Is it right to call Jesus your brother?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2009
Eph 1:5Having predestinated us unto the ADOPTION of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
if we have been adopted into tha family of God, then Jesus would be our brother through adoption, seeing Him as the only begotten from the Father, if we are children of God then we would have the same Father

C

Cup-of-Ruin

Greetings,

Mark 3:35

"For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is My brother, and My sister, and mother."

But I would consider that James who was His actual brother, but said "James a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ to the twelve tribes which are dispersed abroad, greetings."

Probably displays the humility and and compassion of the Lord more than anything when He calls a Christian His brother, He does say "whosoever shall do the will of God", we can only try, probably fall well short.

S

Slepsog4

Jesus calls us his brothers. We are co-heirs with him.

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Heb 2:11 - [/FONT]For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica] 12 - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]saying: "I will declare Your name to My brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Ro 8:17 - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.[/FONT]

Jan 8, 2009
"...and mother"

Raises another good point that I've never thought about before. Is this giving permission for people to call Jesus their son?

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Yes, Jesus is our brother spiritually speaking...He is not everyone’s brother though because there is a qualification. We have to be born into the family of God and be willing to follow Christ.

Dec 24, 2008
Yeah,
God is our Father
Jesus Christ is our brother
The Word says Jesus is not ashamed to call us brethren

C

Cup-of-Ruin

Yeah,
God is our Father
Jesus Christ is our brother
The Word says Jesus is not ashamed to call us brethren
Greetings,

No this is incorrect. Jesus is right to call us His brethren, but it is not right to say that 'God is our Father and Jesus is our brother' it is not biblical to say that. Jesus is also called our Father.

C

Chalkboard

This confuses me; God is our Father. God is Jesus' Father. In our sense of 'family' this would make Jesus our brother. But then there's the whole The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit are all one.

Would that be why we would call Jesus a Father instead of calling him our Brother?

(For arguments sake; it might just be easier to refer to him as Saviour or Lord?)

C

Cup-of-Ruin

This confuses me; God is our Father. God is Jesus' Father. In our sense of 'family' this would make Jesus our brother. But then there's the whole The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit are all one.

Would that be why we would call Jesus a Father instead of calling him our Brother?

(For arguments sake; it might just be easier to refer to him as Saviour or Lord?)
Yea we are getting into Trinity doctrine here, and it is very complicated, what you need to know is that Jesus is God! OK...He is the Father...He is the I AM, He is God, right...Now if Jesus has decided that He wants to call you His brother, in all His infinite mercy, you should except that, because He is being very understanding and kind, this is an example of His humanity, it is not a license to call Him your brother, it is a display of his HUMILTY, that to us is unwarranted, we should respect this with eternal gratitude. I mean why would the lord of the universe want to call me a brother? I really should be very, very grateful for this, I don't deserve it, this is a gift, and I should it accept it as a gift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.