is it logical

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
what author writes about one thing when he means something else, and when does someone who writes about a cat mean a dog, to do so would make no sense at all. So why is such logic applied to the book of revelation, why do people say it means one thing when it says something else, and why do people call it symbolic and figurative to devoid it of all meaning. when it talks about a woman giving birth to a child it is just that. since when does the bible ever say what it does not mean. as spock would say, "it is not logical jim"

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
David was the apple of God's eye. Jesus said He is a gate. He is also called a Lamb, a Lion, the Rock, Light, bread, and water. He calls Himself a vine, the root of Jesse, and us branches. Israel is called a vineyard. We are called salt, His body, sheep, and His bride. God is a potter. Metaphors are not meant to be taken literally per se, but use a common saying, or idea, to give a picture in order to simplify a concept.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
what author writes about one thing when he means something else, and when does someone who writes about a cat mean a dog, to do so would make no sense at all. So why is such logic applied to the book of revelation, why do people say it means one thing when it says something else, and why do people call it symbolic and figurative to devoid it of all meaning. when it talks about a woman giving birth to a child it is just that. since when does the bible ever say what it does not mean. as spock would say, "it is not logical jim"
Figurative language is often obviously figurative. In revelation the woman giving birth to a child,
seems to be the church, bringing about a person who has authority, whether Jesus or someone else.
It could also be a group, like the apostles. Language is always a summary of ideas and concepts,
which is how language works.

What you mean about contradictions cannot work, but allusions to movements, attitudes it can.
For instance dogs turning back to their vomit, is about people seeing the truth of their position and
it failure, then returning to it as if it makes sense.

So there is a logic. Jesus used it with John the Baptist being the fulfilment of Elijah, if one has the
faith to see it.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Thou dost protest too much! :eek:

U

UnderGrace

Agree, it is absolutely illogical to think that "shortly" does not mean shortly.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So why is such logic applied to the book of revelation, why do people say it means one thing when it says something else, and why do people call it symbolic and figurative to devoid it of all meaning.
The book of Revelation -- for the most part -- should be taken in its plain literal sense, and the majority of its prophecies speaks of future events (before and after the Second Coming of Christ). There is also a general chronological progressing from chapter 1 to chapter 22 (with a few exceptions).

At the same time there a few metaphors which are included in Revelation, For example the woman mentioned in Revelation 12 represents believing Israel, and Death and Hades have been personified as riding on a pale horse and being cast into the Lake of Fire.

The reason Revelation was deemed to be symbolic is because of early misinterpretations, followed by incorrect Catholic and Protestant eschatology (which still prevails), primarily Preterism and Amillennialism.

U

UnderGrace

The book of Revelation -- for the most part -- should be taken in its plain literal sense, and the majority of its prophecies speaks of future events (before and after the Second Coming of Christ). There is also a general chronological progressing from chapter 1 to chapter 22 (with a few exceptions).

At the same time there a few metaphors which are included in Revelation, For example the woman mentioned in Revelation 12 represents believing Israel, and Death and Hades have been personified as riding on a pale horse and being cast into the Lake of Fire.

The reason Revelation was deemed to be symbolic is because of early misinterpretations, followed by incorrect Catholic and Protestant eschatology (which still prevails), primarily Preterism and Amillennialism.
Well I am glad the words are to be interpreted from the literal view, since I read....... "time is at hand" "quickly" "shortly come to pass" .....God obviously was being very clear, because I know He knows about time.

Apr 3, 2019
Agree, it is absolutely illogical to think that "shortly" does not mean shortly.
Or this "that" is "not that" when what Peter stated does not align up with dispensational theology.

(Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel )

Some even claim Peter should have stopped citing Joel after the "pouring out of the Spirit."

U

UnderGrace

Or this "that" is "not that" when what Peter stated does not align up with dispensational theology.

(Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel )

Some even claim Peter should have stopped citing Joel after the "pouring out of the Spirit."
All there in plain sight now, no longer sealed or hidden.
Thank you:)

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Well I am glad the words are to be interpreted from the literal view, since I read....... "time is at hand" "quickly" "shortly come to pass" .....God obviously was being very clear, because I know He knows about time.

That's an extremely loose quote from scripture though and I bet you don't think Zephaniah 1:14-18,Ezekiel 30:3-4,,,Joel 1:15,,Isaiah 13:6-9 ,,,Obadiah 1:16-16,,,Joel 2:1-2,,,,ect. meant the nations were judged and the day of the Lord took place in 600-500bce right?

U

UnderGrace

That's an extremely loose quote from scripture though and I bet you don't think Zephaniah 1:14-18,Ezekiel 30:3-4,,,Joel 1:15,,Isaiah 13:6-9 ,,,Obadiah 1:16-16,,,Joel 2:1-2,,,,ect. meant the nations were judged and the day of the Lord took place in 600-500bce right?
All I am stating is God seems pretty clear in His words so that has to be the starting point.....why do these words from Revelations become figurative when other words must be read as literal.

I am very well read, yet I have yet to read in literature from every time period starting with Beowulf through the Enlightenment, Renaissance, Romantic, Victorian, Realism, Existentialism, Modernism never once is "quickly" "shortly" regarded as a figure of speech or symbolic term for long periods of time.

So now I must somehow accept God through John, writing to the seven real churches and the saints therein, is making them stretch their minds so that when John writes "shortly" he was employing figurative language....not logical.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
All I am stating is God seems pretty clear in His words so that has to be the starting point.....why do these words from Revelations become figurative when other words must be read as literal.

I am very well read, yet I have yet to read in literature from every time period starting with Beowulf through the Enlightenment, Renaissance, Romantic, Victorian, Realism, Existentialism, Modernism never once is "quickly" "shortly" regarded as a figure of speech or symbolic term for long periods of time.

So now I must somehow accept God through John, writing to the seven real churches and the saints therein, is making them stretch their minds so that when John writes "shortly" he was employing figurative language....not logical.

lol,I think it's like Genesis 15:16. Four hundred years and four generations later the sins of the Amorites reached there full measure but it wasn't the end judgment of the whole earth.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Many of the prophecies did come to pass within the first few centuries. That does not change the fact that many others were for the future.

U

UnderGrace

Many of the prophecies did come to pass within the first few centuries. That does not change the fact that many others were for the future.
Where is the dividing line in Revelations or the Olivet discourse?

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Where is the dividing line in Revelations or the Olivet discourse?
Your thinking Jesus explained the things in Revelation before he was slain(see Rev. chapter five) the lamb was found worthy because he was slain,,,and was able to loose the seals,,,so it's illogical to think he spoke of it at the Olivet discourse which took place before he was slain.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
You don't understand, do you?

'A woman clothed in the moon and the sun and the stars, giving birth in front of a seven headed dragon' can not and will never mean a woman clothed in the moon and the sun and the stars, will give birth in front of a seven headed dragon.

I hope you get it now.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016

You are the one who is saying "..for the most part.." otherwise the author did not give us a heads up.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
You are the one who is saying "..for the most part.." otherwise the author did not give us a heads up.
there is nothing in rev 12 the says the woman is israel. she is the queen of israel who gives birth to a son who will be the ruler of heaven and earth