Is it OK for an AI chat bot to preach in church ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
machines cannot be self aware, thats just hollywood
Yeah but people who don't know how computers work don't know that.

We can make some almost convincing imitations. And some believe if it can pass the Turing test (if you can't tell the difference in a given interface, you might as well consider it a human for the purpose of the interface you're using) then you should call it a human.

But they are still imitations. If a computer takes over the world it will be because someone told it to, not because the computer decided to on its own.

proutled

May 9, 2023
texas
I should mention that some church services are more compatible with this than others - any church where the service is very formal and scripted. An AI could follow the script just as well as a pastor.

In fact if you didn't already know that was AI powered you might not be able to tell the difference. The video in the OP looked just like some church services.
HELLO, I'M sure you would know, the holy spirit would let you know, you also would spiritually starve to death, you would have no peace, no joy, you would know,

lawrence101

Jan 25, 2019
canada
Yeah but people who don't know how computers work don't know that.

We can make some almost convincing imitations. And some believe if it can pass the Turing test (if you can't tell the difference in a given interface, you might as well consider it a human for the purpose of the interface you're using) then you should call it a human.

But they are still imitations. If a computer takes over the world it will be because someone told it to, not because the computer decided to on its own.
What if the computer is a neural network that learns by association and by being given many carefully chosen examples ?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
machines cannot be self aware, thats just hollywood
They do seem to have something demonic about them, though. Just look at Terminator. Possibly the AI is an easier interface for demons to work with?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
They do seem to have something demonic about them, though. Just look at Terminator. Possibly the AI is an easier interface for demons to work with?
No, it's just easier for Hollywood to make scary monsters out of. That's the movie equivalent of low hanging fruit.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If it is true that there is something inherently demonic about them, why are you using a computer that can run one for posting on this forum?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
If it is true that there is something inherently demonic about them, why are you using a computer that can run one for posting on this forum?
Artificial intelligence. Not computers. I'm not against electricity or computers (or even AI technology per se) for that matter. Just I can see the direction it is being taken, and it is for evil.

No, it's just easier for Hollywood to make scary monsters out of. That's the movie equivalent of low hanging fruit.
I think Hollywood uses such "scary monsters" because we subconsciously understand there is something close to reality about them. I think that's why witnesses report electrics and similar appliances playing up with "ghosts" or "aliens" around. Maybe having a totally electrical avatar would be easier to control? I dunno for sure, but do know the Hollywood images of these are demonic. I also know that AI have said some pretty strange stuff on occasion already, enough to freak out a number of people dealing with them. Bear in mind that AI is effectively an image of something (or someone) else, and the book of Revelation also talks about an image being created.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Artificial intelligence. Not computers. I'm not against electricity or computers (or even AI technology per se) for that matter. Just I can see the direction it is being taken, and it is for evil.

I think Hollywood uses such "scary monsters" because we subconsciously understand there is something close to reality about them. I think that's why witnesses report electrics and similar appliances playing up with "ghosts" or "aliens" around. Maybe having a totally electrical avatar would be easier to control? I dunno for sure, but do know the Hollywood images of these are demonic. I also know that AI have said some pretty strange stuff on occasion already, enough to freak out a number of people dealing with them. Bear in mind that AI is effectively an image of something (or someone) else, and the book of Revelation also talks about an image being created.
Of course you get some odd combinations. You also get a lot of drivel. Infinite number of monkeys y'know.

You are reaching really far on a lot of this stuff. By the same logic the Bible supports Mary Had A Little Lamb.

K

KlND

I had a computer tell me when my Pizza was ready to come pick it up the other day. Who knows what's next?!

I don't like the thought of AI/Computers Preaching.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Over the years I've heard a preacher or two that appeared to deliver sermons prepared by AI, or maybe is was LP (lost prep).

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Over the years I've heard a preacher or two that appeared to deliver sermons prepared by AI, or maybe is was LP (lost prep).
It was probably om. He found an online message and copied it.

Jun 19, 2023
It's like dating a beautiful "woman" only to discover Lola. Nagging back of mind stuff curtain pulled back, so-to-speak.

para . . . .