Is it non-christians' fault that they are non-christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
In contrast; you are trying to convince us that Paul is actually saying

Hey Guys if you are both Christians, but you are not on the same level you cant get married
But if one is not a Christian at all, pls by all means.....

See my dilemma..

But what I do know, is God does not like divorce, so it would not be His first choice, He prefers that they try to make it work

The same grace does to apply to someone who is single, Hence the introduction said to the married people
Yes, God hates divorce... but God would not allow two people to live in a state of perpetual sin until they die, which is what would happen if indeed it is against the law for christians to marry unbelievers.

I just underlined that so others might notice it.

Last edited:

jandian

Feb 12, 2011
I understand what a yoke is .....but like I said, for me personally; if God advises against it; I'm not going to say to Him you know what I'm stronger, so I have this one Lord, don't worry about it.

But then it depends on what you want from marriage to...my purpose in this life cannot afford to partner with someone who is not board with the things of God...I'd pray for them, I'd counsel and everything else that I would do for any other unsaved person...

I always look back at the old testament, where God will always send the his chosens to find a mate from the family of God...and whenever people married outside the faith, God was not pleased....So this didnt start with Paul, it was always there in practice as all scripture was written for our learning .

Aug 2, 2009
I understand what a yoke is .....but like I said, for me personally; if God advises against it; I'm not going to say to Him you know what I'm stronger, so I have this one Lord, don't worry about it.

But then it depends on what you want from marriage to...my purpose in this life cannot afford to partner with someone who is not board with the things of God...I'd pray for them, I'd counsel and everything else that I would do for any other unsaved person...

I always look back at the old testament, where God will always send the his chosens to find a mate from the family of God...and whenever people married outside the faith, God was not pleased....So this didnt start with Paul, it was always there in practice as all scripture was written for our learning .

Honestly, I don't think I would ever marry a non-christian either.. but I don't think people should take that verse as a strict rule about marriage if its not really what Paul was saying.

jandian

Feb 12, 2011
Honestly, I don't think I would ever marry a non-christian either.. but I don't think people should take that verse as a strict rule about marriage if its not really what Paul was saying.
Hey dont get me wrong....I dont think its a sin either, I think it is advice for living and if we dont adhere to it , it may not taint your salvation, but it will affect your purpose at least until the person gets saved, so why bother..

.However, if the person comes to Christ before you get married,,,All glory to God...That may just make your motive for trying to encourage the person to be saved a little tainted, but a soul would be saved from hell nevertheless;)

S

Sarah88

Very well said, Jandian. That's the key I guess. What's your purpose in life and in getting married? If it's to glorify God then you have to look for someone with whom you can further His kingdom on earth.

G

GreenNnice

The Lord leads (each of our lives individually.) This can, perhaps, open another can of debate but His eye is on the sparrow, and, how you interpret that birdy phrase can, if you let it, lead you to know what God truly meant by 'unequally yoked' and any other bible term that brings you into fierce debate. And, fierce debate is good, as long as it's edifying each other :)

Sorry, I got to go to work now and will later look more in depth at those two words and provide what I think after having prayed heavily because, at this point, I am distraught by thinking that it is OK commonplace no-worries to date unbeliever and regardless of context of unequally yoked referring in 2 Cor 6:16 I am POSITIVE God wants us to follow Him and IF you are dating an unbeliever they will DRag you down and you will put at risk your relationship with God , at the least. And at the most, depending how you believe, limit your rewards in Heaven and on Earth, and, even you could again, depending how you believe as a christian , unsturdy your salvation.

Deep thought, and, I got to go now, God bless you all, I enjoy reading this and other like yoke thread Zere did yesterday :)

V

violakat

Ok, even if the pastor I heard is wrong about that scripture, why did Paul write these scriptures telling christians to not end a marriage with an unbeliever solely because they are unbelievers?

"To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him." - 1 Cornithians 7:12-13
You can't just stop at verse 13 and say that Paul approves of marriages between Christians and non-Christians. You need to go on read the rest of passage in context. If you read in verse 16, you will see that he specifically states, "16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?" Not meaning that we are selves save them, but that the way we live our lives will be such a testimony that they are compelled to accept Christ as Savior.

G

GreenNnice

ok, here is my take , and, again the fevered debate here had legs, make that, had wings.

6:14 says what it says with not being yoked unequally to an unbeliever and then comparing that to light and darkness not able to be yoked .

The true message for me is the verse itself which stands alone. A lot of verses singular meaning must be deciphered by reading the verse, or, even verses, above/below it for its true meaning.

This 2 cor 6:14 verse stands alone. 'Do not be unequally yoked (kjv) or bound together (nasb) with an unbeliever. Light cannot co-exist with darkness.

Zere, am I okay with that dual existence Ed-translation ? (That's my real name, fyi)

Anyway, Yes, the next verse speaks of Belial but it tooo stands alone, it is in no way a reference to the 'unequally yoked' verse above it. So...that said...is Paul really talking about people being unequally yoked equal in meaning to having BOTH idols (gods) and God in their lives ? No.

Belial reference therefore is NOT what is referring back to what Paul is saying means to be unequalky yoked. It is only to STRESS that loving God and loving gods won't work, just like a non-believer joined to a believer in partnership (marriage) will not work.

God bless. Great thread, zere, your passionate, guided response shows you know an awful lot about theology and can debate it very well, I just hope you know you got glorious representation from the ladies , Sarah8s, jand, and, rach. :) and, course, you too vKat

G

GreenNnice

Julieannie?

I think what would be interestingng, not to mention, enlightening, would be WHAT your girl friend's situation was marrying an unbeliever.

What was the guy's spiritual background, like were his parents taking him to church growing up or never chosen to believe in Christ thru countless offerings to accept Him all thru life?

I think the ONLY way you should marry an unbeliever is twofold and the reasons meld together , in a quité paradoxical way, I might add.

You become into a situation from God extraordinarily different, maybe both find each other on a deserted island and it just makes biblical sense not to have sex before marriage, so, BAM!, get married and that conscious-driven thought is flushed, and, alzó, the 2nd 'fold' is God MUST, MUST, MUST, lead....

The Lord leads, and, no matter what the situation is, even God asking someone to kill His ONLY son(uh-huh, that's exactly what God asked Abraham to do. Kill his son, Isaac!) or whatever, even, gasp!, God asking you to....marry a non-christian, pray, pray, and, then still His will , doooo IT. God knows... Follow Him, God cares not about anything else, including all that money you make, He don't need it, He needs you. And, He needs you to Follow His leading, for His blessings for you that way will be twofold, threefold, fourfold.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
I agree with GreenNnice. It is always best to go with what you know the Lord is telling you, even if you aren't sure how it lines up with scripture (But, if that's the case, then you better be awfully sure you're hearing from God before you do anything crazy :)). I personally take dating on a case-by-case basis, always checking with the Big Boss before going out with ANYONE.

Snackersmom, I will answer your question in a bit :)
Has it been a bit, yet ? :D