Is it OK to lie?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2015
A scenario:
An angry mob comes up to you, saying: "We are going to burn out that preacher of yours, do you know where he lives?"

You are very familiar with his house, but do you answer the howling mob with his address?

stand2

Dec 6, 2017
In a way, perhaps. But compare "You can only speak words that are completely truthful.... to anyone, at any time", to the actual words of the Commandment.
Point well taken. It could get ugly at a social gathering. However, I feel we should, by all means try to be truthful. Once the sliding starts it wouldn't be far down the slope to be practicing deceit.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
A plain and simple "Yes" or "No" question. Did Rahab out and out lie to the authorities?
Yes she did but she was not praised for her lie she was praised for her faith in God that He would take care of her and her family by protecting the spies. However, the lie was a sin that she was forgiven for.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
A scenario:
An angry mob comes up to you, saying: "We are going to burn out that preacher of yours, do you know where he lives?"

You are very familiar with his house, but do you answer the howling mob with his address?
Yes I know, but I'm not telling you where he lives.

Feb 7, 2015
Point well taken. It could get ugly at a social gathering. However, I feel we should, by all means try to be truthful. Once the sliding starts it wouldn't be far down the slope to be practicing deceit.
You included a very real and truthful concept there.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Originally Posted by Willie-T

In a way, perhaps. But compare "You can only speak words that are completely truthful.... to anyone, at any time", to the actual words of the Commandment.

stand2 Quote

JesusLives Quote:

Sometimes Silence is golden.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
IDK, Willie, with that logic adultery is ok because David did it and was considered wise. Or drinking to excess is ok because Noah was just and faithful in his generation. And so on..
Jesus said there is none good. I believe that we should learn from the mistakes and faults of great men and women, not to justify doing the same sins but to avoid those sins and find a better solution.
The men and women of the Bible were human and the only one who was perfect was Jesus. Every single one sinned a different sin (except the obvious one), so because they followed God to the best of their ability and knowledge we should be allowed to indulge in their imperfections?
I don't think so. There are many scriptures on lying. If you feel doubt about it, please look them up and talk to God about it.

Feb 7, 2015
IDK, Willie, with that logic adultery is ok because David did it and was considered wise. Or drinking to excess is ok because Noah was just and faithful in his generation. And so on..
Jesus said there is none good. I believe that we should learn from the mistakes and faults of great men and women, not to justify doing the same sins but to avoid those sins and find a better solution.
The men and women of the Bible were human and the only one who was perfect was Jesus. Every single one sinned a different sin (except the obvious one), so because they followed God to the best of their ability and knowledge we should be allowed to indulge in their imperfections?
I don't think so. There are many scriptures on lying. If you feel doubt about it, please look them up and talk to God about it.
Except for the fact that Rahab was lauded for specifically that one point in time when she lied and was deceptive to protect the spies. I don't think she was cheered for being a hooker.

Feb 7, 2015
All sorts of good Biblical lying here:

1 Samuel 19New International Version (NIV)

Saul Tries to Kill David

19 Saul told his son Jonathan and all the attendants to kill David. But Jonathan had taken a great liking to David 2 and warned him, “My father Saul is looking for a chance to kill you. Be on your guard tomorrow morning; go into hiding and stay there. 3 I will go out and stand with my father in the field where you are. I’ll speak to him about you and will tell you what I find out.”

4 Jonathan spoke well of David to Saul his father and said to him, “Let not the king do wrong to his servant David; he has not wronged you, and what he has done has benefited you greatly. 5 He took his life in his hands when he killed the Philistine. The Lord won a great victory for all Israel, and you saw it and were glad. Why then would you do wrong to an innocent man like David by killing him for no reason?”

6 Saul listened to Jonathan and took this oath: “As surely as the Lord lives, David will not be put to death.”

7 So Jonathan called David and told him the whole conversation. He brought him to Saul, and David was with Saul as before.

8 Once more war broke out, and David went out and fought the Philistines. He struck them with such force that they fled before him.

9 But an evil[a] spirit from the Lord came on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand. While David was playing the lyre, 10 Saul tried to pin him to the wall with his spear, but David eluded him as Saul drove the spear into the wall. That night David made good his escape.

11 Saul sent men to David’s house to watch it and to kill him in the morning. But Michal, David’s wife, warned him, “If you don’t run for your life tonight, tomorrow you’ll be killed.” 12 So Michal let David down through a window, and he fled and escaped. 13 Then Michal took an idol and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats’ hair at the head.

