beliefs with Scripture. My objection would be that the Sabbath is not applicable anymore, as it is part of the Mosaic Law. One can compare Col 2:16-17 with Heb 10:1-4, 9:9-11 and see that it is part of the ceremonial "shadows and types".

But they will simply not accept this.

Funny thing is that some Sunday observers can be almost as bad as Judaizers.

To be honest, I believe it is perfectly fine to observe Sunday because of the resurrection, but I would not have a problem with observing Saturday with a sound, balanced congregation but there are few. Jews for Jesus seem to be balanced in this regard, but many Sabbathkeeping people are just a bunch of nuts looking to accuse other Christians of being false believers. Hebrew Roots Movement and "Church of God" groups are at the top of this list. You will find out that a lot of them have other beliefs that are unorthodox, such as denying the Trinity. This is because many of them basically consider Protestants to be cuckolds of the Roman Catholic Church, following Sun worship on Sunday.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
My wife and I will be leaving for church soon to praise and worship the Lord and fellowship with other believers and later today, we will be watching the Super Bowl with family and friends. Go Chiefs! :D

Nov 16, 2019
To be honest, I believe it is perfectly fine to observe Sunday because of the resurrection, but I would not have a problem with observing Saturday with a sound, balanced congregation
This is where I'm at too.

Just curious, did the pastor of the observant Christians you had fellowship with ever talk about how the Sabbath they were keeping at that very moment pointed to and was all about Christ, or was it always about how you have to keep the Sabbath? Did the Sabbath get glorified or did the Christ to whom the Sabbath pointed get glorified?