14 When Saul sent the men to capture David, Michal said, “He is ill.”

15 Then Saul sent the men back to see David and told them, “Bring him up to me in his bed so that I may kill him.” 16 But when the men entered, there was the idol in the bed, and at the head was some goats’ hair.

17 Saul said to Michal, “Why did you deceive me like this and send my enemy away so that he escaped?”

Michal told him, “He said to me, ‘Let me get away. Why should I kill you?’ ”

Feb 7, 2015
Rahab's falsehood in Joshua 2:4-6 is not an island by itself but one of many in a vast archipelago. The midwives lied to Pharaoh's gendarmes (Exodus 1:15-20); Jael tricked Sisera to his doom and received the praise of God's prophetess (Judges 4:18-21; 5:24-27); Solomon's threat to divide the child was intended to trick the harlots and thereby extract the true confession of the rightful mother, albeit through a disavowal (herein was "the wisdom of God," I Kings 3:28); Jeremiah's lie to the princes of Jerusalem is noteworthy (Jeremiah 38:24-28); there is the deception by the Lord Himself to conceal the true mission of Samuel (I Samuel 16:1-5; and see also I Kings 22:19-23); Michal puts off Saul's dragoons with some blanket legerdemain (I Samuel 19:12-17); David feigns a psychosis before Abimelech (the occasion of the praise of Psalm 34); David gives crafty counsel to Jonathan (I Samuel 20:6, 28-29).

These are a few of the praiseworthy actions of godly men and women bearing acceptable false witness.

(Gary North)

Last edited:

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
Honestly, I hold to the principle that lying is an abomination. Yes, Rahab lied, but where does God praise her lying?
Interresting that I have yet to read scripture where God praises the sinful act. Plenty of praise for intent, but not for action.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
To justify lying in order to save a life implies that God has so few resources at his disposal that He needs our lie to rescue someone from a difficult situation. -J. Carl Laney, Rahab:Her Fib and Her Faith

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
Romans 3:7

For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Each one of us has done something wrong against the commandments. We each have broken them God does not praise us for sinning in any form or for any reason.

We are all in need of God's grace and forgiveness. On judgement day we will not be lauded for our sins not lying or anything else whether it protected someone or not. Sin is sin and God does not sin nor condone it in any form or for any reason.

The wages of sin is death and we are all worthy of the sentence all except Jesus who lived a perfect life and made the sacrifice so that when we ask for forgiveness and repent meaning we say we are sorry and turn away from sinning then we are covered with Jesus blood and God sees Jesus life covering our sinful one. We have nothing but the blood of Jesus to cover us and our sins that have been repented and forgiven.

Jesus said to the woman that was brought to be stoned after being caught in adultery - Go and sin no more. You don't hear about Rahab lying again after the spy incident as living with the people who saved her she learned to obey the law. Thou shalt not lie maybe she didn't know different at the time of the spy protection incident as she was not a Jew.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Elijah is a bit involved, so I'll let you study that some about the 100 prophets he hid in a cave, and the year he spent hiding in a widow's house (talk about "the appearance of evil"). Now, I'm sure some here will say both of those were just innocent "deceptions", not real lies, but I think we all know better.

But, Rahab flat lied, bare-faced, to the cops while the spies hid and listened to her tell the lie.
Oh ya that is true isn't it?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Look, you all assume a lot and I mean that respectfully. We are only dating so, my money issues are mine and mine alone to deal with. Dating couples don't have to tell each other everything, if we were engaged it would be totally different.

Lynn, I think you are the only person who actually understand my situation and i appreciate you not passing judgement. I did thank him for the offer and said his giving nature is one of the many things that I love about him :)
hey hey woah I was not passing judgment I was giving my two cents that is all.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Elijah is a bit involved, so I'll let you study that some about the 100 prophets he hid in a cave, and the year he spent hiding in a widow's house (talk about "the appearance of evil"). Now, I'm sure some here will say both of those were just innocent "deceptions", not real lies, but I think we all know better.

But, Rahab flat lied, bare-faced, to the cops while the spies hid and listened to her tell the lie.
do you mean the widow in Zarephath, to whom Elijah was sent? (Lk 4)

wasn't it Obadiah who hid the prophets?

God doesn't commend Rahab the harlot for lying in Hebrews, does He?
and since God cannot lie, and we are to be like Him.... :confused: